Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
wildirisstudio
Style_council
wildirisstudio

Hi. I’m one of those people who can really tell the difference between a beautifully tailored piece of clothing and one that’s well designed and cheaply made. That’s my problem with a lot of the big designers doing lines for Kohl’s and Target, the clothing looks ok on the hanger in the store, but generally they won’t wash well or hold up over time like quality clothing. Are most people ok with this? Do you only expect to get a few wears out of a shirt or dress? Just wondering…

posted about 5 years ago
Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

Since I am a wee bit older than most Chictopia members, I try to purchase pieces that I know will last. I know what my lifestyle is and I know what I’ll wear forever because I love it.

I post a lot of great mid-range finds on my blog, Add Bubbles To Taste

I hear you on the laundry issue! Honestly, some fabrics aren’t even supposed to really be laundered (like denim, leather). I like textiles like French terry that feel AMAZING but can be washed at home!

posted about 5 years ago

schizzoid
Style_council
schizzoid

There’s a reason juniors clothing and such is so cheap. They’re not really meant to last. When you’re a teen, fashion is mostly serial fads (like Ugg boots ewwww)

I like Nikki’s take on things. Once you know your style (and have the income to support it) you can buy classic pieces that will last.

At the same time, I don’t believe you have to pay hundreds to get good quality clothing. To me, designer labels don’t mean quality. Isn’t there something to be said about people treating their $600 dresses better than their $25 ones?

posted about 5 years ago

phantasy
Style_council
phantasy

Quality to me is about material and fitting and you can find stuff like that at places like H&M. I am one of those people that doesn’t want my clothing to last too long. Trends and fitting will change, as will we. Even vintage is a trend but great because the clothes are at least a couple decades old and so have come back in style. Taste and maturity will change too. Also, if you have variety, you will often not wear the same things as much. Constant wear and washing is what ruins clothes too.

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 32348 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 32348 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I like to mix quality and quantity. I spend a bit more on shoes, outerwear, and denim…knowing that some will last a lifetime. But I also have cheaper quality items in the same category for trends and stuff. I check all the fabric tags before purchasing an item to make sure I know what I’m getting. Dry cleaning Forever 21 clothing isn’t my idea of quality…but a DVF dress…yes. Some clothes, I know won’t last, but for the price I paid for them, it’s ok.

posted about 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I think (with the exception of stuff that is made of really bad materials and where the stitching etc. is not done properly) that most clothes will last long enough if you take good care of them. I mostly buy cheap clothes (the most expensive of the regular stuff being from Topshop, River Island and other places of a similar price range) and most of it lasts me ages. I have tops that I paid £10 or less for like a couple of years ago or longer and they’re still in good and definetly wearable condition.

posted about 5 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

It depends on what I’m getting and why. I’m okay with paying $8 at Kmart for a trendy little skirt or something, because as I’ve said to my friends, “by the time it wears out, the trend’s over with anyway.” Why invest a bunch of money in something that I wouldn’t wear forever anyway?

But I spend more when I know I will get more use out of something and need it to hold up well, whether it’s a classic pair of shoes I can wear until I’m 70 or a winter coat I will wear multiple times a week all season.

But then again, not all cheaper clothing is absolute crap. Some of it certainly is, but a discerning eye can weed out the worst of it. And as splashofcolor mentioned, it’s more likely to last if properly taken care of. I buy the bulk of my stuff from cheaper stores like F21, Target, Kohls, etc, and I don’t find my wardrobe shredded to pieces on a regular basis because I’m careful about what I buy and how I treat it. As an extreme example, I actually have a pair of ballet flats from Walmart that have seen four years’ worth of wear— and still get compliments!

posted over 4 years ago

GlammcouturE
Style_council
GlammcouturE

I think you can get good stuff for good prices.

posted over 4 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

Hi

It can really depend , remember that most designer clothing is made in countries such as India , or China – its not expensive to make.
I think the best way to get nice clothes within a budget is – online , or in Sales , there will be some good deals

Also there are some amazing designers on Etsy and places – just hunt around , you dont always have to spend alot to get good quality

Although , i would treat some items , such as coats , jackets as an investment so spend a lot on them.

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION