Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
lauradora
Style_council
lauradora

In the past year I’ve been to two museums, which doesn’t seem like a lot, but is the most I can remember going to, and I’ve really enjoyed the experience.

I went to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York about a year ago and last week I went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Since I’m so in love with New York, I was surprised that I was disappointed in MoMA (modern art isn’t my cup of tea) and I liked the Philly museum better!

I saw the Cezanne and Beyond exhibit in Philly and then walked around the rest with a friend. We both loved the Monet section and the European art from the 1800s. Plus, there was a painting of a guy who looked almost exactly like my boyfriend’s dad, so we thought it was priceless!

What I want to know is, do you like to view art, and if so what museum do you like and what painters speak the most to you?

posted about 5 years ago
RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

Sadly, I’ve only been to a few in Paris. I really enjoyed the Musee D’Orsay. I also enjoy small exhibitions in my city. Most of them are local/ regional artists.

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 23272 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 23272 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

You MUST go to the Smithsonian museums in D.C. They’re a real treat, and you can definitely see some treasures there. While you’re there, be sure to visit the Peacock Room at the Freer Gallery of Asian Art. It’s got the fabulous “Princesse du pays de la porcelaine”, an absolutely lush Whistler work that is a must-see. The room itself is wonderful, and has a ton of great Asian porcelain works.

I adore art, and personally, I prefer Classical painters to the modern, abstract ones. While I respect the thought and concept of modern art, I’d rather have my art please the eye more than the brain. So while i like Dali and Escher, I really love the likes of Velazquez and Fragonard.

posted about 5 years ago

lauradora
Style_council
lauradora

Pahooey,

My sister actually lives right outside D.C., so I’ll have to visit her and then the Smithsonian.
Thanks!

posted about 5 years ago

harleygrant
Style_council
harleygrant

The V&A in London is superb.

posted about 5 years ago

thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
thefieldsofe...

The Met’s newly-renovated Greek and Roman Art wing is amazing.

posted about 5 years ago

twinkl
Shop_seller_2 twinkl is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
twinkl

I love contemporary art museums…. Visited MoMA in NY when I was there this February (first trip to NY!) but wasn’t as impressed as I’d hoped. I did appreciate their architecture exhibits (especially the models)—wish I could’ve visited while I was still an undergrad studying architecture. It is one of the biggest modern art museums I’ve been to though. My favorite’s probably MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) in Los Angeles. The building itself isn’t much to look at, but the most memorable exhibits have been there. It’s also split up into 3 separate locations—I ADORED the Murakami exhibit at the Geffen Contemporary. Also love their museum store. Among the contemporary/modern art museums I’ve been to, I’d rank them like this:

1. MOCA
2. MOMA (NY)
3. LACMA
4. SFMOMA

I don’t particularly enjoy looking at the more traditional artwork in museums… to me the real thing and the posters/prints are kind of the same. I think the Getty Center’s gardens are excellent though. Like the gardens much more than the architecture. The artist responsible for the design of the gardens is an interesting character.

I’m drawn to artwork that’s more spatial… work that HAS to be seen in person and walked through or around to really be seen. An experience.

Architecturally, the Contemporary Jewish Museum in San Francisco by Daniel Libeskind is excellent.

As you can see, my museum experiences are limited to California :(. So many museums I desperately need to go to… #1 on my list is the Tate Modern.

posted about 5 years ago

meganc
Style_council
meganc

Im from Australia.

I’ve been to the NSW Art Gallery in Sydney twice in the last two years – both times to see the Art Express (HSC art student’s work from the previous year) and the Archibald prizes (yep, Ive seen the Heath Ledger painting first hand)
I’ve also seen almost the whole of that gallery – totally loved the older paintings, all the romantic and that sort…

Ive also been to the MCA (modern comtempory art) Gallery in Sydney for the past to years (art excursions for school) Just a couple of weeks ago I saw the Simryn Gill exhibition they had there…it was so good, she is a wonderful post modern artist.

Last year I saw the Biennale which is a post modern exhibition thats on every two years. Some of these artworks were creepy and what made it scarier was I missed the ferry (part of the exhibition was on Cockatoo Island on the harbour) and got stuck out there in these huge old school factories full of post modern artworks…
In February I went to the National Art Gallery in Canberra, saw some Picasso’s and Magritte’s and Mondrian’s first hand. Magritte is so good, hey?

Ive been to a few smaller, local galleries too, but the ones mentioned above were the best I’ve seen so far!

I love going to galleries!

posted about 5 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

The Philadelphia Museum of Art is excellent. As well as the National Gallery in DC.
I love Dutch painters for their use of color and realism.

posted about 5 years ago

quimbly
Shop_seller_2 quimbly is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

quimbly

I am a huge art lover, my tastes definitely run in the post-60s world, so I don’t know if my suggestions will jibe with yours. I live in NYC, so I think of MOMA as slightly mainstream and watered down. I enjoy the Whitney very much, and the New Museum, and of course bouncing all over the Chelsea art galleries. But my all-time favorite museum has to be the Tate Modern and the Serpentine Gallery in London. Especially since the Tate Modern has that ginormous turbine hall, they are always showing some spectacular and huge installation that looks mind-blowing as always!

posted about 5 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

i live in Melbourne in Aus so there’s not many big museums i can go to without having to travel very far!! when i went to adelaide and sydney i visited the museums there, but usually i just go to the national gallery of victoria (NGV) in the city, they have 2 or 3 major exhibitions each year with diff artists.
My fave exhibition that i’ve seen so far was artwork from the Guggenheims, that was at the NGV in 2007 i think…

but anyway i love art so i would love to go to any gallery really! i’m a big fan of modern art, going to a big gallery would be one of the fist things i would do if i ever get to go to europe :D

posted about 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

I live in Sydney, Aust, and the last art gallery I went to would have to be the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art). It was awesome, they had a new exhibition on Yayoi Kusama and Australian contemporary drawing. :) Amazing. I’m a big fan of drawing, and some of these artists had appropriated the medium in such a modern way, it really changed your mind on how you viewed drawing itself… Traditionally, people would view drawing as a sort of “preparatory” stage prior to the “real” work, but the exhibition made you really see what could be done with just pencils/graphite/charcoal.

Man, sorry for the overenthusiasm, I just really like drawing, haha.

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION