Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
kelseykelsey
Style_council
kelseykelsey

I’ve been wanting/trying to put photos up on chictopia for quite a while now, but I’m having some problems.
so I’ll get all ready, have all my clothes on, and when i look in the mirror, I like the way everything looks and I’m really happy. But then, when I take some pictures, they all look awful! I look fat and the clothing is unflattering and ugly. I take photo after photo until I’m too tired and frustrated and discouraged to continue, and i give up. today was about the fifth time this has happened, each time a different outfit. I don’t understand why this happens!
the other problems I’m having are with location and posing. I can’t find anywhere suitable to take my photos, nowhere in my house really works, and we don’t really have our own private back yard, either. As for posing, I just can’t figure out what to do with my arms and my face, haha.

sorry for writing so much. any help would be appreciated, thanks so much in advance! :)))

posted about 5 years ago
Izacouto
Style_council
Izacouto

it always happens to me :(

posted about 5 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

I always feel like lighting screws up my pictures. Sometimes you have to wait until the perfect time of day so that it’s not too bright to make you look fat, or too dark to take bad photos. Also, just try and look natural. You can smile, but you don’t have to. If you feel like smiling, it’ll probably come out nice, but if you don’t feel like it, it’ll probably come out looking a bit fake. Just don’t do anything too awkward as far as posing. My biggest problem is comparing myself to models and getting frustrated, but i’m just a normal girl with cute outfits. remember that and maybe it won’t stress you out so much? :-)

posted about 5 years ago

headintheclouds
Style_council
headintheclouds

I concur! Another issue is the fact that I live alone and none of the surfaces in my apartment are conveniently (flatteringly) located to put a timed camera on…

posted about 5 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i take pics outside and place my camera on a dangerously unbalanced wall. it’s annoying when the wind blows and my self timer shakes and makes the photos blurry :(

try taking pictures around early afternoon and find some blank wall outside

posted about 5 years ago

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

natural light is always preferred. dont face against the light

you may find something here at Sparkle Shop for good shots and models for inspiration. Hope it helps!

posted about 5 years ago

audreyj
Style_council
audreyj

First of all, be CONFIDENCE every girl is pretty and every chictopian is stylish dear! I felt the same with the first photos i took for chictopia (you can check it on my chicblog) but after i just stood up infront of the camera and i was natural. Just be you, smile if you want, make silly poses, i’ve seen some girls looking to the floor, that’s nice too. And yeah, natural light at the sunset or sunrise is the best!

posted about 5 years ago

frou
Style_council
frou

Hay.

Angles tend to be very important when taking pictures. Unflattering angles as far as I’m concerned consist of low angles i.e below eyelevel/ shooting upwards, Thus wont look as good as what you see in the mirror.. You also need to remember that mirror images are flipped around, so what you are seeing is actually the opposite.

As for location, uh I’d suggest anywhere that isn’t cluttery. You really just need a plain wall. As for posing, be your self, be confident, remember your stance, your body language can also affect how/ what the mood of your outfit will be and what it will end up looking like.

If possible have someone take pictures of you, cause personally I find its much easier to have a friend/ sibling take pictures than have your camera on timer. I think its much more efficient and effective and much more fun.

But if the above is not possible, id invests in a tripod and remote and any plain background will do. Makes a huge difference.

Hope that helped. byeee.

posted about 5 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

Always think about:

A. What lighting will look good for you? People have different undertones, red or blue, hot or cool. What you want to do is neutralize that using the opposite. Since I have very pink undertones, red, I always look for cool lighting, blue. SOOOO, cloudy overcast days, or cool-colored rooms always turn out a good picture for me, lighting-wise because it sort of clears over my complexion in the photo, gets rid of cellulite and makes me look all-around better.

B. Get a full length mirror and mess around for a while. some of the poses I have in my photos, i spent hours working out. A lot of them were extremely uncomfortable to hold, but they showed off good parts of my body or outfit.

C. If youre uncomfortable taking pictures, don’t go with too many crazy hair styles for now. If you keep it consistent with a style you know makes you look and feel extra pretty, you’ll have one less thing to worry about.

D. Think of the little things while posing, the turn of a hand, the raise of an eyebrow, any of that can make a difference.

E. Try and take your pictures consistently in the same spot/background/theme. Make it fit with you, and your style, let it compliment the outfit. Not to say you can’t switch it up every once in a while, of course!

F. Standing with your toes pointing inward makes your legs look leaner. Its not exactly a power pose, in fact, it makes you look girlish and cute. But it makes your legs nicer. :D

G. If you have a good smile, use it! :D But you can also try those serious vogue looks to lol

H. HAVE FUN WITH IT! . You may not think you look great, but honestly, you probably look a lot better than you think. Don’t beat yourself up, you’re beautiful.

posted about 5 years ago

kelseykelsey
Style_council
kelseykelsey

thanks a TON everybody! I’m really grateful! sorry I haven’t been responding, I’ve been out working with a friend, sans computer.
A lot of you suggested similar things, and I’ll be glad to try them out as soon as possible! :)))

posted about 5 years ago

Krissys_Closet
Style_council
Krissys_Closet

Headintheclouds: What I do when I don’t have someone to take pictures for me is pile up a bunch of big hardcover books (Like the Twilight Series, Harry Potter Series, Dictionary & Thesaurus) on a coffee table or floor or whatever else I find. Then I set up my camera on top of the book tower and set the timer. Hope that helps. :)

posted about 5 years ago

gibbaela
Style_council
gibbaela

Try practicing good poses in the mirror before you shoot. You could also find a friend and a good location and do a photo shoot. That way you can take multiple pictures and choose the best ones =D

posted about 5 years ago

togandtrappings
Style_council
togandtrappings

as far as posing, which is the hardest for me, always keep good posture and relax your arms. if you find it difficult to smile, laugh, or have your photographer make your laugh.

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION