Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
whatswithamy
Style_icon
whatswithamy

Since Chictopia is such an inspiring community of fashion lovers. I have always been so curious to how your love for fashion started? Whats the story behind the way you dress? Why do you dress the way that you do? How did you find Chictopia?

Would love to hear your answers!

XOXO

posted about 5 years ago
moniescloset
Style_council
moniescloset

Fashion doesn’t really run in my family. Both my mother and sister have a very reserved sense of fashion. They did instill modesty in me, which is both good and bad. Sometimes fashion requires a bit of skin, but I always feel a bit guilty about it.

I think with me, it’s my only real avenue to be creative. My career doesn’t really lend itself to artistic expression. I also believe that there are people who want to excel in all aspects. For me, taking care of my appearance is just as important as taking care of my mind.

I noticed a lot of people talking about chictopia on forums etc….I can’t believe it has been around this long and I’m only just finding you guys!

<3

posted about 5 years ago

YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

I’d say my fashion history is pretty recent&brief!
When i was a teenager LOL i used to be more punkish/alternative…not much elegant lol Even if now that seems so far, and i feel it so far from me, i think it’s been part of the process, and i was searching for a personal style back then, that what’s i liked most. But i didn’t care a lot about fashion, and back now i still feel that i don’t know a lot, so i just enjoy and pursuit for a personal style :)

posted about 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Well, when I was a kid and up until my mid-teens, I was always very fascinated by “rock”-styled clothing. I dressed in baggy stuff with lots of black and hoodies and Converse up until a couple of years ago, when I discovered fashion blogs and Susie Bubble! Her blog was the one that made me realise that fashion shouldn’t be just about fitting in, it’s about experimenting and making yourself happy!

posted about 5 years ago

jazzyhwang
Style_council
jazzyhwang

i think it stemmed from my embarrassment as a kid when my mom dressed me up…i definitely didn’t want to repeat that. so through out high school, i just copied my friends and donned head to toe hollister and american eagle—that typical southern california beach/preppy look. i look back at it now and laugh at how stupid we all were…but my love for fashion didn’t really start until well..recently now that i’m in college and have finally formed my own personal taste! :] it’s constantly changing though, which is one thing i love about fashion :)

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 37007 is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When 37007 reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!

i’m a physician. when i was still in medical school, we all had to wear white uniforms everyday. for 5 years! i decided after graduating that i’m gonna dress up everyday just for the heck of it to make up for those 5 years

posted about 5 years ago

GoXtina
Style_council
GoXtina

My aunt has been dressing me up since I was a baby and I guess I got the love for clothes from her. Once my aunt moved out of the house, my dressing skills have been horrible. I follow the way my mom dress and honestly, her taste is nothing compare to my aunt. I used to dress in baggy shirts and baggy jeans, people would often criticized me including my mom.

Once I enter College, a friend encouraged me to dress nice because she loves how clothes look on my body type. That’s where it starts and I never turn back. I’ve been sporting things that I wouldn’t normally wear and I feel great.

These days, I’ve been looking for inspiration and Chictopia certainly helps me a lot. When I go shopping these days, I know what to look for and I know how to mix and match things easily. I try to break out of my comfort zone and sport something new into my outfit once in awhile.Traveling helps me on finding my personal style and I love to wear things that people won’t find here in Montreal.

I realized lately that people tend to stick to a certain style and they are often afraid of getting out of their comfort zone. I try to break out of my comfort zone so that my style improve constantly. So far so good.

posted about 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Was always more conservative about how I dressed as a kid, mostly because I was more concerned with school than art or anything, even though I loved art stuff.

Art, aesthetics, and design opportunities grew in college, and as I started working out how to create cohesive images outside of myself, I started thinking about how I could start applying that to my own self.

Pretty much just started reading everything, watching anything, scouring the Internet and devouring all the art/fashion/photographer/design/typography I could and along the way, apparently wound up stepping out of a melting film copy of a German Expressionist movie?

posted about 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I feel like I’ve always loved clothing and had my own style even if I haven’t been so fashionable. Scratch that, I went through periods when I would try to “achieve” a certain look, but I got sick of it and I’m in the process of doing my own thing. I’m trying to move out of my comfort zone more often, but still remain comfortable.

I’d say a few family members of mine have influenced my love of clothing… trips to fabric stores when I was five, flipping through pattern books, and playing dress up in vintage dresses courtesy of my aunt.

But it’s crazy how much I feel this website has helped improve my personal style. I don’t feel like I’m trying to work towards anything other than style that shows off who I am in clothing form. I really forget where I heard of this website, but I believe it was a magazine, either Teen Vogue or Nylon.

posted about 5 years ago

chichelee
Style_council
chichelee

My fashion story began just a measly year ago! I never had much of a style voice until my freshman year of college in Tallahassee. There is such an underground fashion and music scene here that plays off each other and has evolved me from a “hippie” “natural” look to a vintage, thrifting, funky spunky fashion lover! I love taking risks and putting the most insane/ unique things together. It’s not a day in my life unless someone’s staring me down

posted about 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I’ve always loved fashion. Since I was a little girl I’ve always loved messing about with hairstyles and getting new clothes. It helped that my parents didn’t set any boundaries on me as far as style was concerned. I was allowed to experiment from a fairly young age with clothes and make-up (though it got some disapproving looks from adults because I was probably the only kid I knew who was allowed to wear mini skirts and heels and wedges at the age of 10- of course things are different now but it was still the 90s then). I always had a unique and dressed-up style compared to everyone in secondary school because back then I rarely followed the trends amongst my friends and people at school. While they’d all be wearing jeans and the same FCUK hoodies I liked to wear girlie skirts, boobtubes, halter tops and stuff like that. It was the big topic of conversation on non uniform days lol. I don’t think my style has changed that much since I was a kid/young teen. I rarely wear boobtubes and halters anymore but apart from that not much has changed apart from how I style what I wear. I really miss having some of the clothes that I had when I was younger because they’ve come back into style now, like I had a big collection of crop tops and wedges, and even leopard print trousers (they were pretty cool until I wore the black hoodie with leopard print hearts on it that was made to go with them- probably the biggest fashion faux pas I’ve ever made). I even had an adorable sailor dress when I was like 2 years old that I wish I could get an adult version of because it would really fit in with the nautical trend.

Wow I’ve rambled on there. I was having a nice time reminiscing.

posted about 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Haha I regret the years that I could’ve spent building up a more classic, pretty wardrobe that I instead spent on blue hoodies and blue jeans and blue tops. All with diamantes on them. Yeah, I used to like blue quite a bit.

posted about 5 years ago

mauhlaslover
Style_council
mauhlaslover

My story… Honestly it just started this year. =)

I remembered just last year I was into graphic tees and skinny jeans nothing else. I always thought dressy clothes were too much, like I could never wear them. BUT then I came to realize, its all the insecurities that I try to hide so much that I don’t want to try anything. =/

So after a while, I began going online and just looking at clothes just for fun, my sister does it like all the time and so I was bored and said what the heck, why not? So I did, and I found myself wanting to look pretty.. Like a girl.

One day we went to the mall and I tried on some dresses that I never thought I would wear and there I was in the fitting room looking at my reflection.. It was weird as far as I could remember I was the same size if not, bigger. But I was happy because I felt beautiful in this dress and not only that but I was satisfied with the body I had. I have one word for it..

C O N F I D E N C E.

I believe fashion is a big part of building your confidence. Like they say “If you feel good, you look good.” =) Fashion is also a statement about who you are.

posted about 5 years ago

whatswithamy
Style_icon
whatswithamy

I love that fashion is a statement of who you are. I don’t get anyone who says “the way I dress, doesn’t matter, or, doesn’t reflect my personality”… It truly does! If you are willing to strut your self in front of the world in a non-trendy, or unique item that your friends, or your peers wouldn’t wear, then it says a lot about your character and your ability to be an individual. My fashion story is long, and unexpected. I stumbled across chictopia through google search when I was searching something completely unrelated to fashion.. After drooling, and finding so much inspiration, even though I was not fashionable AT ALL, I ended up trying to create more style, and then I joined chictopia, and then I found fashion blogs… and Here I am now. I can’t imagine where I’d be without fashion..

posted about 5 years ago

hotfudgexd
Style_council
hotfudgexd

I’ve always loved fashion. Not necessarily brands and everything, just dressing up and dressing how I feel. I used to be very branded , but thank god for my sister. She’s the most inspirational person i know, when she was my age she had colored dreadlocks ! and well much more. She helped me loosen up a little and get inspirational with my clothes.

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION