SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
LaBellaVita323
Style_council
LaBellaVita323

Maybe this is just because i’m new.
i’ve seen alot on here about how people absoloutley detest abercombie, hollister, juicy, etc..
I don’t shop at those places, nor do i think logo shirts are very original, but all fashion forums I’ve been on never shutup about how much they hate these brands. Even uggs. A basic boot. Crocs, understandable. But a boot. With fur on the inside. Any mainstream wear is blacklisted. Is it because everyone wears these things ? Then again the girls ,the ones I know at least, hate them but all shop at UO and own a lot of the same stuff..
Most hate abercombie, etc because everyone wears it, and it’s ridiculously over priced. But it’s good to purchase an $80 shirt from topshop where a couple million girls with the same mindset are shopping aswell ?
I’m seeing mostly people who try to blend in and people who think they’re above that. Thoughts ?

posted over 5 years ago
lovelytyphoon_
Style_council
lovelytyphoon_

Personally I think that Abercombie and Hollister and all those stores are sort of bland, and UO has more of a fun and bright feeling. More urban, I guess.

They all are expensive when you come down to it, so I’d rather be bright than bland. But that’s just my personal opinion.

(I can’t afford either of those brands, so I stick to thrifting which a lot of people do here)

posted over 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

I think the difference is that Topshop sells a designed item whereas brands like Abercrombie and Hollister rely upon branding and advertising to justify their prices. I don’t think anyone is against spending money (this entire site is probably testament to that), but I think they see a difference between paying for a silhouette and paying for a logo.

posted over 5 years ago

heatherrr
Style_council
heatherrr

I think one of the reasons that Abercrombie/Hollister/American Eagle/etc. is getting so much hate on here is not because of the clothes (because honestly they are bland – jeans, tees, hoodies – nothing to write home about) but because of the people that wear them. The “popular” crowd in most high schools has almost always favored the stereotypical “preppy” look and mocked and made fun of the people who dressed a little differently, i.e. in thrift store finds (which you are more likely to find on Chictopia). I’ve noticed in reading some of the posts trashing these brands that girls will say “I hate GIRLS who wear Uggs” not “I hate Uggs” which leads me to believe its a lot more about a personal attack than just finding a pair of fur boots or a sweater with a moose on it ugly.

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

There is virtually no design behind the products at Hollister, Abercrombie, etc. I mean, there’s a few nicer tops (that’ll cost you, oh about $50 on average) but they’re always the same year after year (even season after season, with slight modifications. Now I’m not saying you have to be ultra-trendy, but at least come up with something new! I’d much rather splurge at Topshop or Urban than one of those stores, but I don’t have much money so I can’t.

The only store in that category I go in sometimes is American Eagle. If you look past the logo tees and hoodies, you can find some nice basics for cheap if they’re on sale (frequently are).

But Uggs, don’t get me started… I think they’re ugly, even if they are basic. I’ve hated them ever since the first time I saw them. But what annoys me is when people go around saying they love animals, yet they wear the skin and fur of sheep on their feet. What? It’s not because they’re mainstream, it’s because they’re hideous.

Sorry, I was ranting. I apologize!

posted over 5 years ago

frenchieee
Style_council
frenchieee

Agreed with geekbonchic. I don’t believe in paying for a moose/seagull stitched to the bottom of a top/jeans.

posted over 5 years ago

TheAndreaF
Style_council
TheAndreaF

I cannot stand Hollister and Abercrombie not because I really dislike the clothes, its just that there are 23476295+ people at school wearing the same darn shirt from there. Its also very expensive and generally for very thin people (meaning not flattering to my shape) I can tolerate American Eagle just because their shorts fit me so well haha

posted over 5 years ago

raiscake
Style_council
raiscake

What geekbonchic said. And I don’t really hate A&F, Hollister, et al per se. I have a few of their items and they’re pretty decent. I have more of a beef with their stores. :P They’re so dark and whatever perfume they spray there gives me a headache.

posted over 5 years ago

BustownModern
Style_council
BustownModern

Hailing from the hometown of both Abercrombie and Hollister, I say they both do their jobs of being both decidedly midwestern and blase in style and design. Some people LIKE to look boring and that’s fine. My real problem comes w/ the fact that the stuff falls apart. I have bought basics from thrift stores before only for a tshirt w/ the tags on it to fall apart in the first wash. If I’m going to spend $80 on a tshirt, it had better hold up.

At least Abercrombie is basically sticking to its roots and doing what it’s been doing for 100 years – simple, preppy clothing. Yes there’s some trendiness mixed in but if you want an intarsia knit wool sweater – that is STILL the place to go in the fall.

Don’t ask me about their magazine though – I am still not sure what they are trying to prove with that.

My real problem is w/ UO. Poorly made clothing from 3rd world countries that is a complete cop off of vintage styles. I have sold to them multiple times and seen my exact item copied and sold by the millions three months later – hence the reason for the Urban Renewal line.

They also have a reputation for hiring young designers to do a line for them, then firing them and stealing their designs the next season. Again, just shady. Huge republican conglomerate that just really, really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

GAG

posted over 5 years ago

twinkl
Shop_seller_2 twinkl is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
twinkl

haha @frenchieee. I would not pay for a moose or a gull either unless it’s stuffed and ready to hang on my wall.

posted over 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I used to like A&F and Hollister and wear them because at the time, in England, it was something different amongst the sea of chavvy McKenzie, Playboy, Golddigga etc. t-shirts. Now somehow everyone is getting hold of the stuff and my town is now a sea of A&F and Hollister. Thankfully the general British public haven’t discovered American Eagle yet. Good thing cause their stuff is better quality than the others and sometimes they do some nice stuff with a little more variation than the other brands. I’m not a big wearer of the stuff but I would much rather be seen in AE than the others.

posted over 5 years ago

mimoji
Style_council
mimoji

American eagle has some really cute skirts, jeans, cardigans, etc. but you have to know what you’re looking for. I don’t have a problem with them.

I don’t happen to like a&f, hollister, or aeropostale because it’s basic crap with “AEROGIRL” or even less creative, the brand name itself written in either plain white or rainbow colors.

I don’t care if other people want to be walking billboards, I’d rather not be one. it’s the same with sports companies like Fox or Thor (riding,) Billabong and Roxie (Surf,) and Nike (basketball, athletic clothes in general.)

You can find some cool stuff in a lot of these companies but they price those items at 80-120 dollars. It’s ridiculous, you can get a really nicely constructed piece of clothing for the same amount.

I myself have loads of cheap retailer stuff, like 80% of my wardrobe is Forever 21 and I even have an aeropostale cardigan myself but I don’t have anything that has the label name visible anywhere (except on the inside tag.)

Uggs are a different story. They’re often too clunky looking and too expensive. There ARE other companies that make cute boots that are similar but way more functional (I have Minnetonka moccasins that have lasted about 18 months now.)

All of these brand-hate issues spawn from one big problem: loss of individual style. I don’t care if my best friend has a wardrobe full of hollister clothes, but I’m not going to be socially interested in someone who wears one silhouette, with the same logos plastered across their chest every single day. It’s just not that fascinating, and that’s why people don’t like those clothes.

posted over 5 years ago

RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

I’m so with you all. I totally own a few things from AE. I really love their hoodies, they typically are really cheap when on sale. I got one for 10 one time and they last for awhile. The down side is that everyone has it and I never wear them outside my house. It’s such a shame, I see those brands are everywhere in my town, I went to a concert on Saturday and saw so many of labels. I felt so out of touch in my gray skinnies and white tee.

UGGS are so nasty. Have you seen those flip flop ones I have, and it was at a pool. I gaged, not to be mean, but imagine the bacteria those things have. The boots are so tacky but I have the generic kind, that’s right. It keeps my toes warm but again I only use them around my house and occasionly when my feet need that warm but I wear really thick socks.

posted over 5 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

I really don’t enjoy the whole “Just stepped out of a Hollister Catalog” or the intense branding, but it won’t stop me from buying something from their store if its a decent price and i like it. I work at Aerie, the bra/undie line for American Eagle, and 95% of their stuff doesn’t have a logo or anything like that, and its always on sale. It sucks that you’ll see a lot of people wearing what you have, but then its just a challenge to make it look more original!

posted over 5 years ago

bombx
Style_council
bombx

I went to the abercrombie & fitch store in London few days ago and their stuff double the US price, like 30pounds (around $40) for a tshirt and 70pounds for a zip up hoody. It’s absolutely insane, but the interior of the store looks quite nice.

posted over 5 years ago

raiscake
Style_council
raiscake

I went to A&F today when my friend and I were scoping out someone we know who works there. Hehe! I really like their button down men’s shirt, but they were really overpriced. :( And I ended up liking more stuff from the men’s section than in the women’s. :P

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION