SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
cem90
Style_council
cem90

Hi, ladies.
My sister and I are taking a ballet class this summer, our first in about ten years, and we have no idea where to get leotards and shoes or anything else we’ll need.
Do any of you know of any major chains or stores in the DC area that may carry any of these items?
Thanks.

posted about 4 years ago
sliponroses
Style_council
sliponroses

I don’t live around that area, but if you’re willing to try online shopping, discount dance supply has a good selection of leotards. From experience they are pretty reliable. Hope this helped =)

posted about 4 years ago

Kittany
Style_council
Kittany

Yeah I can’t think of any major chains… (I’m also not from that area…) but I know at some shoe stores, you might be able to find basic dance shoes. I’ve also bought ballet shoes before on Amazon. Dancewear Solutions is another online place with good selection. Other than that, I’d probably just start searching the yellow pages for dance supply if you’re trying to find a place wear you can try on items first.
Hope you have fun!!!

posted about 4 years ago

rachellam
Style_council
rachellam

Hey there, I was in ballet for 8 years so I may be of help haha. I personally live in California, so I’m not sure about stores in your area, but I always relied on discountdance.com. The site has tons of different styles of leotards and many different brands of shoes for a cheap price.

posted about 4 years ago

polkadotlace
Style_council
polkadotlace

I wouldn’t recommend purchasing online since you can’t try the stuff on and it wouldn’t be very fun if you got something that didn’t fit and had to keep tugging while you’re dancing.
If you have a Bloch store near you, they’re really great and have almost everything.

Otherwise.. here’s a site which might come in handy:
http://www.dance.net/topic/4371990/1/Ballet-Beginners/The-informative-guide-to-choosing-leotards-slippers-and-tights-With-Pictures.html

posted about 4 years ago

whoawhoaworld
Style_council
whoawhoaworld

I know American Apparel sells some leotards. Not purposely for ballet but they do have some things. Kind of expensive in my opinion, but I wish you luck!

posted about 4 years ago

verucasalt22
Style_council
verucasalt22

discountdance.com is a great place to go. They have a large variety of brands && items and it’s incredibly cheap compared to going to buy it at a store or other websites. Plus, the stuff is cute :))

posted about 4 years ago

MakeupxSparkles
New_user MakeupxSparkles is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When MakeupxSparkles reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MakeupxSparkles

I don’t live around that area :s

posted about 4 years ago

RayofSunshine91
Style_council
RayofSunshine91

discountdance.com
onlinedancewear.com
danyswarehouse.com

posted about 4 years ago

welovecolors
Style_council
welovecolors

You should head over to our site here and check out all of our dancewear. Everything is high quality and reasonably priced… plus all 3 of our leotard styles come in 51 colors so you can have some fun with your ballet outfit. We also sell extremely durable Microfiber tights in 51 colors that would be great for your classes as well. We ship to DC for a flat rate of $5 and if everything is in stock, your package will get to you in 1-3 business days. Hope you check us out and find what you need! Good luck and have fun in your class!

posted about 4 years ago

inthenameoffashion
Style_council
inthenameoff...

Look some places up online, i’m sure you’ll find something.

posted about 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

you could just hit up american apparel, but there are generic brands that do special stuff. all you’ll need is a leotard, like a three quarter sleeve bathing suit style, tights or a skirt, and shoes. usually your instructor will sell shoes, the soft kind or pointe if you need them.

posted about 4 years ago

fashionhigh
Style_council
fashionhigh

Well i’m prolly too late, but i used to do Ballet and was certified with the Royal Academy of Dance. :) But any who, I would purchace simple pink ballet shoes ( the slip ones/ AKA flats), some tights (pink usually), and a leotard—i always liked black, some studiios you have to wear a certian color and what not. Also, you can buy shorts @ dance stores and skirts. Enjoy dancing! :)

posted about 4 years ago

contemporarity
Style_council
contemporarity

http://www.discountdance.com is absolutely the fastest shipping! Seriously I don’t even have to order it express, they’re just that fast. And I live in Hawaii. Nobody ships fast to HI.

I would not recommend American Apparel. Their dancewear is cute but it’s actually no good for actual class. The leg holes are too high and they go up your butt and there is no bra lining in the front. It’s not real dancewear.

—Also, Re: “can’t try it on if you buy online”: ballet leotards are STRETCHY.
I’m 5’5" and 120 lb., and I still fit my size SM leo’s from 8th grade! But I prefer M for comfort.

posted about 4 years ago

franchettezapanta
Style_council
franchetteza...

But anyways, ordering online is always a good option. As a ballerina myself, I depend on the Danskin brand which has great quality shoes and leotards. You may find some tights at your local Target.

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION