Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
leedaniel
Style_council
leedaniel

I was at “Death Guild” in San Francisco last week, and I saw several guys wearing long skirts. Some were styled with buckles, chains, pleats, torn fabrics, leather, plaid, and mesh. I thought it looked really stylish and in a place that’s the largest gothic industrial night club in San Francisco, nobody batted an eye.

It made me wonder why skirt/dress fashions for men have never really been successful. I am not talking about kilts or the salaryman wearing a kilt with his business suit to embrace his Scottish heritage. There’s nothing wrong with that, but if a man wears a skirt or dress, it is softened under some kind of pretense or “excuse.” It could be drag/crossdressing intentionally, or as a statement of protest, or even a joke (such as “I lost a bet”).

Any thoughts as to why there aren’t more men wearing skirts and dresses? Are men too afraid to wear a skirt just because they want to? Is it more complex than coordinating colors, accessorizing, and choosing shoes? How would you react to seeing it on the street?
Reference material:
Victoria and Albert Museum: http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/men_in…

posted about 6 years ago
stephanista
Style_council
stephanista

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/50266/
god I love him

posted almost 6 years ago

tucaraespanta
Style_council
tucaraespanta

i think i will never get used to men in skirt. there are some cultures where men goes on skirts, but not in mine. for me is ok, but i can’t get used to. sorry

queenlazy
Style_council
queenlazy

I think the average man would definitely be scared of the reaction that it would get. I just don’t like the way skirts look on men, but I wouldn’t point and laugh at anyone, people should be allowed to wear what they like!
It’s funny how these things change over time though, historically men and women wore garments with skirts, and it just normal.

surlaplage
Style_council
surlaplage

i personally prefer my men in thin boxers.

posted over 5 years ago

BornXXY1970
New_user BornXXY1970 is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When BornXXY1970 reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
BornXXY1970

The question of whether a man will ever be able to add the wearing of a skirt into today’s wardrobe seems to me to involve two separate facets. The first is dealing with the male archetype, and the second form and function.

In looking to the first issue, it seems that the position of society to have a strong male role separate from that of female persists even as women have advance their position to exceed that (in many cases) of men. The freedom that women have in their wearing of bifurcated vs. wrapped garments has come after centuries of oppression by their male counterparts, and the fight to earn an equal place. The result has been anything but equal.

We now expect our male part of society to conform to a rigid standard, much as what we once expected of our female part. To be male today is to embody the essence of an aggressive and assertive spirit. Even a woman that expresses this character is somehow seen less as a woman in the feminine sense, and more as a modern interpretation. …This is right up until she puts on a skirt. This stronger image of a “woman” has taken a new life today, and is now more and more widely accepted in the western view.

Arguably, the skirt has maintained a woman’s ability to keep her femininity intact while she pursues what has been the areas belonging to men. This right has given rise to superiority in the sexes if nothing more than the freedom to be whom “she” wants to be, engage in or do whatever she wants and ultimately attain the position in life she desires.

Now we must admit to a basic fact. The style of what we wear is directly related to the function of what we are doing. In the case of construction, both men and women wear industry appropriate garments to provide a safe environment. In this case, you would be hard pressed to discern the difference between the sexes. In a business environment, when a woman’s suit involves a skirt, there is great attention to detail that goes into making this look attractive and appropriate. All too easily this look can diminish into something that would garner her unwanted attention. So having a pant suit again levels out the field so as to make men and women more the equal. Looking at this view, the skirt though highly comfortable and seemingly practical, becomes a disadvantage if someone was looking to be accepted based on their merits alone.

It seems highly unlikely that most men would be willing to go to the lengths necessary to make a skirt look right. Women know all the pain that is involved in making the right impression in a skirt. Male anatomy alone presents a problem in making for an nice appealing smooth look. The efforts here would take some engineering that men are not likely to take on. Then there is that thing with body hair. The image that we usually evoke when we think of a person wearing a nice fitting skirt typically draws to mind one of a nicely shaped form of smooth flesh and muscle running from hem line down to the ankles. Hairy legs are never part of that vision.

So with appropriateness applied, it would seem that at times in leisure or activity appropriate, there is nothing wrong with a male wearing a skirt. The real question is will society hang on to the last parts of an archaic idea where men are defined by the application of testosterone? Will men ever take on the challenge of improving their appearance and maintenance to a level so as to look healthy and attractive in such garment? And lastly, will designers continue to attempt to insert designs that will give a man the ability to relax and enjoy the comforts of a skirt while not having to succumb to the styles and patterns that clearly echo from floral and lace patterns of the female side of the department store?

Having been born XXY, and also having worked most of my life in heavy industry wearing heavy, hot, sticky and necessarily robust clothing, I certainly relish the idea of having this option.

…In my lifetime? We will see…

posted over 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

Thoughts? Constructs. If you feel comfortable with your own skin, you’d be comfortable with anything. :) I know it sounds ideal, but it’s attainable. :D

posted over 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

Plus it’s definitely not a taboo in Scotland! They wear kilts with pride!

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION