Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
LadyLuna
Style_council
LadyLuna

One of the most important things about clothing to me is not only how stylish it is, but what kind of mesage the overall outfit gives about my personality. One thing that can really give people a strong first impression of you is how modestly (or immodestly) you dress. But what does modesty really mean in this day and age? I myself am kind of old fashioned on this concept when applying it to myself because I like to follow a classy sort of style. I cover my shoulders, wear skirts at or below the knee, and keep my chest and torso covered.
Do you have any specific types of modesty you like to follow? Why are they important to you?

posted almost 5 years ago
AsyaWatWat
Style_council
AsyaWatWat

Jeans/pants that fit properly. Not too small to show the crack of my buttocks. That’s just one I can think of off the top of my head.

xvavavava
Style_council
xvavavava

not showing too much skin (mini skirt with super cleavage-revealing shirt=not happening) but also not wearing all skintight clothes. balancing your outfits so that you can still show a little of what you’ve got and still look classy and pretty

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

My general rule is that if I’m exposed on top, such as with a low-cut shirt or sleeveless top, I cover up on bottom with pants or a skirt with tights or leggings— and vise-versa, where if I wear a miniskirt with bare legs I try to keep the sleeves and/or neckline of the top more conservative. The same goes with tightness; I would wear skinny jeans with a baggy or drape-y top, but I would wear bootcut, flare, or wide-leg jeans with a tighter-fitting top.

I think a key part of modesty is knowing the context. One should look more conservative for work (though even individual fields and workplaces may vary), but it’s unnecessary or even awkward to cover every inch of skin when going out to a bar or club. That said, when the context is unknown or up to my discretion, I tend to air on the side of classic/conservative just because I like to present a “good girl” vibe. While I have very few insecurities about my body, the sad truth is people do judge us based on how much of it we expose. Since I don’t like getting crude comments or lewd looks or have to work to overcome a bad first impression made by my clothes, I tend to like to keep it classy.

museworthy
Style_council
museworthy

Class. In my opinion, it’s all about class. How you carry yourself and how confident you are with what your wearing and what not. It’d drive me crazy to see a well-dress girl trying to hide because she’s self-conscious. Carrying yourself well is something a person should always demonstrate and your style won’t be a huge issue. Of course, I’m not saying you should walk around in a midriff and thong, but as long as your decent and not overly confident, I think class is the one thing you maintain. Of course you classy chictopians know what class is.

Personally, I wear respectable clothes. Clothes that’d make you “wifey material” Haa, besides I got small tits so showing off any skin up here is not even an option for me.

LadySunshine
Style_council
LadySunshine

Modest is Hottest! :) I have that printed on a t-shirt, LOL.

LadyLuna
Style_council
LadyLuna

I like what was said about class too. Thats so true.

posted over 4 years ago

xvavavava
Style_council
xvavavava

Personally, I wear respectable clothes. Clothes that’d make you “wifey material” Haa, besides I got small tits so showing off any skin up here is not even an option for me.

welllll i don’t necessarily want to look like wifey material at the ripe old age of 20, that’s pretty far off my radar.

i actually like that being flat-chested lets me get away with a lot more. i can wear my AA deep v-neck on any old day when some of my more endowed friends absolutely cannot unless they want awkward stares and “my face is up here” situations all day! if i’m wearing something low-cut, its really not going to get very crazy ever, haha

posted over 4 years ago

GlammcouturE
Style_council
GlammcouturE

I think different body types are harder to dress modest for. For example, I have wear C cups, and I have trouble finding low-cut tops that are still modest and doesn’t let everything hang out.

I think that most stylish people are often the ones who are most modest

posted over 4 years ago

problematique
Style_council
problematique

I think it’s important to dress comfortably and wearing what’s comfortable for you. If you don’t feel comfortable in it, then don’t wear it – that’s my usual rule. I think modesty is really important – you can’t be stylish if you look like a hooker.

posted over 4 years ago

KarenKay
New_user KarenKay is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When KarenKay reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
KarenKay

Definitely dressing in terms of the context defines what is acceptable. “Modest” is a vague term b/c different people have different interpretations of it.
I follow the same rule as MurasakiNeko, in that if the top half of my body is “exposed,” the bottom half has to be covered up + vice versa. However, since I’ve pretty much no breasts goin’ on up there, I only have modest/full coverage shirts, except for a few t-shirts. (however I have no problem w/ that…. apparently in Japan it’s a huge no-no to have cleavage in public? I’m set for my epic trip to conquest Johnny’s Entertainment idols! bwahaha ;D)

posted over 4 years ago

PaperGownSM
Style_council
PaperGownSM

i always try to show off one feature – if i’m wearing a lower cut top, i make sure to cover the bottom (that seems to be a general rule haha) if i’m wearing a short skirt, i always wear tights (sheer if it’s summer) with little spandex shorts underneath to make sure my business stays my business… what’re those called in cheerleading? spankies? i was a big nerd in hs so i don’t really know haha

posted over 4 years ago

audreyj
Style_council
audreyj

mmm, i don’t liek to use super duper mini skirts, blouses or tunics with leggins and even less with tights! i don’t know i find it of bad taste. I also don’t like super mini skirts or shorts.

posted over 4 years ago

AlexMoore
Style_council
AlexMoore

Gosh…! A very good question. For me the human body is a beautiful form in nature and clothes. can only serve two purposes: To protect from climate extremes, and to help celebrate the natural beauty of the body.
Attend any art school. life drawing class and see just how reverentially the naked human body is celebrated. treated and respected.
Modesty is a cultural perception anyway. There are many cultures that celebrate their humanism unadorned, or scarified, or daubed but unclothed.
So really the notion of modesty for me is all in the mind. The minds of the intelligent and liberal thinkers; but sadly also in the mind of others who would narrowly feel safe only through killjoy Calvinistic and judgemental reaction to style or fashion that splendidly defines but does not hide natural human bodily beauty.
Fashion by definition is a design art firm, and therefore ir must be vital, fesh, alive and above all it must be the fun of he new that no matter how timeless – like the mini – is always fresh, flattering, joyful, comfortable, vital, and the fun of the forever new. Fashion must always hold elemental art and fun with style.
Anyway…. Morality comes from within ourselves, as does modesty, surely….?
And why is it that in some cultures that enforce so-called ‘modest’ extremes of coverng on women are the very patriarchal cultures that beat and stone women to death, and discourage education for girls; all in the name of ‘modesty’?
Surely, with the entire history of Western art to guide us. and with the sage observations of countless poets, writers, musicians and philosophers to inspire us, we can none of us justify any prohibition tnat would cast in the name of ‘modesty’ a demonic shadow over our womanhood. our femininity in all its wonders….?

- Alexxxx

posted about 2 years ago

AlexMoore
Style_council
AlexMoore

PS
Meant to say too that I support all that MurasikiNemo said here
Also, I question the thinking of people who would define the fashion statements and choices of others by what they themselves might or might not ‘like’. Such opinion and expressed distaste is most usuallybecause of prejudice and narrow-minded bias.
Further, I wonder if most proper ‘hookers’ aka. ‘call girls’, ‘prostitutes’ and ‘sex workers’ actually dress themselves in a way that will allow total discretion in the streets, bars, clubs, discos, airport lounges and hotel lobbies…?
Perhaps the popular notion of a ‘hooker’ is more Hollywood fantasy…. Although In truth, a ‘hooker ’ is legitimately a position played on the field in Rugby football.
And I’d never call one of those beefy muscle men immodest. …..
Just saying….

- Alexxxx

posted about 2 years ago

AlexMoore
Style_council
AlexMoore

PS
Meant to say too that I support all that MurasikiNemo said here
Also, I question the thinking of people who would define the fashion statements and choices of others by what they themselves might or might not ‘like’. Such opinion and expressed distaste is most usuallybecause of prejudice and narrow-minded bias.
Further, I wonder if most proper ‘hookers’ aka. ‘call girls’, ‘prostitutes’ and ‘sex workers’ actually dress themselves in a way that will allow total discretion in the streets, bars, clubs, discos, airport lounges and hotel lobbies…?
Perhaps the popular notion of a ‘hooker’ is more Hollywood fantasy…. Although In truth, a ‘hooker ’ is legitimately a position played on the field in Rugby football.
And I’d never call one of those beefy muscle men immodest. …..
Just saying….

- Alexxxx

posted about 2 years ago

AlexMoore
Style_council
AlexMoore

Ooops…! Sri…. I must have tapped the screen too many times, or too hard. Can’t delete the duplicate post. Ignore.
- Axxxxx

posted about 2 years ago

Smash86
Style_council
Smash86

I think balancing the amount of skin you want to show is important. Like showing off your collerbone/chest area and keeping your legs covered from the knee up. I really do believe a woman looks sexier/beautiful when she is dressing modestly and leaving more to the imagination :)

posted over 1 year ago

misstiem
Style_council
misstiem

I would consider that I dress modestly. I feel very…naked? when my chest is exposed or even my legs. I try not to let my shirt go further down than 3 fingers from my collarbone and my skirts/dresses to be higher than the middle of my thigh. The most I would get away with “too much skin” is wearing short shorts on a really hot day. You don’t need to show skin or wear tight clothes to be sexy.

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION