Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
CountryCityGirl
Style_council
CountryCityGirl

I was just over on the thread Thrifting Tricks and it got me to thinking about thrifting quirks.

As I’ve said, I love a thrift store. I can spend hours (and have) in a thrift store trying on items, thinking about ways to alter items etc…. But there is something about thrifting that I absolutely loathe. When it happens my face scrunches up and my eyeballs start rolling.

This phenomenon is so cruel, it could only be Chaos or the fashion demon ( What you don’t know who he/ she is? He/ she’s that wicked devil that convinces you to buy that item that you know is so Not cute,that item you think you can pull off because you’re fabulous… uh huh. He/ she’s that crazy over excited voice that convinces you that you will alter that item and then when you never do laughs at you. Yup, I knew you had one too). What am I talking about you ask? What am I TALKING ABOUT?!

The curse of the size 6- 6.5 shoe! Every shoe I’ve picked up in a thrift store that was chic and well made, has been a size 6.5 shoe. Argghh!

It happened to me today…AGAIN. There I was in the St. Mary’s Upscale Thrift Store when a pair of red velvet slippers with cut out details on the top/sides and kitten heels caught my eye. I held my breath and rushed over to the wall unit they were hanging from and slowly picked them up. I knew it as soon as I got a good close up of them, but I had to check…the lighting could be glaring on my glasses right? NO! Size 6.5.

I can’t figure out why size 8.5 shoe wearers refuse to donate their shoes ( I take that back, their cute, gently used shoes, frumpy is covered). Maybe we wear them till they fall apart? (That’s me definitely.) Maybe the donators are just much older… previous generations were shorter etc…. Maybe I need to move.

The whole thing is BANANNAS!

So tell me…. What quirky thing about thrifting gets under your skin?

posted almost 4 years ago
opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

I also see lots of 6-6.5 shoes that I want but are too small. I also seem to find really really cute dresses but upon further inspection notice that they are smocked and smocking does not look good on me.

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Hehe loved reading your post! I agree with you, I also see lots of size 6 shoes! And size 9-10 shoes. :P
I also wish that vintage 80s/90s dresses were more flattering on me! All of the cute ones have either a drop waist or that extra material on the bust so it looks puffy- dresses like this It;s just not flattering on anyone who has a largeish bust!! D: Also all the vintage dresses with nice patterns are like size 18+ ><
Also, I agree with you about buying things you THINK you’re going to alter… but you never do. Happens to me all the time!
I always get caught up by the low prices too, and end up buying things that are cheap even though I won’t wear them!! Need to learn more control lol.
Oh and the fact that prices vary a lot depending on what thrift/charity stores you go to. I love places run by little old ladies, the prices are always really good. But you also go to places like the Salvation Army and Savers and a lot of stuff is ridiculously overpriced! Like cheap/tacky chain stores dresses which are a few years old priced at $15- I could just go to the store and buy a new dress for the same price. And there’s always a ‘designer range’ rack in the Salvation army where they find the clothes that are apparently ‘designer’ brands and mark them up really high, even if the items are really, really ugly. and a lot of the time the items are fake anyway :P hehe
but yeahh… even though i’m ranting, I love second hand clothes!My wardrobe is over 50% thrifted :P

taylorjonas
Style_council
taylorjonas

i dont like when i find something designer that is so cute then theres like stains on it, ive never made the mistake of buying something without looking for stains though so thats good, but i find something cute and get excited but then see that it has stains. :/ but yesturday i found a BUNCH of bannana republic, and zara cardigans in like every color at my local goodwill :) i only but 2 though cause i really dont need alot more. i also hate how i find something cute then think oh idk where id wear that then get home and im like oh i shouldve bought it

CountryCityGirl
Style_council
CountryCityGirl

@ coldlight

I’m rebuilding my wardrobe after a two year shopping ban I imposed on myself so I could pay off some debts. Now I’m back on the prowl and I’m finding that sensible thrifting is helping me check off a lot of needed items off my list. I hope to get to 50% thrifted so I can purchase higher end items like shoes and bags.

@ taylorjonas

I cringe too when I see stains on would be beautiful designer items. I wonder why they even bothered putting them out. But if you like to sew even a little, you can make nice scarves, skirts, purses and hats out of them if there’s enough yardage in the item.

I’m also learning to listen to my inner shopper and get the items I love (especially if they’re one of a kind or reasonably priced, I can create a place to wear it to).

TupacTupacxo
Style_council
TupacTupacxo

I really dislike when thrift stores sells old sweatshirt, like those regular faded ones, for $30. Really, I’ve seen that. I also tend to dislike the basic items like white shirts or something like that because they seem old.

magali
Style_council
magali

Haha this is funny! :D

ShowNoLegs
Style_council
ShowNoLegs

Ha-ha! You got some good points in there girl! I haven’t bought any…any shoes from a vintage store too! And I’m a 7 to 7.5 which is pretty common here in the Philippines (the size,i mean) But if our thrift stores get their supplies of old stuff from other countries! Then that’s why all the shoes here are sized 7 and less!
Grrr…

miki_girl
Style_council
miki_girl

Funny you should mention thrifting cos I got a lovely, furry, scarlet vintage scarf yesterday and am wearing it as I type cos it just came out of the wash today and I was excited to wear it!

There are two things about thrifting that drive me insane. First of all, it may be because I live in the most obese country in the world (and I mean that literally) but about 85% of the clothes I like are HUGE on me. It doesn’t help that I’m extremely skinny either. I found this Just Jeans, black, classic coat a couple of week ago for $2, I looked like I was playing dress ups with my mum’s clothes. XD (I ended up buying it though. Too good of an opportunity to pass up! ;D

Also, because the ladies in my area who donate stuff are A. Old ladies and B. Don’t give a damn about fashion, it’s very rare, depending where you go thrifting-to find an article of clothing that isn’t a polo shirt and isn’t granny like.

posted over 3 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

It drives me totally insane because when I go thrifting with my mother she often criticizes what I pick out. So tierd of “You’re going to wear that?! What for?” and the like. Funny thing is, when I do end up actually wearing the piece she’s usually suprised I made it work and even likes it. I have to say, I really don’t care what others think of me, but my mom is the one exception to that. Something about her just scares me Lol Oh and also can’t stand finding a great piece and then realizing it reeks like cigarettes or something.

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION