Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
xs_
Style_icon
xs_

Under competitive scrutiny, it has come to my attention that in addition to “make me a favorite” spam is a new found duplicitous means of campaign. I’ll be blunt. It’s obvious that some members are asking their friends to create quick accounts and add them as favorites to head off other members. Now, it’s quite likely that your friends are fans of your style and want to support you. But when you are in a fashion collective like Chictopia, I feel that people favoriting you should be active participants, not one time vote machines.

So, how do I know of such foul play? To be honest, I don’t. Without direct admission of guilt, there’s no way to prove it. But if you’re curious, follow the shoe fan trail. Then you might find a pattern of questionable fans magically creeping up at convenient moments, claiming the same locale as the alleged member and arriving three in a row.

I’m taking a risk here. As a competing member for Style Icon, I could sound bitter and pretentious to many. But I know I’ve been fighting the good fight, clean and old school. And it irritates me when people play dirty. Remember when Style Icons were about good posts and honest community feedback? Remember when genuine participation mattered?

I’ve said my peace. Whether I end up with the coveted title or not is irrelevant. What matters is that my fans are legit and chose me as a favorite of their own accord. No offense, but that trumps any title Chictopia could offer.

Now, what say you? And how can we make it better for the next honest Chictopian running for Style Icon?

posted over 5 years ago
raiscake
Style_council
raiscake

It sounds like a stretch, but not at all impossible. It’s not hard to get carried away when you’re so close to becoming a Style Icon. Of course, everyone wants the attention and bragging rights, no matter how much you insist that it’s all about the fashion.

Remember though that there are still a number of users out there who prefer to lurk the site and prefer not to post anything (out of shyness or intimidation, perhaps; this is a pretty visual site). Perhaps they signed up for an account to keep their favorites more organized or simply participate in comments and forums. It could also be possible that they registered, added a few people they liked, logged out, and never came back. I know a few who have added me as a favorite. When I checked their chicblog, it was empty. That’s too bad. I would love to interact with people who see me as a favorite. :)

Again, I won’t rule out the possibility of sockpuppet accounts. It’s so, so easy to do it. I actually know someone who became a style icon because she flooded everyone’s inbox. This happened before the issue was brought up so she managed to get away with it. It makes me a little angry, but I won’t say any names. You know who you are.

Everyone, please play fairly. Being a style icon is great, but you’ll never fully enjoy the status if you know you had to cheat to get it. Just appreciate the fans who genuinely love your style, may it be ten or a hundred. :) Then one day, you might just earn the title.

posted over 5 years ago

CheriChictopia
Style_council
CheriChictopia

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We need people like you to keep our community honest and supportive! Go ahead and message me the names of users that you find “suspicious”. We’ll investigate.

posted over 5 years ago

Shabby_chic
Style_icon
Shabby_chic

I agree with XS re the “shoe trait fans” issue. I m honored to be voted as one of the icon candidates which i must confessed i m not into this favorable game honestly. When i first joined Chictopia last month, i wasn’t awared about the Style Icon thingie until the announcement of the April Style Icon, and my hubby was the one who aware of the icon candidates section, then i realized i was one of them. We did notice about the shoe fans phenomena esp towards the end of month, theres a group of shoes fans who had been allocated themselves with certain favorable candidates. Even myself, i have encountered a few “shoes fans” who have not participated in the community at all n added me as their favorite without even befriended me!! I really hope that they r actual person who had been genuinely participated in this community. But this is oso beyond our control, like the “lookbook vs people” issue raised by Princeoftennis earlier, the dispute will not resolved until there’s at least a moderator in this site to oversee rules n regulations.
I came across a new blog “loveonplatform” who had used Miroslava Duma’s pics (a Russian socialite/Harpers Bazaar’s editor) in her blog as herself. Well, Miroslava Duma is one of my fav stylist n i got pissed off to see ppl using her identity to post pics. Should the authority do something with this??

posted over 5 years ago

flattery
Style_icon
flattery

I totally agree, but also there are random people who join the site for like 1 day and then just add a bunch of people as favourites. For instance, I went to my fans and noticed that like 10 of them are shoes, so I went to their page and all they have for happenings is adding people as favourites.
I think maybe there should be a rule that you can only add people as favourites if you are on the site for 10 days or something. Would that make any difference? Hmm

posted over 5 years ago

raiscake
Style_council
raiscake

Setting rules like “10 days before you can add faves” or “Post outfits or we terminate your account” is detrimental to the site though. Again, there are people who prefer to casually browse or participate in discussions before they’re brave enough to post outfits. Also, you need an account to leave comments, so actual fans who want to interact with their faves need to get one, even if that’s all they’re using it for. Setting strict rules will turn potential users off, and we do want this site to grow, right? ;) Of course, participation is highly encouraged but shouldn’t be forced. That’s so elitist.

I’m not even sure if this issue exists. I can’t prove or disprove it. IP addressing might help though? I know I have “shoe fans” that actually came from my youtube channel. They’re subscribers of my channel who came over here to keep track of my chicblog. I can tell you right now that they’re real people. :P

posted over 5 years ago

kt_krazy
Style_council
kt_krazy

To just go off topic. I have the same beef maggiey has. Loveonplatforms is pretending to be Miroslava Duma (of Harper’s Bazaar Russia) to advertise her online store. I left a comment just to be like hey, if you’re going to post pics of her, you might as well just say it’s Miraslava rather than pretend it’s you in the pics. Well, the lovely little fake deleted my comment and moved on. Quite frankly, I’m offended that people on this website don’t realize. Miroslava Duma IS chic, Loveonplatforms pretending to be someone else is not.

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

oh what??? that’s crazy! did you send a message to cheri about this? coz that makes me feel so tricked! i totally almost commented on her last photo to compliment her. tricky!

posted over 5 years ago

Shabby_chic
Style_icon
Shabby_chic

High 5 kt_krazy n thanks for ur shout!

posted over 5 years ago

Lola_Paris
Style_council
Lola_Paris

I didn´t notice it, till you message me maggiey!
I don´t understand why people use others id to sell a couple of clothes! Really pissed me off and, of course i´m going to delete loveonlatforms from my favorite list!

*Cheri, if you investigate this, please let us know the truth about her.

Lola :)

posted over 5 years ago

CheriChictopia
Style_council
CheriChictopia

Hi there! Thank you so much for all the discussion on how we can make the community better! We are so touched to have such a great group of loyal members!
A few people touched up on similar topics, so I’ll address some of them here.

- If you get spam messages, the best response is to flag these users. We research all the flagged members and warn/block them depending on the severity of the violation.
- Flagging is also the best way to notify us of suspicious profiles. In some cases, if we don’t see right away the violation, we usually message the reporter for the cause. We do investigate every case!
- Style icon. This program is created to help surface not only the best of the community, but also new talents. Before Chictopia, it’s been very hard to break into the fashion industry, let alone get noticed. Chictopia wants to help identifying talents from the people by giving out our prestigious title to true talents, not people with a lot of money – celebrities or socialites. Our past style icons have been featured in magazines, ad campaigns, and many have been offered gigs from publications. It is an honor and a privilege to become a style icon and there are many associated perks. Having said that, we have noticed that the tactics used for obtaining such title has deviated from the normal path over the past few months. Transgressions range from spam to creating fake accounts. To address this, we’ve started to do “background checks” on style icon candidates and we feel fairly confident that for April and May, the icons all won the title because of their style, their confidence, and their integrity. We hope to continue this program and refine it to better serve our users. Please let us know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions!

posted over 5 years ago

SarahJayne
Shop_seller_2 SarahJayne is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
SarahJayne

Cheri, I think you should implement a 3 strike rule: fish for 3 favors/compliments and you’re gone. All it would take are 3 recipients of such spam to clue the mods in to what’s going on.

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION