Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
elizabeth_daisy
Style_council
elizabeth_daisy

Well I was just looking at an artice/review whatever you want to call it and it has really offended me! It talks about Taylor Momsen’s (Gossip Girl’s Jenny Humpfrey) style and picks fun at her love for wearing smokey eyes and lots of black. But it was the fact that they picked at who influenced her style that riled me, read the article below. What do you think? I’m 16 and Edie Sedgewick is a style icon of mine, am I stupid for seeing her as fashion inspiration too?! In my eyes it doesn’t matter who your style icon is or what your age is aslong as you’re happy with who you are, what you support AND most of all how you dress!

THE Article!

Teen Vogue worked out with Taylor Momsen while interviewing her about her style. Because those things go together (no, really). She says her favorite designers are Alexander Wang and Marchesa and she “can’t live without” mascara. We could have predicted as much. We were shocked when she showed up at a Bendel event as a raccoon-eyed goth rocker girl back in September, since she’s 15. We’ve since gotten used to her “I dip my eyes in tar” look. However, this part of the interview nearly rattled us out of our skin:

Who are your fashion influences?

A lot of people. Edie Sedgwick had a cool style; she pushed the envelope for the time. My leopard coat, which I had on today, is vintage, but I added the zipper and took out the shoulder pads. That was inspired by her!

Okay, first, 15-year-olds shouldn’t look up to a woman famous for doing heroin, even if it’s just for fashion guidance. Second, what does she know about Edie Sedgwick? She was born yesterday. Just because she feels like she should know about this stuff doesn’t mean she has to. What does she do — pore over Interview magazines from the seventies while listening to the Veronicas and cut out Edie pictures and stick them to her mirror with Bubblicious? Pierce your belly button and call it a day, girlfriend.

nymag.com

Does anyone agree with me?

posted over 5 years ago
harleygrant
Style_council
harleygrant

It’s quite humourous in its style, but it’s pretty harsh.

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

I wonder if the writer of this re read their article and realised that they’re actually just picking on a child for making dodgy fashion choices?

And as for bad role models as fashion icons? I look to Nancy Spungen as a style influence but i’m not tempted to get a druggie boyfriend and die young. Sounds like a pretty poor argument to me.

posted over 5 years ago

elizabeth_daisy
Style_council
elizabeth_daisy

I know right!? Just because you have a style icon that had a drug problem doesn’t mean to say you’re going to start doing coke or heroin!

posted over 5 years ago

ERose08
Style_council
ERose08

Yeah, I agree. This article is pretty offensive. One of the things about the fashion world that I love is that everyone has a different style. And I dont understand how someone’s personal life can come into play at a time like this.

Brittney Spears is still a huge role model for little girls and the entertainment industry doesn’t have a problem. She prolly has been one of the biggest train wrecks that we have seen in a while but she is being congratulated these days because she stopped being an idiot.

A lot of girls idolize Marilyn Monroe, but she was a adulteress and didn’t she die of a drug overdose?

To me, it sounds like this writer got free reign to write what they want so they started to rant because they’ve got some kind of beef. Pretty petty if you ask me.

posted over 5 years ago

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

Umm, what the hell is wrong with nylong mag?
This is sooooooooooo mean and they sound so snobby…

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

I think taylor momsen looks like crap, but at least i know that ripping a fifteen year old girl to shreds for wearing silly amounts of eyeliner is about as productive as getting annoyed at my mum for being really embarassing in front of my friends: it’s dumb to get irked over, and it always has and always will happen.

PS my mum’s actually awesome. It was just an example of a common thing for someone to do… parents embarass, teens wear crazy things. C’est la vie!

Oh and the “you’re too young to know who _ is?” = DUMB and elitist. It’s the fashion equivalent of those punker-than-thou types who come up to you and ask “so you’re wearing a ____ shirt? Name 5000 of their songs and sing them all to me to PROVE IT!” ugh, i hate it.

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Seriously, that’s ridiculous. She can look up to whoever she wants for style advice – if you like it, you like it. It’s good she’s not like every other fifteen I know, wearing Uggs and lusting over Ed Hardy stuff because it’s trendy. So they’d rather yet another person conform vs. being herself? I really can’t stand people who think they can rip apart someone because they’re older. The end.

posted over 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Public figures should expect to be discussed publicly, for better or worse.

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

^^ oh no, i totally agree. i just think that the person who wrote that put forward some lame-ass arguments.

posted over 5 years ago

elizabeth_daisy
Style_council
elizabeth_daisy

I’m so pleased that you’ve all expressed your opinions and views, it riled me and I wanted to share this with you all :)

posted over 5 years ago

queenelizabeth
Style_icon
queenelizabeth

“Second, what does she know about Edie Sedgwick? She was born yesterday.”

OK, that made me really mad. I’m 16 too, and I think it’s ridiculous how they’re basically saying that teenagers/kids are ignorant and don’t know anything. I get that it’s supposed to be a funny article, but it’s just silly and untrue. And does anyone else remember that article from a while ago discussing whether Tavi of Style Rookie was actually 12? the main point was that since she’s 12 years old, she can’t possibly know about fashion or culture or put together intelligent writing. That really made me angry, and this article reminded me of it.

Sorry to rant on like that, I just think it’s ridiculous how they’ve insulted people based on their age.

posted over 5 years ago

murph
Style_council
murph

Whoever wrote that article is taking out their anger about getting older on that 15 year old girl. She’s probably mad that when she was 15 her idols were seattle grunge heroine addicts, who offered no fashion guidance. Accept for the occasional flannel washing.
This teen is on the right track fashion wise. And who doesn’t go through a raccoon phase? I know I did!

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

queenelizabeth, THANK YOU! i absolutely despise this elitist attitude that seems to seep into everything. How people seem to look down on young people with scorn, based on the assumption that wisdom may only come with age…

posted over 5 years ago

Australia
Style_council
Australia

this article was pretty funny! I do agree with the first half. that whole “I dip my eyes in tar” look is too much. she tries way too hard.

the second half is really annoying. it does insult her intelligence and that of pretty much anyone under the age of 30. also, there’s nothing wrong with admiring someone for their style or career, i admire kurt cobain, but i’m not going to copy his lifestyle! it’s better than her admiring most of the celebrities we have today!

posted over 5 years ago

emilyy
Style_council
emilyy

Not that I like Taylor Momsen (at all), but…

“Second, what does she know about Edie Sedgwick? She was born yesterday. Just because she feels like she should know about this stuff doesn’t mean she has to.”

This is simply just ignorantly making an inaccurate generalization. Are you kidding? I’m 15 and I don’t feel like I should have to know about this stuff, I just want to. Is my age really going to provoke heartless individuals to suggest that I’m trying to be something that I’m not? Possibly even something better and greater?

posted over 5 years ago

strvngrtst929
Style_council
strvngrtst929

Geez…that is pretty suckish of them…

posted over 5 years ago

clairelynette
Style_council
clairelynette

That article’s intent was most likely to be humorous but it failed miserably.

To geekbonchic: I agree with you on the fact that public figures should expect to be talked about but I have always found disdain for criticisms from the press that are not nearly close to constructive. Plus she’s fifteen and I think it’s entirely irresponsible. So it’s okay to make fun of her for knowing who Edie Sedgwick is [at her age] but then to tell her to act like a child? If they want her to act like a child perhaps they should treat her as one and not an adult in their remarks of their interview. There was nothing said about the girl’s personality at all.

As for the comment: “Second, what does she know about Edie Sedgwick? She was born yesterday. Just because she feels like she should know about this stuff doesn’t mean she has to.” It shows completely how ignorant the writer is. And maybe yes that’s exactly what the girl did was read online magazines from the seventies. In this day and age you can find all kinds of things especially inspiration for your personal style on the web. Hell, by the time I was thirteen (will be 23 in a few weeks) I knew everything about most American films made before the 1950s, I loved dearly the sounds of the Temptations, Muddy Waters, and Jackie Wilson. Plus I adored Antebellum and Empire period clothing. Part of that was how I was raised and part of that was the natural progression of my personal interests. That article was misguided but unfortunately that has become the norm and most people today would probably think no harm in it. (Just because you like someone’s style doesn’t mean you’ll follow after them with developing a heroin habit.) I for one am not one of those people.

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

^^ that might be the biggest failing of the article. It’s hard to tread the line between satire and venom, and they clearly failed at it.

posted over 5 years ago

artschooldropout
Style_council
artschooldro...

Age has nothing to do with ones love of fashion. Weather they like the trends now or are intrigued with the trends from another generation. They should be encouraging young people to explore their creativity, not bash them for who inspires their creativity. Frankly, if i was Taylor I would be pissed after reading this non sense article!

posted over 3 years ago

anonymours
Style_council
anonymours

seems pretty harsh. who made them the authority?

posted over 3 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

The only thing you need to know about style? Everyone has different opinions. No matter what anyone is wearing, “in fashion”, or “trendy”, there’s going to be lovers and theres going to be haters. But no matter what anyone thinks about what you’re wearing, if you dig it, you’re going to ooze confidence. And confidence looks good on everyone; nobody can deny that. You and Taylor go work those coon eyes! (And for the record, I happen to LOVE the whole dark-romantic-sultry-goth thing.)

posted about 3 years ago

miki_girl
Style_council
miki_girl

That’s absolutely ostracizing!

I mean, seriously, being a teenager is all about trying to find your identity and trying out new things to try and discover what you like and don’t like. Taylor’s doing just that and broadening her horizon just as the rest of us teenagers are-we have the right to do so.

Harsh, demeaning, critical. That’s what they are for having a go at an innocent celebrity.

posted about 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION