SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
TAGS:  fashionblouseclothingdressesjewelryoffice clothesshirt
rmenius
Style_council
rmenius

First of all, so sorry if I am repeating an existing post….

What kind of dress codes do you have to work around in your work environment? More importantly, are they followed?

I work in a very corporate environment. No flip flops, skirts not much shorter than knee length, no jeans, even on Fridays. These are pretty standard rules. Does anyone have anything unusual you can’t wear to work?

I have noticed the longer we are in this recession the more relaxed people have become with the dress codes. During the winter people started wearing jeans any day of the week. Now that summer is here I’ve spotted flip flops coming down the hallways. Do you feel this is excusable with the stress this country and the whole world is facing at this time?

posted over 5 years ago
ivyxx
Style_council
ivyxx

I work in a group home so we have a pretty relaxed work environment. Basically, the dress code was described to me as “If you take any of the men out, make sure you look respectable, since you’re representing the home to the community”. So I guess no boobs or butts hanging out, or clothing with offensive words/images. Pretty minimal dress code, so everyone follows it.

posted over 5 years ago

viridianduchess
Style_council
viridianduchess

I work in a lab—-so safety first—we must have our feet and legs covered, no tank tops either. I wear a lab coat all day, and since it’s hospital based we can’t wear jeans.

posted over 5 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

I have two jobs…
I’m a sales associate at Aerie, the American Eagle underwear line. I have to wear, quote from the associate’s handbook, “beach casual”, so tank tops, sandals, shorts in the summer, and jeans, sweaters, boots in the winter. Basically, I can usually just wear whatever I’ve worn to class.
For my second job I have to wear all black (server/cocktail waitress!). During the day its modest shorts or a skirt (for summer, pants for winter) and a shirt that shows “no boob, no armpit”". For dinner its dresses or skirts only, and for cocktailing its wear as little as possible to make the most money.

To answer the question, I don’t think the economy is a valid excuse to dress lazily. If anything, its a time to look more closely at what you’re wearing to work. Wearing jeans to work may give off the vibe that you don’t really care about your job, and the boss may take that into account when layoffs come around… not good :(

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

At the moment I’m not working, but I have to hang out at hospital a lot for classes, and I think their dress code could best be described as “corporate casual.” So I wear silk blouses, bright coats, pleated skirts, subdued tights, flats, occasionally cardigans and pinafores. Back when I used to work, I worked at a clothing store, where I pretty much had to dress exclusively in their clothes (it was just casual stuff like jeans, cotton dresses, denim skirts etc), and I also worked at a newsagency with a very inflexible dress code. Ugly uniform shirt and black formal pants/skirt with black closed-toe shoes.

posted over 5 years ago

harriet_gunner
Style_council
harriet_gunner

I work in an office environment, but we’re allowed to wear whatever we want as long as it doesnt show off too much flesh, which is pretty good because i dont have to go out and by loads of posh suit stuff :)

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I started my job last Sunday. It’s at a toy store, so of course it’s not all corporate-like. We have to wear aprons, but under that you’re allowed to wear basically whatever unless it’s trashy and just plain inappropriate.

posted over 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

Unfortunately my job requires a uniform so I have basically no choice in my style at all when I’m working. It’s white button down shirt, black trousers and black closed toe and back shoes. Not even jewellery and hair accessories are allowed unless they’re subtle.

posted over 5 years ago

kirstie__s
Style_council
kirstie__s

head to toe black for me.
i got told off for wearing a green belt the other day.

posted over 5 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I work as a teacher at public school in a small city in Japan, and people wear pretty much what teachers at public schools in small cities everywhere seem to wear: a mix from business formal to completely casual depending on the attitude and style of the teacher. It’s slightly more conservative than in the US, though; for instance, we’re supposed to keep accessories to a minimum— just watches and wedding rings. I was also told to avoid sleeveless shirts, cleavage, and jeans, but some teachers are at work every day in track suits, which seems more casual than jeans to me! I usually wear non-denim trousers or conservative-length skirts with tops that aren’t too tight, revealing, or obviously casual. (Like no graphic tees).

The only really strict rule is the most unusual: You can’t wear the shoes you came in with. You have to exchange your street shoes for indoor slippers, which is a pair of never-been-worn-outside shoes or slippers you leave at the school to wear for work each day. It’s a styling nightmare; imagine trying to match your outfit to the same color/style of shoe every day! Especially when, if you’re practical, you choose shoes which are comfy to stand around and teach in for as long as six hours a day. Some teachers wear professional shoes and heels, but most of them are in athletic sandals and crocs. I wear a pair of moccasins in summer and Ugg-inspired shearling slippers in winter because they’re warm on the unheated linoleum floors.

It makes for some pretty hilarious outfits sometimes (there are a lot of teachers wearing crocs with business suits), but apparently this is normal all over Japan.

posted over 4 years ago

SeekingStyle
Style_council
SeekingStyle

I’m unemployed now but my last job was in an office and there was really no dress code (expect the obvious common sense ones). People wore jeans, hooded sweatshirts, flip flops, or dressed up in skirts, dresses and heels. I really liked it because I didn’t have to spend extra money on clothes I may not wear otherwise.

posted over 4 years ago

MeganPlisky
New_user MeganPlisky is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When MeganPlisky reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MeganPlisky

It's an interesting point you make about the recession and clothing rules becoming lax. I work for a startup company, so our dress code is pretty casual. But I do like to dress office chic sometimes. I found this shirt I love from a cool store called Mint & pink.  It's a black, silk button-up, and everything is 20% off!!

posted 10 months ago

Chessy
Style_council
Chessy

I am a teacher for corporate clients and non, in a day I can see any one from CEOs to 5 year old children, in different locations. I generally dress in the same code a the others working in the company. If they are wearing something informal I can do it too, and vice-versa. Generally I do wear dresses and skirts, in summer and in winter, but I do not wear jackets. 

posted 9 months ago

mishpish
Style_council
mishpish

My previous job, there were pretty strick rules such as:

1. Blazer must be worn at all times outside the office

2. Tights must be worn throughout the year except in the summer time.

3. Must wear polishable dress shoes

4. Heels must not be over 4 inches

5. No peak toe shoes unless it's summertime

6. No boots of any kind

and the list goes on!

And yes, they must always be followed :(

posted 7 months ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

My dress code for work has changed drastically since my reply further up the page. Now its anything goes apart from butt cheeks hanging out of shorts and not too much stomach on show. One of the perks of working in fashion retail :)

posted 6 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION