SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

What does “chic” really mean to you?
We all say it’s chic when we like the outfit.

Chic, to me, means something that looks effortless and looks still good.
Also, it is more like aura that person (and the outfit) gives out.

How about you?
What comes to your mind when you hear “chic” or say something/someone is “chic”?

posted almost 6 years ago
pandafly
Style_council
pandafly

being fashionable in your own way…
just wearing something you’re proud of basically.
personal style. :)

Michael993
Style_council
Michael993

To me, chic means graceful and stylish.

And when I hear the word ‘chic’ I picture a Coco Chanel-esque woman with a long rope of pearls and a cigarette holder.

CiaranAnn
Style_council
CiaranAnn

Being stylish, confident, and classy. I think everyone has the potential to be chic by wearing what they want and feeling unstoppable in it =]

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

@CiaranAnn

“feeling unstoppable in it”
I like that! It means you are comfortable with your outfits and you know you own it, right?
Loves it :) I think you are so right.

TheEchosAnswer
Style_council
TheEchosAnswer

I agree with fashionable, yet personal.

Kelko
Style_council
Kelko

To me, Chic is dressing as yourself, who you actually are, in a stylish manner.

derabklatsch
Style_council
derabklatsch

Personally I don’t find “chic” to be the the exact same thing as “fashionable” or “stylish.” “Chic” connotes elegance, sophistication, and most of the time, classic. For example, I would never think of the word “chic” if I see a fluoro outfit, but I might call it stylish.

I don’t think there’s anything chicer than mastering sprezzatura.

QueenCourt
Style_council
QueenCourt

I think it is effortless, being yourself through your clothes and your demeanor. Not following trends but setting them. Taking risks, and while doing everything else carrying yourself with class.

badatsports
Style_council
badatsports

I second basically everything that was said above. In my opinion, someone can look well put together, but not stylish if they are wearing the same exactly thing everyone else is wearing. Taking risks and dressing for yourself is the most important thing.

Karolina
Style_council
Karolina

basically an outfit that is well put together.
An outfit you look at and think ‘wow’.

clairelynette
Style_council
clairelynette

In the classic sense chic is defined by elegance and sophistication (think: Coco Chanel, Carolina Herrera), which is why I sometimes have trouble describing some outfits I see here and elsewhere as chic. It’s not always chic, but it certainly can be a very good ensemble (think: Iris Apfel, Carrie Bradshaw). Perphaps for the purpose of personal style and maybe this website you have to use it in your own terms. I think someone who can put together an outfit they feel comfortable in that expresses who they are or want to be is chic and that’s what I try to remember here.

SarahJayne
Shop_seller_2 SarahJayne is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
SarahJayne

I always say that fashion is what you wear, and style is HOW you wear it! And I think ‘chic’ and having style are one and the same.

A person who knows who they are and what they like makes a fashionable outfit stylish. Whereas a clueless follower…. they don’t wear the item, the item wears them! And thats never chic!
REPLY TO DISCUSSION