Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Think of the common stereotypes people assign to the different decades, like poodle skirts for the ’50s, bell-bottom leisure suits for the ’70s, or legwarmers and acid-wash jeans for the ’80s. Think how people like to mash them all together for decade-themed parties, and parody the outrageousness of what seemed so cool at the time.

Since everybody seems to love to celebrate the decade 20 years previous, that means we’ve only got a decade before we start seeing 2000-2009 in parody! So think ahead: What would you dress in (or dress your kid in!) for a 2000s-themed decade party?

The fun thing about these is dressing in the most outrageous, obnoxious, and embarrassing clothing for the time, the kind that makes you think “What were they (we???) thinking?” The more awful, the better. (And don’t forget about the earlier part of the decade; we’ve gone through a lot of changes in ten years!). Let’s celebrate the millennium decade, from the massively trendy to the ugly and outrageous— and even where those points sadly collide.

My Thoughts

Girls: Leggings as pants tucked into Uggs, of course. On top, probably one of those smocked tunics that belled out enormously from an empire waist, that made even the skinniest of girls look pregnant. (Wasn’t it nice when we learned to cinch things with belts?). Enormous sunglasses. And of course a massive hobo bag or maybe a label-ridden “it bag.”

Guys: Jeans sagging so much that boxers are visible in their entirety— or, conversely, tight-fitting girl pants. Spikey hair with blonde highlights (from the earlier part of the decade). Plastic thick-framed glasses or those shutter shades Kanye made famous again. You could also turn to countercultures and go the emo look, with lots of black and plaid, eye makeup, and hair falling over one eye.

Now it’s your turn.

posted over 4 years ago
xvavavava
Style_council
xvavavava

earlier 2000’s—
for most awful examples see: buffy the vampire slayer, when they’re in college
those jeans that laced up all the way on the side and had no back pockets
low rise and extremely low rise jeans/skirts
ruffled skirts
trucker hats
boho style

later 2000’s—
hipster clothes: skinny jeans, ironically ugly vintage (or fake vintage from urban outfitters), grandma glasses, flannels
high waisted shorts/jeans/skirts
keffiyeh scarves
hypebeast fashion (see: kanye west, karmaloop)
uggs & crocs
ed hardy, spandex as pants

posted over 4 years ago

SewScarlet
Style_council
SewScarlet

HIPSTER- the whole ‘I bought this look for $200 and it looks like I found it decaying on the street under a bus’—Also from the very early 2000’s the bell bottom come back, low rise and shrunken t-shirt that shows the belly button AND muffin top from wearing long tight sweaters over jeans.

posted over 4 years ago

antoinettemarie
Style_council
antoinettemarie

uggs, crocs, ed hardy!

posted over 4 years ago

mayfield_vintage
Style_council
mayfield_vin...

Birkenstocks. If I were a guy, I would wear cargo pants.

posted over 4 years ago

New_user 41457 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 41457 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I think of the jeans in every color of the rainbow! I personally hated them and am happy that no one really wears them anymore.

Matched with one of the shirts that had an expression on it. For example “I love my boyfriend”. The annoying ones.

I never seem to remember the good fashions only those I really disliked.

posted over 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

early 00s:
really low cut + tight jeans with flares at the bottom- muffin top lol.
or really wide legged jeans (but not baggy)- i had a few pairs of these and they were so unflattering on me cos i’m short :S
those white adidas sneakers that were kind of puffy and with 2 coloured stripes on the side.. everybody had them!
those horrible, tacky, tight slogan tees that girls wore, that said stuff like “you’ve been a bad boy, go to my room!” and “i’m a virgin! but this is an old shirt” ….. EWW
i remember there was a ‘peasant’ trend with long flowy skirts + tops.. sort of an early version of boho i guess :P
oversized hoodies with “USA” printed on them
“metrosexuals.”
sandals/flip flops with a kitten heel :S

later 00s:
emo subculture :P
guys wearing girl jeans.
leggings as pants
bright coloured or fluoro trackpants with zips at the ankles (this was huuuge in melbourne where i live, everyone had them and they cost $70 or $80!!)
pinafore dresses (those are cute though!)
fake vintage

those are all i can think of for now!

posted over 4 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

wow what a fun idea!!!
I think that Abercrombie trend—>school girl clothes
definetly uggly—i mean uggs

posted over 2 years ago

Earthchild404
Style_council
Earthchild404

This may have just been a Spencer trend but here goes. On top, a white men’s undershirt and a necklace with either my name or some really skeevy saying. Oh and something I forgot to mention is the undershirt has to be cut so it gets caught in my cleavage so i can bitch at people for staring. Really short denim skirt or, more likely, denim shorts so short that the pockets are hanging all the way out of the leg when tucked in. And the ever ugly Uggs. For my hair, I’ll have it in a bun, but almost all of it has to be falling out. My makeup will be an overload of mascara, eyeliner, waaaaaaay too much lipgloss, and white/silver/blue eyeshadow. Plus a spray on tan so I will be orange brown year round.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION