Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

It always makes me giggle a little inside when I hear people saying such things are investments. A house is an investment, stocks are investments, fashion stuff isn’t for the most part. From the moment you buy it, the value drops dramatically and while you can sue thigns like bags and shoes and shoes for awhile, most people who are fashion conscious don’t use the same bag all the time for 10 years. I think of these things as more like rewards for myself because callingt hem investments seems to be just a lie you tell yourself so you dont feel bad about buying something

posted almost 4 years ago
1 2
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

hm opportunity costs is definitely a way to look at it. I guess in that respect, everything is an investment. And I do kind of agree that basic pieces are somewhat of an investment

bjkdAnc3r
New_user bjkdAnc3r is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When bjkdAnc3r reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
bjkdAnc3r

OH YES.

JessyDust
Style_council
JessyDust

They’re obviously not comparable to houses and stocks.

I think of bags and shoes as investments. And I most definitely be carrying my thousand dollar bag for years to come.

You said: “most people who are fashion conscious don’t use the same bag all the time for 10 years”

You can’t speak for everyone! A lot of designer bags don’t devalue…in fact, the prices go up!! : )

alinaceusan
Style_icon
alinaceusan

yes

posted over 3 years ago

AnindhitaRustiyan
Style_council
AnindhitaRus...

No. Because I know that each style are come and go and come again! And although some people like to buy second stuff. I am personaly, imagine that it won’t be a good choice to spend money.

posted over 3 years ago

NemoRockstar
New_user NemoRockstar is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When NemoRockstar reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
NemoRockstar

Yesssssss!!

posted over 3 years ago

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

yes :)

posted over 3 years ago

Roshi
Style_council
Roshi

Something like a classic chanel bag would definitely be an investment to me. Although I can never save up enough to actually invest in something like that. hehe

posted over 3 years ago

TheAndreaF
Style_council
TheAndreaF

Absolutely!

posted over 3 years ago

kiki_sandoval
Style_council
kiki_sandoval

all the times i want to design shoes

posted over 3 years ago

ukiuki88
Style_council
ukiuki88

i definitely feel that shoes and bags are good pieces to spend more on because they can really enhance or detract from an outfit. the camera and pictures can hide a lot of flaws but good quality will always show true in real life.

posted over 3 years ago

midwestmayhem
Style_council
midwestmayhem

If you have the money to purchase a few good quality items that will last you years, maybe even decades, I would consider it an investment. A good quality jacket or pair of shoes will probably be around longer than most people keep their cars.

posted over 3 years ago

Petrakieva
Style_council
Petrakieva

Yes! When I buy an expensive pair of shoes I can wear them like a year or even two. But if I buy a cheap pair they only last like a month or so…

posted over 3 years ago

ReineRobot
New_user ReineRobot is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When ReineRobot reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
ReineRobot

Absolutely. No point purchasing cheap good if you are just going to have to replace them in a year. Don’t skimp on the basics!

posted over 3 years ago

Dollface00
New_user Dollface00 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When Dollface00 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Dollface00

Clothes I would say no to. My weight is constantly going up and down, so I wouldnt spend to much on items like Jeans.

Bags and shoes… a definite YES!

posted over 3 years ago

CandyBar
New_user CandyBar is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When CandyBar reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
CandyBar

oh course !!

posted over 3 years ago

amorphous_face
Style_council
amorphous_face

heck no clothes are no an investment but I guess people will rationalize anything. I guess clothes for an interview can be an investment in your future career or something like that.

posted about 1 year ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I agree with amorphus_face. Clothes and accessories are not an investment since they rarely appreciate in value once they leave the store. And you never get a job solely based on what you’re wearing, so I don’t think they even count as investments towards your future. Doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy fashion, though :)

posted about 1 year ago

Blessedwithmusic
Style_council
Blessedwithm...

Hmm, I can’t remember ever thinking of a clothing purchase as an “investment” at the time of purchase. I would say that well-made, great quality, timeless styles are investments. For example, a professional suit/outfit that you will be able to wear throughout your career, or a stunning classic dress that will enable you to look great at many parties/fancy events to come. Of course, maybe the whole idea of clothing being an “investment” only makes sense to people who don’t mind keeping an article for a lifetime, perhaps the people who follow trends a little less often.

posted about 1 year ago

Metric
Style_council
Metric

That is definitely the truth.

posted about 1 year ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION