Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

A couple of days ago, one of the chictopians in the top running to become a style icon for this month sent me a private message asking me to add her as one of my faves. Has anyone received a message like this recently, or was it just a one off message to me?? :S

I know there was a lot of discussion about this a little while ago (eg, when Haylilly wrote a good blog containing her opinion on this) but just thought I could start a thread on it since some people like new members may not have heard about it!!

Whenever I get a message like this I don’t add that person as my fave even if I do like their style because if I do like someone’s style enough to add them as a fave, i will do it out of my own free will, not because they asked me to. Anyway I know the particular chictopian is pretty new to the site…. but I still wonder if people who send out personal messages asking to be added as a fave, then get the votes and subsequently become style icons because of it should still be awarded thus?? Because if they have to ask, people may vote for them out of politeness, not because of their style (which is what they should be looking at- style i mean). I didn’t flag this chictopian or anything…

I’m just bringing this subject up because ‘style icon’ is a very prestigious title and I don’t think it should be run like a campaign!! What do the admins think of this and what are they doing about it? Would and should a member still become a style icon if they have sent out mass messages asking people to vote? I think there is already one member who became a style icon just because they sent out mass messages. Maybe there should be a stronger rule against sending this kind of stuff? (or is there one already and I missed hearing about it :P )

Anyway what do you think/ what should be done?

posted over 5 years ago
shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Hmm honestly I have never gotten a message like this before from someone asking me to fave them, but that might be because I’ve only been here a few months… I agree with you, ‘style icon’ should be a choice made by people out of their free wills. I think this kind of message sort of qualifies as spam. It kind of reminds me of people in real life who try to speak to as many people as others to increase their popularity, to be honest :/

posted over 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I have had a couple of messages of that sort before, and I’m the same, if I like someone’s style enough I will favourite them of my own free will, otherwise I won’t whether they ask me or not.
The other thing that annoys me is people who get favourited though their blogs are only advertising their online store, though I noticed one of those blogs was in the top 3 for last months style icon like only a day or 2 before the new icons were announced and they weren’t one of the style icons, so unless a bunch of people got more fans in the last day or 2 maybe this kind of thing is being looked at more seriously now.

Personally I think if you have to ask people to add you, then you’re not a true style icon. Only those that get the fans genuinely because of their fashion sense and/or interesting blogging really deserve it.

posted over 5 years ago

ItsPaolaXoXo
Style_council
ItsPaolaXoXo

oh really?

im still kind of new here and i thought that it was normal!!!

well, next time i know. thanks for posting this!!!!

posted over 5 years ago

aranell
Style_icon
aranell

Yup, I know who you mean and I’ve had the message too. I’m pretty sure the admins are aware though, so hopefully it’s being dealt with.
I’ve also noticed a lot of empty commenting by the same person, i.e. just leaving meaningless comments on other peoples photos to try and get a fav add. It makes me sad :( People put effort into their posts and deserve real responses!

I only add someone because I love their style, and would only want someone to add me for the same reason. I get such a buzz when someone adds me, and can’t understand what anyone would get out of it if they knew they’d just done it by begging!

The true style icons here like cocorosa and haylilly and many others never ever ask. Classy girls :)

posted over 5 years ago

aranell
Style_icon
aranell

( PS hope nobody thinks its me! )

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

hehe, nobody thinks it’s you aranell!

anyway, i got the same message and flagged that particular user. i read in another thread that they don’t award the style icon to users who use this technique, so i wouldn’t worry about it!

posted over 5 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Thanks for replying guys :)

Anyway… i don’t have a problem if i never become a style icon, and i’m pretty sure that most of the people on here are okay with never becoming a style icon either. Because on this site ‘style icon’ is the highest praise you can be awarded with and those who are lucky enough to get it should receive it because they have style that people genuinely love and can be inspired by, not just because they sent a lot of messages to people asking to be added as a fave.

I could send messages to everyone who comments on my photos and everyone on my friend list asking them to support me and add me as a fave. And maybe they might add me and I would become an icon. But would that be an honest way of getting it? I wouldn’t feel like I deserved it. I want people to add me because they want to, not because I asked them to add me as a favour or something.

Everyone on here could send multiple spam messages asking for this, and get dozens of fans… but they don’t. To me, the people who send these messages are the ones turning this into a competition, trying to become style icons instead of enjoying the site and being happy if someone adds them as a fave.
I also don’t think this is fair to honest members like haylilly and inkarlcerating, who always post awesome outfits, but still have to contend with those those who do send the msgs. I believe members like these will deservedly become style icons eventually, and they will do it because they post with integrity :)

posted over 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

“if a girl wants you to add her as a fav, support her, why not?”

Why would you support someone to get a title and prize that they don’t rightfully deserve? I have one fan and probably will never get the style icon prize, but that doesn’t bother me because I like how I dress and I like to show it the world. It isn’t the end of the world if I never get that style icon title, and it’s the same for others. A lot of us are here for the fun of it, not to cheat our way to a fancy title and prizes.

posted over 5 years ago

GoXtina
Style_council
GoXtina

I agree with you guys. I got comments by girls who want to add me as their favourite. Honestly, I felt offended.

posted over 5 years ago

twinkl
Shop_seller_2 twinkl is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
twinkl

Here’s another topic that deals with spammers and illicit ways to get fans

But I say flag everyone that spreads those mass messages. Cheri’s expressed taking a strong stance against spam of any kind. She made a blog post about it here

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Agreed.

posted over 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Wear more black, post with little consideration for what people will think, be honest on your blog, and be a boy.

Or, at least that’s how I avoid awkward situations like this.

posted over 5 years ago

whatswithamy
Style_icon
whatswithamy

I don’t like getting a message asking me that. I think it’s fine when it’s in their own posts with their own outfits on their own chicblog. Otherwise, I find it desperate and it’s going against what chictopia is all about. Plus, it’s totally unfair for other stylish girls who have style and don’t need to campaign to be rewarded. Now I feel fussy!

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION