Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
vintagechick
Style_council
vintagechick

I think i spend too much. What do you feel is your take on your spending for things that you like, even if its not a need on need basis.

posted about 6 years ago
slight_ingenue
Style_council
slight_ingenue

i agree. even if its thrifty. you just end up buying more items instead of one or two. i was telling my mom the other day how expensive this fashion hobby of mine is. (le boo) i think i spend too much also. i think the best thing is to stick to timeless and classic pieces that will last you a little longer. sometimes i feel so ashamed and guilty for buying clothes. its a bitter sweet feeling going shopping

posted about 6 years ago

mopar
Style_council
mopar

Ooh, this is a very interesting question. My approach is to (1) stick to my own style and (2) stay ahead of the trends, not follow them. So, for example, I bought a vintage navy men’s blazer two years ago because I like tailored clothes and the color navy. It’s only just now getting trendy, so it has a longer shelf life than if I bought it after the trend started. I’m skipping vests because they never look good on me. Nonetheless, this certainly all costs more than wearing clothes only for functional reasons and buying them at church rummage sales and wearing them until they fall apart. I don’t really have that option because of my job. I’m pretty happy with my recession-chic fall wardrobe, most of which I got on the cheap at places like Etsy, consignment, and Forever21. I did mix in a dress and shirt from Steven Alan. Total cost: $1,000. If you are a student, though, you can stick to casual and vintage and sales and not spend more than $200 a season. It’s hard, though, especially for girls, and it adds up.

posted about 6 years ago

AmyK
Style_council
AmyK

I go shopping every weekend and 8 out of 10 times I would return with something. I spend maybe around $50-100 a weekend which is definitely a bit excessive. I’m trying to cut back a lot because my mom is starting to worry that I have a serious problem. But I think that it depends on what you are buying. When I’m buying shoes I wait for a holiday before I get it trying to take advantage of the sales instead of paying $150+ for the original.
I think though that for each season you should spend from $250-500. I know, it’s a bit much.

posted about 6 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Down with fashion! Down with the tyranny of fleeting fancies! Down with ephemeral revelations! Down with the bondage of trendiness! Style is dead, long live style! Viva la revolución!

posted about 6 years ago

queenlazy
Style_council
queenlazy

I can’t afford to spend much at all, so I try and buy one thing a month that I really want. I have a list of items that I think I need for my wardrobe and I stick to that as much as I can. Bargains still tempt me though, like the 2 vintage belts for £5 that I got last weekend!

posted about 6 years ago

rainelyn
Style_council
rainelyn

i seriously havent been spending much at all on clothes lately. seriously girls (and guys!), clean out those closets! at first it was kinda depressing not wearing new things but then it got really fun putting old things together, going to thrift stores, and diy-ing. the one thing that is KILLING me though is not feeding my shoe addiction haha.

posted about 6 years ago

queenlazy
Style_council
queenlazy

Yeah, I find a lot of nice stuff in Charity shops. You have to keep going in all the time though cos the good stuff goes quick!

posted about 6 years ago

chocofusion
Style_council
chocofusion

i don’t have time to actually go and get trendy stuff so i usually get them during end of season sales, mom’s old stuff (since fashion recycles) and diy.

posted about 6 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION