Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

EDIT, PLEASE READ: Just in case you haven’t noticed, I wrote this post two whole years ago in 2009!
Therefore, a lot of the things I wrote in this post may not be that relevant anymore since the style gallery rules have changed so much.
Would like to hear your opinions on the new system!! If you want to read my newest post on this topic see page 3. Didn’t want to post it here because this post is already long enough as it is!!

(this is my original post from 2009) Hey everyone, i’ve noticed that lately there’s been some discussion about how to get outfits into the style gallery. I have seen several comments by new members of chictopia saying that it is difficult for new members to get their outfits into the gallery, difficult to be acknowledged and to have people comment on their pics.

So I just wanted to make a post telling my view point, and i’d like to know what other people think or suggest!!

Yes I agree that often it’s hard for new members to get votes, (I myself didn’t get any pics in the style gallery until i had been on the site for several months, and there are still times when my photos don’t make it.) but of course it’s not about how many friends you have. It’s also about the quality of your outfit and the quality of the photo too.
Actually I see a lot of newly uploaded photos that are very dark, or blurry, so they will be unlikely to get in. Even if you don’t have a camera with high megapixels you can still get a nice clear photo by taking it outside, not in a room. And you can always use photoshop or another program to edit the photo a little bit if it’s still a little dark. (but of course if you edit it too much it can look very fake!) Also, usually, a flash on the camera isn’t very flattering to your outfit.
And I generally don’t give votes to photos that only show part of an outfit, ones that cut off the head and feet, ones where people’s faces are blacked out, or photos that have been taken in front of a mirror and you can clearly see the mirror and the photo. I just think that the photos would be so much nicer if they showed the whole head and body, and I think sometimes a smile or facial expression can be the best accessory of all!! Maybe people might be embarrassed about heaps of people seeing their face, but I would love to see someone’s face rather than big black spot, and it’s so much more personal too.

I have seen some people mention that 3 chic votes in a day is too hard to achieve, especially for new people, so the time period should be extended. I’m not sure I agree with this. Although I know the first 3 chic votes are very dependent on who is online during those 24 hours, which may be a lot (i’m not sure about traffic on this site), but there may be much fewer amounts people who actually take time to go through the ‘new photos’ section and vote. And of course it’s also dependent on what kind of style and types of clothing each person likes.
However, I’m very aware that there are literally hundreds of new photos are submitted to the site every day. And while it may seem harsh, only a handful of photos will get in, while the majority of the photos won’t make it into the gallery— but not all of them should anyway. Even if you post a nice clear photo it might still not get in. Maybe sometimes the outfit is too plain and needs another accessory, maybe something doesn’t fit properly, maybe the items don’t exactly fit together (such as needing a blazer instead of a cardigan), or maybe the outfit is nice but it’s just not something other people can relate to or be inspired by :( When my posts don’t get in I try not to get too down, I try and use it as a learning tool, thinking how I can make the outfit more interesting with different accessories, whether the clothes are actually flattering on my body shape, etc.

So what do you think? Do you think the time should be extended? Is the site too picky in choosing outfits? Not picky enough? Do you think it just takes time for new members to find their way and start posting quality pics? Is getting your photo in partially dependent on how well known you are or how many friends you have?

I hope this post was alright (good work if you read all the way through this essay!!) and I hope people understand what i’m trying to communicate, and don’t think i’m trying to be bitchy, horrible or acting superior by saying this stuff :( I just thought there should be a topic for people to talk about this kind of thing because i’ve seen discussion about it all over the site!!

posted over 5 years ago
1 3
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

Haha i didn’t see this post was from 2 yrs ago so I was confused xP I think the system now isn’t as fair because I feel like the same types of outfits get picked by the site to be in the style gallery. I see really gorgeous outfits that don’t make it in even though they are very popular. I understand the admin want to make sure the style gallery only features quality outfits but this just leads to outfits of the same type getting in and it gets boring.

posted over 3 years ago

stellapnp
Style_council
stellapnp

actually i wanted to say one thing:P on the first 24 hours of one of my posts, more than 60 votes and comments, and 3 favorites. now 139 votes, 10 favorites and 109 comments. not in the style gallery:)

posted over 3 years ago

YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

Stella, dunno what to say…this has been a topic for a while…guess also the views matter, anyhow I dunno what to think. It happened pretty much the same thing with some of my looks and it’s ages I don’t get to Style Gallery…
As I usually say, let’s try to enjoy the community without thinking about the Style Gallery :)
And…I love your style Stella! :)

posted about 3 years ago

stellapnp
Style_council
stellapnp

Thank you very much Youthagainstfashion!! You are a very stylish man!!

posted about 3 years ago

blackbronzedbeauty
New_user blackbronzedbeauty is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When blackbronzedbeauty reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
blackbronzed...

Stella is awesome…I posted my first pic ever a few days ago….she is my first fan and the first one to comment…LOVE HER!!!

posted about 3 years ago

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

Honestly, I think that a chictopian shouldn`t be editor`s pick or go to the style gallery more than once in a month or even better two months! That would give opportunity for more people to shine and wouldn`t be the same thing over and over again! I already I saw a girl go to the style gallery more then 2 times in a month and another one being editor`s pick twice in a month! Not very democratical I guess.

posted about 3 years ago

AnneTheQuene
Style_council
AnneTheQuene

I agree with rhemel. I see almost the same faces in the style gallery. There are lots of amazing Chictopians who don’t get the acknowledgement they deserve.

posted about 3 years ago

floral
Style_council
floral

I have been watching the site for quite a while but only started posting pictures around 2weeks ago. I do think its hard to get noticed, but I think it helps to be really involved. I go on the new photos section; comment and vote, everytime I log on, and my photos are improving for that. I notice what I vote for or wont and change my photos and outfits acordingly.
I posted my first outfit with one comment and no votes at all, but as I learn more about the site and my own styling im starting to get more everytime I post.
So im sure with time and commitment I will get recognised and im sure everyone else can as well :)

posted about 3 years ago

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

Please explain me this! I don`t know why my photo didn`t go to the style gallery! I had 82 votes, 49 comments and 6 favorites for that photo! I saw that people with all of that much less than me made it into the style gallery and they are not even style icon! I would like to know why it`s like that, and it`s not the first time it happens to me! It looks like the photos that go to the style gallery are the ones that are chosen just because the editors want and not following the rules! Than why there are rules? In that case they should say: hey people we are chosing the ones to go to the style gallery based on our taste and not following any other rules! I am just saying that because I am a former journalist and I don`t really like to stay quiet! My photo has been posted 22 hours ago and I don`t think it will go to the style gallery anyway in the following hours!

posted almost 3 years ago

YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

That’s very strange, but it happened some times to me too…lots of votes and comments but the pic didn’t make to the Style Gallery. In the last changements to the rules, it was said that also the VIEWS count a lot now…but in your case it’s pretty strange because 49 comments means that at least 49 ppl viewd your page…and for sure even more…!! But I think also that it depends by the very first hours in which the pic is posted, the amount of views in the very first hours I guess…that’s my opinion!

stellapnp
Style_council
stellapnp

Guys I totally agree… I mean, 10 favorites in a picture… it can’t be too bad, can it?:P

sugarsugar_dina
Style_council
sugarsugar_dina

Yeah same. I’ve had some with 40+ votes in the first day and a good deal of comments but I’ve never made it into the style gallery. :/ Almost everything I post gets an ‘audience pick’ badge which I thought meant it got bumped to the Gallery but I guess not. I’ve been on the front page under the Style Icon Candidates of the month for getting fans all of October but yeah….

YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

The Audience Pick badge means ppl actually love your look, so it’s quite possible your look may get into the Style Gallery, but it’s still not sure.. :(
Even my last look reached 54 votes and about 43 comments but it didn’t make to Style Gallery!

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

yeah…who cares??

1 3
REPLY TO DISCUSSION