Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
chocofusion
Style_council
chocofusion

i’ve always had this burning desire to purchase some vintage/secondhand stuff, especially those amazing oxford shoes.
however, i’ve alway had a very discerning olfactory, so i haven’t been able to find good clothing that doesn’t smell foreign or offend my love of cleaness.
i’m also rather concerned about secondhand shoes since it is possible to contract foot fungus, sticky feet etc.
i would like to know how fellow chictopians delt with such quandary, pretty clothing or hygienne?
thanks, xoxo

posted about 6 years ago
veer
Style_council
veer

I haven’t found a secondhand piece that doesn’t smell funny ever, so I throw them in the laundry basket or send them to the dry cleaner when I come home.
I don’t know why they have that smell, but it’s gone after a wash
As for shoes, i haven’t bought any yet, but the secondhand shoes i’ve seen looked really new so I don’t think that’s a problem

posted about 6 years ago

aliwishesbear
Style_council
aliwishesbear

I can do second hand clothes and accessories….but not shoes…just ick….just me though

posted about 6 years ago

mangopeachapple
Style_council
mangopeachapple

When you go buy vintage, you really need to leave all your ‘worries’ behind. I, on the other hand haven’t been able to do that. I go to amazing vintage stores and never purchase anything because I just can’t stand the smell, as well as knowing I’m wearing something other people once wore.

posted almost 6 years ago

maitabaello
Style_council
maitabaello

the whole vintage shop smells funny actually. thats why you have to wash it or sometimes soak it in hot water..
but the smell and eveything is soooo worth it because of the fab pieces you will find.

rowena_jordana
Style_council
rowena_jordana

it’s all between your ears

jetaime
Style_council
jetaime

I lovee the smell of vintage (but I do get rid of it, because lots of people don’t)! and I love vintage because it means there is a story behind it! For example, I bought this amazing 40s dress, and it really made me think of all the people who must have worn it!
Vintage is so special, and definitely worth the smell because it’s unique!

dianamatic
Style_council
dianamatic

I feel that a dry cleaning bill is a small price to pay for finding a vintage Versace party dress for less than a hundred bucks. For shoes, Lysol disinfectant spray and Dr. Scholl’s insoles will remove smells and germs. Saddle soap is good for spiffing up the outsides.

keely5
Style_council
keely5

clothes tend to smell less bad (or more like you) after they’ve been washed a few times.

shoes are a whole other problem tho…

meredithjane
Style_council
meredithjane

Be very careful with dry cleaning. I don’t recommend it for most early pieces (by early I mean 50’s and earlier — I don’t know much about 60’s and later). Depending on the fabric, dry cleaning can absolutely destroy a piece because dry cleaning isn’t actually dry (some fabrics like rayon shouldn’t get wet) and the chemicals can stress and possibly eat through fabric. I have had good luck with dry cleaning, but I prefer to clean things at home in my bathtub.

If you are unable to tell what fabric your garment is made from, I’d take it to a vintage store or someone knowledgeable about fabrics to tell you what it is. From there you can search online to find out how to clean it. Some pieces just aren’t worth cleaning if dye will run, it will shrink, etc. If you won’t wear it in that condition without cleaning it, please, keep it in your collection, pass it on to someone who will wear it, or sell it. Don’t compromise the garment just because it smells a little dusty!

As for shoes, I’ve never gotten anything funky from them. I’ve cleaned my vintage shoes either. It’s a good idea to take them to a cobbler to see if they are fit for wearing out and about if you have any concerns.

Can you tell I love vintage?

opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

I’ve never washed any shoes I’ve gotten second hand and I’ve never had foot fungus or funky smells in shoes. I always wash clothes before wearing them though.

posted over 3 years ago

Vintageholic
Style_council
Vintageholic

Don’t buy shoes, I wouldn’t either.

posted about 2 years ago

alwaysvintage2013
New_user alwaysvintage2013 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When alwaysvintage2013 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
alwaysvintag...

vintage clothing may have a funny smell but it’s really cool. mostly everything is unique and there’s a lot of styles that you can’t find anymore. The shirts are especially cool because they have real funny logos, words, etc. If anyone is looking for vintage clothes for a boutique come to always vintage.
Email: Tameka@alwaysvintageclothing.com

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION