SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
DreamyLittleMagpie
Style_council
DreamyLittle...

Hey guys…
I jusy wanted to share my problem and see if anyone feels the same!
I have a wardrobe full of goodies and clothes that I love but everyday when i wake up for work or uni I just have no idea what to wear!!!
If I’m going for a night out, or a meal or an event I choose an outfit easily..but for some reason for every day wear I just feel I have nothing!
I see so may pictures of girls on this site all looking soooo chic and stylish..wearing skin tight dresses and killer heels but I know If i wore this for work (a record label where everyone lives in jeans and flats) or indeed university I would look like a right tit and everyone would stare at me like i was a circus freak!!! Now I don’t really care what ppl think but I still don’t want to look out of place or innapropriate!
So I just wondered how you choose an outfit for every day use? Do you wear short short skirts and killer heels for general day to day wear? And how can I get out of this slum of wearing my jeans and ballet pumps every day?
I’m sooooo lacking inspiration in the early morning….x

posted about 6 years ago
missdeersign
Style_council
missdeersign

I will say that I am in no way a morning person. So I often plan my outfits several days in advance. That way I can the avoid the ”!!! What am I going to wear??” while I’m rushing to get ready. When I get dressed in a rush I tend to dress too “safe” (flats, jeans) or look like a complete loon.
As far as appropriate day to day wear goes, from my own experience… In many industries (possibly not all) I would not be taken very seriously by my peers (especially those who were older) and clients, if I wore a short-short-skirt.

posted about 6 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

I am the same with missdeersign, only mine are pretty much exactly the night before. Mornings are not a time I am thinking straight so any outfits that result in the wee hours would probably be regretable. I work in an office and I am probably the “dressiest” person there: skirts/dresses and heels or nice ballet flats. Slightly longer hems and maybe flats over heels would make things more appropriate for every day. Tights, cardigans, quirky touches also tend to “tone down” the wildest of pieces.

posted about 6 years ago

fairysoul806
Style_council
fairysoul806

“a record label where everyone lives in jeans and flats” perhaps if you started spicing it up they might motivate themselves out of this RUT.
as far as getting dressed it usually starts the day before. i’ll have something in mind, but wont actually get dressed until the morning. my work outfits are kinda routine, bc it’s an office. but it’s all about accesories for me! they have a way of changing an outfit like nothing else.
lately, i’ve started looking at magazines and keep a board of cute styles clippings i want to try. the whole thing is kinda done for me. Plus, when i buy a new piece, as soon as i get home, i introduce it to all its friends in my closet and play up how i want to mix and match it. WOW, Sounds like a lot of work, but it’s just that i’m a girlie girl.
hope you can figure out how to find some inspiration. <3>

posted about 6 years ago

triplyksis
Style_council
triplyksis

I’ve talked about this in other places before, but basically I dress for me. That’s all. I’m always the most dressed up person at work. When I first started dressing up, I got a lot of comments and looks, but people are used to it now. There is absolutely no dress code in my office, but I’d feel like a fool wearing plunging necklines and shorter hemlines.
I work far more often than getting out to play so pretty much all of my outfits are planned for work.
I agree with fairysoul806, dress to make yourself happy. You may stand out at first, but either people will get used to it or they’ll follow your lead.

posted about 6 years ago

DreamyLittleMagpie
Style_council
DreamyLittle...

Thanks Guys..that does help me alot- think I’m just going to bite the bullet and dress how i want – i mean if i feel comfortable then that is all that matters really!
i’ve started to plan outfits in my head as well…randomly through the day (prob when i should be working) but at least i’m more organised in the morning!!

posted about 6 years ago

HandbagsandGladrags
Style_council
HandbagsandG...

I’m the same as jerseyferrari, i plan my outfits the night before. When i’m bored, i’ll put new looks together to see if they work and then I’ll make a note of what looks good in a little notebook.

It sounds a bit silly, but keeping a notebook of ‘outfits’ that look cool and stylish saves loads of time. And also, declutter your wardrobe. Stick to key items that are versatile and go with plenty of things. I have a grey t-shirt that goes with everything and i wear it under dresses, tucked into high waisted skirts, with jeans etc and it always looks fresh and ‘new’.

posted over 4 years ago

GlammcouturE
Style_council
GlammcouturE

I think so! But like others have said, I try to plan my outfits out ahead of time, before that morning. I def. am not a morning person either. lol

posted over 4 years ago

fenellafox1
Style_council
fenellafox1

If i’m not to busy i normally choose what to wear for work the night before. My style tends to involve loads of work dresses. Wrap dresses are my work wardrobe staple they need very little consideration when i’m short on time.

posted almost 4 years ago

amoebaeinwedges
Style_council
amoebaeinwedges

i usually write down what goes with what in my closet (the possibilities) so i dont have to sit and stare at my closet when i am heading out.

bcristinar
Style_council
bcristinar

I usually get an idea in my head of what I want to wear the next day. But if I feel a certain way when I wake up, there’s room for adjusting the outfit (jewelry, shoes, etc).

Bombonica
Style_council
Bombonica

I always plan my outfits

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

Aha! Something I’ve had to worry about since returning to campus. I find that a lot of my summer fashion does not transfer to the school wardrobe so I tone things down with tights under shorts or short skirts, cardigans over exposed tops, and wear flats or low heels when walking. I try to accessorize but not toooo much.

@hellotampon: LOL at your username for one, I love it. Also, I totally understand! I don’t want to wear sweats/scrubs/dress pants all day. It’s frustrating to find work friendly clothing that isn’t blah.

MizQT
New_user MizQT is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When MizQT reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MizQT

I agree with most of the other fashionistas’ here. Planning an outfit the night before, really takes the handy work out of your morning. Plus it doesn’t hurt to try things on either, sometimes if something is in your wardrobe long enough, you might forget what it fits like and you can actually play with differnt looks deciding on using the best the next day.

I once did this thing were I would not repeat any item in my wardrobe unless I had worn all the other stuff 1st ( of course jeans and pants were exempt) but hey it worked out really well and its a great way to decide if something needs to be purged as well.

posted almost 3 years ago

EsterDuraes
Style_council
EsterDuraes

I head everyday to the university so I plan my outfits the night before so I won’t look completely “blah” if you know what I mean haha
still, I get your point. I don’t feel comfortable wearing something that exposes me too much in my everyday but I do think you can still be stylish in your jeans and flats, add a detail that makes the difference or a fashion accessory to make it work better ;)

stellapnp
Style_council
stellapnp

You can be chic in your jeans and ballet pumps!! Two words: accessorize (hats, scarves, jewlery, purses), and layer!!

estrogens
Style_council
estrogens

I also try to plan outfits the night before. maybe it’s me, but there are some mornings where I don’t want to wear what I had previously chosen. to save me time (and sanity haha), I try to think of outfits I really enjoyed wearing and alter them slightly, like use a different skirt, different colored tights, or different accessories. it’s a good way to experiment and create different outfits with the same pieces.

Radasbro
Style_council
Radasbro

I hardly ever plan my outfits because my mood changes so often and I like to pick outfits depending on my mood so I always feel confident in them. I never wear heels day to day, even when I have castings I’ll make sure I have flats to change into because heels are such a hassle. Build up a wardrobe of things that can transcend into day and night i.e. that go with heels and flats and get some awesome flat boots or moccasins. Some flat shoe that will inspire your styling and accessorising for the day : )

posted over 2 years ago

steffiefg
Style_council
steffiefg

Same problem here! I used to stare for hours to try to pick an outfit or the next day! so researched the web for cute chic and casual everyday outfits and have like hundreds of pictures now to get inspiration from. Mainly from here chictopia, lookbook, random street fashion…
What I do is I pick a photo that is closest to my day (if i’m going to work, I pick a photo with a chic classic outfit ) and I try to match my own wardrobe to it. It’s fun,. I you want I can send a zipped file of some of these pictures need an email address though! Good Luck :D

posted over 2 years ago

Roxx
Style_council
Roxx

If i have to wake up in the morning i usually prepare my clothes the night before. some might need ironing, I’m in no way capable of doing so in the wee hours of the morning, i can barely put foundation and mascara on my face!

But when i have an afternoon meeting or afternoon classes i pick clothes just as i wake up. Sometimes, when i’m really really excited about the thing i’m going to do the next afternoon or when i’m excited about a new clothing piece i put together more ensembles and just pick the one that suits the weather or my mood best the next day.

posted over 2 years ago

Roxx
Style_council
Roxx

@steffiefg – ohh, that sounds really fun! Could you send me the zipped file too? I’ll send you my email :)

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION