Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Fashion_Industry
Style_council
Fashion_Indu...

What city do you think should be called the worlds best fashion city?

Where is the best fashion city in the world? Well, that is pretty hard to say. First of all, what is the criteria to be the “best” fashion city? What does that mean exactly? Is it the city that creates the most fashion trends? Is it the city that has the most fashion designers? Is it the city that manufactures the most stylish clothing…

I live in the New York area so I think that New York Fashion is the best. I guess if I lived in California, I might think that LA Fashion or possibly fashion from San Francisco was the best, I wonder if the people living in Illinois, think that Chicago fashion is the worlds best… Anyway, odds are that it may be New York, Paris, Milan, etc.

What city do you think should be called the worlds best fashion city?

posted over 4 years ago
1 2
LilSunShine
Style_council
LilSunShine

Milan, London and New York.

posted over 4 years ago

amazingrace245
Style_council
amazingrace245

New York, Paris, and London. I’ve only been to New york (but many times) and they do have some very fashionable people as well as their share of practical people. They have lots of stores though..so I’m not really sure about it.
Paris and London-I’ve never been to either but I want to go!

posted over 4 years ago

mashmallow
Style_council
mashmallow

TOKYO FTW :D

posted over 4 years ago

babygurlpoint5
Style_council
babygurlpoint5

NEW YORK CITY!!! Paris is def a close second… my opinion anyways

posted over 4 years ago

thewrotethewrit
Style_council
thewrotethewrit

well, ‘Imsilly’ I’ve been to Tokyo, and I don’t think it has anything on London! I lived there for over a year so, I’d say I got a fair experience of the place, but in comparison to LDN the style in that city is none existent.
Call me bais, as I am English, but we’re always one step ahead. I’m not saying I’m some wild and crazy dresser, in fact I believe some of my outfits are very simple and casual, but I believe English people can get away with a lot of things because they’re English and people know Brit fashion to be quirky.

I also love LA and Melbourne, the thrift stores there are unbelievable! But no where compares to home – London.

Long live the Queen!

posted over 4 years ago

ragilmega
Style_council
ragilmega

Paris, Paris, and Paris

posted over 4 years ago

imsilly
Style_council
imsilly

Well, “thewrotethewrit” I’m sure London is a great fashion city. I mean I have lived here my whole life. I’ve killed a quarter of a century taking in things like how people dress. I can attest to London having something special about it. It isn’t a patch on Tokyo fashion wise.

London fashion is kind of I dunno, how you’d say a little exclusive or limited to certain types. While in Japan virtually everyone dresses well and in about a million different ways. People also spend a lot of time modifying and altering what they were then over here. Have you seen the stick the Japanese prime minister got for wearing an ugly shirt on a public day out? Culturally they just care a lot more about how they look, a lot of people in London would walk around in their dressing gowns all day if it wasn’t so cold and wet.

I think people confuse “coolness” with fashion. London is a city that is intensely cool. It is probably the most interesting city in the western world and without a doubt in the english speaking world. Though most of it is a fashion waste land, only sometimes permeated with trendy ghettos. Walk around the hip parts of Hackney on a weekend and you’ll see this. Mixed in with the yutes and crackheads are random fashionable posers. Head to Dalston late at night you’ll have a Turkish working mans club right next to a swanky gay bar. Meaning half the street is wearing beige slacks and the other is in drag. Kinda means it’s a cool place, but a lot of the time people are dressed like tramps.

Maybe if you run in limited circles of just trendies you’ll not see that and I know some people do that. I mean there are plenty of people I know who moved to London to do stuff like go to University or art college like St Martins or Goldsmiths and just closet themselves into a young, hip, arty, ditcher croud who just live and die between Stoke Newington, Hoxton and Whitechapel. Travel outside those eras and the place decends into definate mediocracy.

Also the one thing that limits London in terms of fashion is how sometimes I find that compared to cities like Tokyo there aren’t as many places to find interesting clothes and a lot less variety then in other cities. There is a lot of bullshit clothing for sale, especially second hand in the cooler market stalls and shop here in London. I remember recently walking into a secondhand shop in Soho packed full of people mostly under 20. We noticed that they had a rack of workman jumpers from the 70 or 80s. The ones with leather shoulder patches and and woolen ridges. We turned to each other and said, “aren’t those the jumpers binmen used to wear?” and we looked around and there were a couple of people in the shop trying them on. We thought, “Why are people trying to dress like binmen from the 80s?” London sometimes has this ridiculous aspect to fashion where people will just buy any old crap because it’s old or because someone else is wearing it. That gets to me a lot.

London is somewhat uniform in it’s fashion sense. It becomes homogenised very fast and stays for a long time. There is almost a uniform if you are young and fashionable here where as other cities are full of people moving on to newer things. Anyone who lives here will know this. The shabby-chic, indie-geek, tweed and floppy hair croud dominate and it’s been like that for nearly 20 years, 20 years for gods sake! I remember when I was a kid and Jarvis Cocker was living down the road from me in North Kensington people would stop and stare at him as he walked passed like he was some stretched out retro elf. All skinny cords, pointy shows and velvet jackets. Nowaway you’d be hard pressed to find any self respecting trendy to not be able to pull out an outfit that didn’t look like a shrunken thrift shop explosion.

I think it’s maybe because my idea about dressing is somewhat different from others here in London. I have noticed that I select clothing differently from others. I think I don’t look at those around me at all. I really couldn’t give a monkeys how people in London dress because it’s not that interesting to me. I draw randomly on other inspiration and I think that is why I don’t respect London’s fashion sense too much as it’s too introspective. I for instance will see a Waylon Jenning’s album cover from the 60s and think I like his boots and dress jean. I know I won’t find them in London so I’ll buy from abroad. If I wanted to shop in London I’d find it hard to look individual or try to express how I feel because there isn’t the choice all the time.

posted over 4 years ago

jillvogue
Style_council
jillvogue

New York City

posted over 4 years ago

shoegirlath
Style_council
shoegirlath

Milano and Paris

posted over 4 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

Iowa City, IA :)

posted over 4 years ago

mialav
Style_council
mialav

I think a lot of British girls dress really nice, so probably London…. But you just see a lot of… “wrong” as well haha. But then again, you do everywhere, and what I think is “wrong” is just my opinion after all.

But seeing as I’m Finnish, I’d have to say Helsinki is pretty awesome as well.

posted over 4 years ago

VivikaChic
Style_council
VivikaChic

Milano, Paris , NYC and London!

posted over 4 years ago

Kayyy
Style_council
Kayyy

london.

posted over 4 years ago

sundaysecrets
Style_council
sundaysecrets

Tokyo has the MOST VARIETY. People will wear anything they feel like, I feel like they have no inhibitions there haha but I love it. Chic, funky, etc. I LOVE NYC fashion… the edginess of metropolitan life. I live in downtown LA… and fashion is really laid back and chill here. Def a LOT of people who just throw on tee + jeans + sandals/boots to go about their day. BUT I do love LA street fashion. I’m into hip hop culture as well so gotta looooovee the kicks!

posted over 4 years ago

parisianDenim
Style_council
parisianDenim

Paris, France I bet never been though… but soon

posted over 4 years ago

NiceandPretty
Style_council
NiceandPretty

London…but I could say Florence as well. Florence has it all fashion, art and pretty people

posted about 4 years ago

Head2Heels
Style_council
Head2Heels

Milan.. I haven’t been to NYC or London. I have been to Paris for awhile and its full of tourists so you can’t really say its that fashionable.

posted about 4 years ago

hadelicious
Style_council
hadelicious

NYC! Then maybe London..

posted about 4 years ago

whoawhoaworld
Style_council
whoawhoaworld

Depends what kind of style you’re looking for.
NYC, Paris, Seoul, Hong Kong, London, LA

posted about 4 years ago

Bennie52491
Style_council
Bennie52491

NYC ! But I think it shouldn’t matter what city your in because now you can shop for a lot of things you want online :D

posted about 4 years ago

MakeupxSparkles
New_user MakeupxSparkles is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When MakeupxSparkles reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MakeupxSparkles

paris

posted about 4 years ago

MakeupxSparkles
New_user MakeupxSparkles is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When MakeupxSparkles reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MakeupxSparkles

paris

posted about 4 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION