Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
camm
Style_council
camm

i just got a new canon powershot. any tips on taking outfit photos by yourself with a point-and-shoot and timer? the camera is pretty nice and has a lot of settings to play with, and i have one of those flexible tripods. keep just doing it against a white background, but should i try other locations? where is the best spot to put the camera? how far away? any tips welcome!

posted almost 4 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

A big thing is to pay attention to lighting. Before you set the timer, always look through the viewfinder (or even take a test shot!) to assure the lighting is fine and won’t wash you out or hide you in shadows.

I think it’s easier to set the camera farther away and then zoom in later on, because you can’t zoom back out once the picture is already taken! You don’t want to cut off body parts— and if you have my problem where you frequently take pictures at an angle (check out my Chicblog to see what I mean!), you can fix it in an editor but not if you don’t give yourself even margin between you and the edge of the picture.

Really the best thing to do is just keep practicing. I’m definitely still learning, but I’ve started to get a feel for which backgrounds are too “busy” and which add to the outfit, and what time of day I can expect good lighting in certain spots. Every time I try to take it in a new location, though, the process of trial-and-error stars over again . . .

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Just take photos in a place that had good lighting! Outside is usually better than inside, but you don’t want to take a photo in direct sunlight or the lighting could be too harsh.
I usually put the camera a few metres away from me, and I don’t usually use zoom.
If you’re having trouble focusing the camera you could place an item where you’d be standing, focus on it and then use the self timer shot. Not sure how well this works though!
Personally I find it easier when someone is taking the photos for you, if it’s possible. it’s a lot quicker and all you have to do is do lots of poses while they click away!

WardrobeStories
Style_council
WardrobeStories

I always zoom in as much as possible and see where the best place is for me to stand. It doesn’t take much time to find the right place and it’s mostly just more then a meter away so walking back and forth isn’t so bad! And more chance it takes you sharp instead of the background!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION