Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

Can you spot the trends in the midst of all the fads? I usually don’t like to buy clothing that will only be in fashion for short periods of time (aka fads) because I feel like I’m wasting money on clothes I will never wear again. I try to go for the trends that stick around longer so I get my money’s worth from the stuff I bought. Problem is, its difficult to discern which new things are fads and which ones are trends…

What do you guys think are the new trends and new fads? I think animal prints and excessive sequins might be short-lived fads while florals will last longer.

posted about 4 years ago
laurasdenim
Style_council
laurasdenim

I’ve never actually thought of fads/trends as different things before. I always thought of them as the same thing—popular things that people like because they’re popular.

As for me, I just buy whatever I like and what I think looks alright on me. In fact, when it goes out of “trend”/“fad”/popularity, I’m actually happy because then it means there’s less people wearing the same thing (haha).

posted about 4 years ago

djmode
Style_council
djmode

totally agree with laurasdenim. I rarely like an item which is trendy at the time. If I do like something in fashion, I just wear it whatever way I like it.

posted about 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i always keep my clothes because these trends recycle. you can always make something new from old pieces. i don’t necessarily always get things that are “this season, this year” .. if people don’t like it they can shut it. my body, my clothes.

posted about 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I try and only buy ‘trends’ if they actually suit me/my body/ my style! As there’s no point in buying something if it doesn’t look good on you even if it is in fashion. So then I don’t really care if it goes out of fashion or not, I will keep wearing it!!
I think animal prints will always be in fashion, I’ve loved it for years and years! But yeah, I guess florals will last longer because they are easier to style, animal prints take a lot more confidence to wear- not for the faint of heart as there’s always a chance you can end up looking trashy! :D

posted about 4 years ago

nay_myquel
Style_council
nay_myquel

trends =)

posted about 4 years ago

UnForGettable323
Style_council
UnForGettabl...

I worry about what will end up being a trend versus a fad (usually I end up with several items in my closet that I wear once and never again) but if someone likes what they’re buying then they should be able to wear it in different ways.

A new fad in my area are the “silly bands.” If you don’t know what silly bands are, they’re the cute little rubberband-like bracelets that form different shapes (animals, letters, etc.) when taken off the wrist… Although I’m guilty of stealing a few from my little sister :)

posted about 4 years ago

nancyleigh
Style_council
nancyleigh

I don’t think about what’s trendy or faddy when I buy stuff; it’s not important to me.

posted about 4 years ago

fille
Style_council
fille

I think fads tend to be clothes that are everywhere and then after a while, they’re no where (I remember years ago there was a time when peasant tops were the only kind of tops some stores carried).

I see what you’re saying about animal print existing for a shorter time than florals, but I think animal print is always somewhat around, just not as big as it is right now in the forms of tops, scarves, shoes, etc. Sequins might be a fad since some people think it’s tacky. I honestly don’t know when florals will be out, but I always wonder about that.

I think a fad from this season is clogs. A lot of people thought they were tacky but now they’re everywhere. However, studs have been around for a while now and most people seem to really like it.

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION