Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
lovemarta
Style_council
lovemarta

I’m so touched by the video, I’m doing anything I can to raise awearness.
April 20 is the day! At sundown get your KONY posters, tag your city! So when everyone wakes up, they will all be aware of KONY.

What do you think of this?

posted almost 3 years ago
jocandy
Style_council
jocandy

well at first it can be inspiring and it convinces people to join the movement BUT look at the facts. go do some research before believing things because nowadays the internet is full of corrupted topics,videos, and websites.

citysleek
Style_council
citysleek

It’s amazing how fast the video went viral. Everyone at school knows about it, and we all can’t wait to tag our town. (:

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

i’m not really sure what it is, can someone give me a summary?

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I’m skeptical of where all the money that invisible children collects actually goes. great that they were able to make it a viral success, but we’ll see if any positive change comes of it. if anything, operation lightning thunder prompted more civilian massacres and failed to enact any political change.

NowhereGirl
Style_council
NowhereGirl

I think that it’s so lovely to see so many people be engaged in something like this, it actually gives me some hope in humanity. But, at the same time I do feel that it is a little bit scary, that it’s so easy to make people believe in something just because it comes in a fancy package. With this said, I don’t mean that I don’t think that what the movie says about Kony is true, but still if you get what I mean.

The film really touched me me in many ways, even if I am still a little bit critical, it’s just that it seems a little bit funny that at the same time that oil is found in Uganda, there also is a reason for USA to enter Uganda. It just feels… well, a little bit suspicious. But, great that so many people are engaged in this, nice to see.

yasminekhoury
New_user yasminekhoury is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When yasminekhoury reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
yasminekhoury

It’s really cool that a lot of people want to help, but Invisible Children is not the group to help it with. I wish a lot of people – especially the groupies on my facebook newsfeed – would do some research into it before jumping on board with something that has the potential to be extremely dangerous. Half of the new ‘activists’ don’t even know where Uganda is – which, granted, shouldn’t stop you from helping out, but it seems like the kind of thing that should be basic. I researched IC about five or six years ago, and they were great back then, but did you know that today, only roughly 30% of their profits go towards helping the children? The other 70% is spent on salaries. They also support military intervention, of which the biggest problem is that the people guarding Kony are children, and they’ll be the ones dying for him.

This is a great place to start looking for information on the group, and I’d look elsewhere for more information. I’d definitely like to try and become more active in this cause, but I’m going to go through other organisations like Unicef or the Red Cross.

VersatileMoTIF
Style_council
VersatileMoTIF

@yasminekhoury Thank you for the info. I posted about this in a recent forum and on my blog about my skepticism of this “charity campaign”. I did lots of research which confirmed what I was thinking. Sometimes I think people just want to seem well versed and aware of social issues and politics that they never fully research; they just go with what the majority is saying. IC used that video to play on the emotions of people….and it did just that.

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

saw this on fb and I laughed a little.

styleoasis
Style_council
styleoasis

I totally agree with Jocandy. I live in South Africa and I can tell you that there are a lot of sides to this story and everybody should do their own research, look at other perspectives.

byWoodsandWater
Style_council
byWoodsandWater

I’m sceptical, not because of the goal or the ideals but… I just don’t know. What the campaign is in regards to is nothing new… I do find it somewhat humorous that one video can evoke so much discussion, hope, movement; there are always betterments to reach for! We should always be trying to make the world a better place, not simply through one Kony 2012 campaign, but always!

sahkz
Style_council
sahkz

the power of the internet…do more research about it though

GabrielleMwangi
Style_council
GabrielleMwangi

I am from Kenya (which is next door to Uganda, in case you don’t know). I can tell you for a BOLD:{FACT} that the Kony 2012 video grossly misrepresents present day Uganda. It’s outrageous how the video insinuates that the whole country is war torn and all children are in danger. This could not be further from the truth. Uganda has come along way; for starters there has been no activity from Kony and his LRA army for the past 7 years, the footage the video shows is from 2003. Second, the LRA was was only on a secluded part of Uganda…in the north through the border in to Sudan. Third; Uganda has come a long way and Kampala (the capital) is one of the fastest growing African hubs. They have major cities, music and culture, universities (Makerere, arguably one of the finest in Africa), a vibrant night life, fashion and literature and very active middle class. It irks me that the Kony video showed nothing but devastation from old footage. I think both the good and the bad should have been equally represented. No question about it; Kony is a mad man that should be brought to book for his crimes against humanity. I wholeheartedly believe the Kony2012 video is a fraud for the simple reason that it withheld the wrong truth about Uganda.

GabrielleMwangi
Style_council
GabrielleMwangi

Sorry, I meant withheld the whole truth about Uganda.

lovemarta
Style_council
lovemarta

@Rielle, WOW! I did not know that. Thank you so much for this information. I still want KONY to go down but this changes the way I think in many ways.
THANK YOU!

HelloLovelyish_
New_user HelloLovelyish_ is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When HelloLovelyish_ reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
HelloLovelyish_

I think it’s great to pay attention to ppl like kony but we should be aware that there are many leaders like him and that should also have the bad attention, look at places like syria we need to help the world and get rid of ppl like these!!

priscillaraq
Style_council
priscillaraq

I love this movement! I just wish and hope it’s not another facebook trend. I want people to actually go through with this. I want to be able to be apart of a change in this world!

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION