SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
chocofusion
Style_council
chocofusion

‘ello fellow chictopians,
i live in canada, where it’s cold enough to have igloos in the winter and ride polar bears to school. so my main concern now is how dress warm inside a nice wintercoat and still look chic.
most people in canada would still insulate themselves in fleece(why???), hoodies, sweats and uggs. however, i rather never touch any of those.
i really need ideas… right now i’m thinking of black sweater or cardigan, thick tights, oversized sweater ….
i would really like to hear your opinion on how to look good in winter.

posted almost 6 years ago
AmyK
Style_council
AmyK

berets, scarves, boots!
and for inside a knit dress with tights!

Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

Cashmere, while expensive, will keep you really really warm without adding bulk under your coat.
I also like thicker black denim skinny pants tucked into boots, instead of leggings. When I lived in Chicago, I had a set of cashmere socks I would wear with my dressier boots… it felt like I was wearing Uggs.
Uggs also makes boots that don’t look like Uggs.

swinginthelobby
Style_council
swinginthelobby

layering your tights will really help as well—play with different colors and textures!

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

Wearing thick tights underneath jeans is good fir keeping warm, as is layering tights like swinginthelobby suggested.

Invest in thin(ish) sweaters than can be worn under cardigans/other sweaters/chunky knits cause they will make a good base for layering while still keeping in a bit of warmth (the rest of the layers will make up for what warmth the thin sweater can’t keep in).

And the most important (and one that a lot of people seem to have trouble with when buying coats and then trying to layer) thing when buying a winter coat…..make sure it’s a coat with loose arms. There’s no way you’ll be able to decently layer underneath if you buy a coat that has thin arms that are really fitting. Before you buy a coat try it on with a couple of long sleeve sweaters layered over each other and see if the arms and underarms feel too tight. If it does then it’s no good for layering or wearing anything thick underneath, and not worth buying unless you like it that much and don’t mind being cold in it.

Berets, scarves and a stylish pair of gloves will also be very useful, and it’s definetly worth getting a decent thick scarf (cashmere scarves are great for keeping the heat in, I swear by mine every winter)

futurelint
Style_council
futurelint

I live in Minneapolis and have the same problem. I wear a lot of boots (be they tall, shorter, granny, vintage, but NEVER Uggs) and usually wear tights with knee socks under the boots. I’m a layering kind of gal since you never know what’s going to happen in the winter. When it’s -20 outside, coming inside, I get really hot fast. So I usually layer a tank, then a long sleeve, then a cardigan or sweater or thick vest. I’ve also found many chic vintage wool coats to wear around (especially long ones) so I don’t have to look like I am going snowmobiling everyday. I’m never without a scarf and earmuffs! Good luck neighbor to the north!

chocofusion
Style_council
chocofusion

tights and layered sweaters and stuff sounds very nice …. thanks chictopians !
lol futurelint, i know exactly what you mean by snowmobiling outfits.. they are soo funny, especially when little kids in canada are forced to wear full snowsuits and boots in the winter it’s sooo funny.

Nanny
Style_council
Nanny

Haha, yeah, it’s really not easy to look chic in winter! I live in Germany and it’s also getting pretty cold here. And then it happens: people getting out their ski-jackets, fleece shirts, walking boots – in the city!!! I’ll never understand why. Anyway, I usually go for nice leather boots, thick tights (then I can even wear skirts) and a lot of layering. I have a vast collection of scarves in every color, so I can give my coats a different look all the time. And I think that hats are underestimated!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION