Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Jayner
Style_council
Jayner

Hey guys! So obviously people take inspiration from what they see around them, including other people’s work, but at what point does taking inspiration become copying? Would love to get your oppinions on this one!

posted over 5 years ago
YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

I think it depends a lot by how you “use” what inspired you; i mean, there’s always another way to use an inspiration, make it more yours, linked more to your style! It could happen to almost copy a whole look, but i think it’s part of the game, like in others things (music, art etc). I found lot of inspiration here on Chictopia or in some fashion blogs, but i always tried to be as original as possible, trying to think also about the style i want to achieve for myself :)

Nice topic btw! :)

posted over 5 years ago

RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

If you say something was inspired then I thinks it’s okay but saying you started something but people can you didn’t than that’s more copying. Lastly many can steal photos and say it’s there own.

posted over 5 years ago

taralily
Style_council
taralily

I agree that inspiration would be trying something out but mixing it in with your own style. Copying would be matching identical to someone and calling it your own or giving credit to yourself.

posted over 5 years ago

valencialia
Style_council
valencialia

Inspiration is something you take in and develop that style further and give it your own twist. Don’t count as copying as less its identical .

posted over 5 years ago

dorotheasclosetvtg
Style_council
dorotheasclo...

Agreed. Last year an assistant to a major designer bought a vintage beaded bag from me, I assumed for inspiration (color, style, shape, whatever). It was reproduced bead for bead and used in her Fall collection last year….no alteration at all. She did have another made in another colorway. I never pursued it to see if she only used them on the runway or if she sold them as her design…..I was just so disappointed to see no effort made to tweak it into something a little different. To me its disrespecting another artist to take their work and not give them credit (not that there was anyone to give credit to as it was an unsigned piece 100 years old, but still….to use it with no change, to me, is still wrong). I see it happen all the time in the fashion industry….buying a vintage piece that is unsigned (or sometimes even labeled!) and copying it line for line. To me thats just being lazy and insulting your fans/customers by letting them believe its your own design.

Ang

posted over 5 years ago

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

dorotheascloset, wow, I agree that’s over the line. and sad, too.

Jayner, I’m not entirely clear about the context of your question. :) Do you mean as fashion designers? as individuals doing DIY based on designs they’ve seen? as individuals putting together outfits or developing a personal style?

as a general concept, I think everyone here has expressed the difference very well. :)

I feel that incorporating an element or idea into your own work is quite different than simply replicating that part or the whole. But there’s also the tricky grey area where many people can be subconsciously tuning into the same vibe, movement, event, inspiration, what-have-you. Resulting in many similar looks from totally different designers, in a completely innocent coincidence. I call it collective filter feeding. ;)

I mean there have been MANY times when I’ve sketched or made something and then later stumbled on a previously unknown shop with a very similar design, or even the same exact concept. This has happened at least 4 times in the past month.

It always makes me go “doh!” because I worry that if I produce it (even just for myself) I’ll look like a tool copycat. But then I just accept that we’re on the same creative wavelength. And that can be a good thing. :) I like seeing people put out work that is similar to my own inclinations because it means that styles I most like are being spread out among more channels, like seeding. It also means those with better skills are challenging me to push my own ideas further or improve my production.

posted over 5 years ago

New_user 35263 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 35263 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

everyone has made good points. i think we can all agree that you should add your own personality rather than copying something exactly. i’d also have to add that if you like a look and you’re inspired by it, to me it means that you like the energy or the feeling behind the look, just like from art. if you see a pair of shoes that you really like and you go out and buy some just like them or the exact same pair, that’s understandable, but if you take a picture and try to copy it to a tee, i think you’re missing the point and you’re not really getting the look in the first place. it should be more of an expression as a whole, if that makes sense.

posted over 5 years ago

silentscary
Style_council
silentscary

its copying when you don’t make it your own, and when you are doing it simply because everyone else is, and deep down it actually has very little appeal to you individually.

it’s inspiration when you’re actually INSPIRED.

posted over 5 years ago

Pardeese
Style_council
Pardeese

Although imitation is said to be the best form of flattery, there are limits. I feel that a lot of stores seem to rip off designs from expensive brands(although a few seasons later). I find this great for the people who can’t afford to buy the elite designs when they are fresh out of the oven, but can be frustrating for designers who want to maintain their designs originality. None the less, places like Forever21 have an incredible legal team that tries to protect themselves from as many lawsuits as possible from designers by using cheaper fabrics, or using color schemes that do not correlate to their most expensive competitors.

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION