SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Mademoiselle_Coco
Style_council
Mademoiselle...

Hey guys-

I have worn thigh highs a few times, but was wondering if it actually looked kind of silly on me. I turned 31 last months, and I do like to show my legs. I was just wondering if I was just past the “legal” age for thigh highs?
I can still wear them all scrunched up on top of knee high boots, so they’re not a total waste if I deciede not to wear them as thigh high anymore.
When I wear them, I always keep it sober, like neutral color, clean shapes + pointy toe flats usually. But still. I have some doubts now.
Thoughts?

posted over 3 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I think if you are styling them in balanced, conservative ways you are fine. First of all you look young and have amazing legs— and for better or worse people are less likely to bug you about “breaking rules” if you look good doing it. I think wearing neutral solid colors, pairing them with flats/low heels rather than super platform heels, and avoiding plaid skirts is a good line to stick to. If the socks are the one single “risque” part of your outfit I think it’s easier to pull off.

Also, if you wear them with a longer skirt (so a little skin only shows when you walk or sit) and/or with sheer tights underneath, it really tones down the sexy but you still can have the look. I am in Japan so the social perspective on them may be a little different, but I actually know a couple people in their 30s who wear them to work that way.

(Plus I think it’s honestly kind of silly that people automatically think long socks = sexy. Like, there are some people who think a miniskirt with bare legs is less sexy than a miniskirt with long socks. When more of you is covered up with the socks, how does that make any sense?).

posted over 3 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

Actually, thigh highs can cause cancer and other terminal ilnesses, when worn by anybody above 19. You’ve been warned!

posted over 3 years ago

Lagerfeld
Style_council
Lagerfeld

no age limit for that!!!

posted over 3 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I don’t think its an age thing, I mean, so long as you wear it classy, like anyone should (the only people who can get away with lace thigh-highs are teens I do believe, and even then, I’m wary of them lol) But if your legs look decent, and you’re in an environment which is accepting of them (taking into account not just your personal surroundings, but your community and culture) then I say go for it!

posted over 3 years ago

EveyHoneysuckle
Style_council
EveyHoneysuckle

I don’t think there’s an age limit. As long as they’re styled in a way generally accepted by society, it’s fine. I wear thigh highs ALL the time haha

posted over 3 years ago

Nkarm1
Style_council
Nkarm1

i think it depends on the person who wears them…. Like a girl could be young but might not fit that style despite her young age, while another person could be older and fit it….. And also how you style it…

posted over 3 years ago

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

I think they don`t have age limit because sometimes it is not even because of the outfit, sometimes people wear them because it is cold and they want to be warmer!

posted over 3 years ago

Mademoiselle_Coco
Style_council
Mademoiselle...

Thanks for all your replies. I like the idea of wearing them with tights underneath, so the contrast isn’t so noticeable.
As Chichicca wrote, it is a lot about surroundings and culture. I live in Brooklyn, and I like never see thigh highs, even though they’re everywhere on fashion blogs and magazines.

posted over 3 years ago

kiki_sandoval
Style_council
kiki_sandoval

no ones gonna tell u wat to wear becuase of ur age

posted over 3 years ago

angiekje
Style_council
angiekje

always wear what you feel confident wearing :)

I agree with hellotampon and MurasakiNeko, so I will not repeat them :p

Chicchica_bonita :p I am 24 and I wore lace tights during summer and think I pulled it off, what do you think-

I really enjoyed the quirky feel of that outfit :) I don’t know if I would dare to wear the kind with the floral lace pattern on top out in the open… especially being blonde…

posted over 3 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

honestly i think there IS an age limit for those socks. Like Murasaki said though, you look really young, I think you can pull them off =]

posted over 3 years ago

alinaceusan
Style_icon
alinaceusan

GO GET THE LOOK GIRL! you look rad, will totally suit u

posted over 3 years ago

soupsoua
New_user soupsoua is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When soupsoua reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
soupsoua

If you can pull it off, do it. :)

Age is just a number. :D

posted over 3 years ago

kayl
Style_council
kayl

As long as you style it well and like soupsoua said, if you can pull it off!
Go for it!

posted over 3 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I definitely think there is an age limit for thigh high socks, (eg most people probably wouldn’t want to see their mum or friends’ mums wearing them..) but I think they would look fine on you! Like others have said it does depend on how you style them, netural coloured socks like black or grey, and if you wear them with a simple outfit like a fitted dress. You don’t have to stick to flats either, a pair of chunky heeled booties would be great!

posted over 3 years ago

Allhailthequeen
Style_council
Allhailthequeen

Wear whatever you want and don’t regret it! Have fun, think Carrie Bradshaw (if thats your thing) HTH

posted over 3 years ago

HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

I’m also 31 and I actually do feel that there is an age limit for thigh high socks. At least for me. If you can pass as mid-twenties I think heading out to a bar with these on may be okay. Especially if the crowd you are with are younger.
Yeah, I do own a few pair of thigh high socks and I just feel kind of out of place wearing them out because it feels like I’m trying too hard to look ten years younger. I’m still relatively thin and I can sometimes pass for mid-twenties. But I still think I’m beyond looking like a I belong on The Cobra Snake age. Just my two cents

posted over 3 years ago

heartsandbooks
New_user heartsandbooks is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When heartsandbooks reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
heartsandbooks

I think that you should be fine in thigh high socks.

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION