Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
leedaniel
Style_council
leedaniel

I was at “Death Guild” in San Francisco last week, and I saw several guys wearing long skirts. Some were styled with buckles, chains, pleats, torn fabrics, leather, plaid, and mesh. I thought it looked really stylish and in a place that’s the largest gothic industrial night club in San Francisco, nobody batted an eye.

It made me wonder why skirt/dress fashions for men have never really been successful. I am not talking about kilts or the salaryman wearing a kilt with his business suit to embrace his Scottish heritage. There’s nothing wrong with that, but if a man wears a skirt or dress, it is softened under some kind of pretense or “excuse.” It could be drag/crossdressing intentionally, or as a statement of protest, or even a joke (such as “I lost a bet”).

Any thoughts as to why there aren’t more men wearing skirts and dresses? Are men too afraid to wear a skirt just because they want to? Is it more complex than coordinating colors, accessorizing, and choosing shoes? How would you react to seeing it on the street?
Reference material:
Victoria and Albert Museum: http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/men_in…

posted almost 9 years ago
stephanista
Style_council
stephanista

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/50266/
god I love him

posted over 8 years ago

tucaraespanta
Style_council
tucaraespanta

i think i will never get used to men in skirt. there are some cultures where men goes on skirts, but not in mine. for me is ok, but i can’t get used to. sorry

posted over 8 years ago

queenlazy
Style_council
queenlazy

I think the average man would definitely be scared of the reaction that it would get. I just don’t like the way skirts look on men, but I wouldn’t point and laugh at anyone, people should be allowed to wear what they like!
It’s funny how these things change over time though, historically men and women wore garments with skirts, and it just normal.

posted over 8 years ago

surlaplage
Style_council
surlaplage

i personally prefer my men in thin boxers.

posted over 8 years ago

TopCat15
New_user TopCat15 is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When TopCat15 reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
TopCat15

It's time that we had 'gender neutral' fashion, so that both women and men can wear what they want to without fear of being ridiculed.  

I own a gorgeous collection of dresses and skirts, which are just so much more comfortable to wear than trousers - and in many ways wearing skirts and dresses is so much better for men's health. 

posted 9 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION