Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
whitedayburnday
Style_council
whitedayburnday

I mentioned on this in the ‘shape’ thread but I have a specific question so I thought I’d start a new one.
I am 125 lbs 5’5 and have an ass and thighs with muscular/curvy legs. I guess this is considered a ‘pear’ shape.. I was looking up tips for what to wear that will properly fit my shape because I have trouble finding good skirts/pants (I’ve never found pants that fit me in my life) and things that look good for this shape.. However all the results I got were not very helpful/my style.. I am into the masculine androgynous type clothing and Im not sure how to pull this off really as far as bottom half goes.. The web suggested stuff like flare jeans and wrap skirts and things but I am not into those at all.. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this type of shape.. if you have the same shape what sort of thing do you wear on the bottom? Are there any specific skirts that are comfortable/look nice? Any help is appreciated

posted almost 6 years ago
foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

i’ve got the same problem – unfortunately, it’s very difficult to pull off androgyny when your bottom half insists on being so feminine! As far as skirts go, i’ve found what best works for me are skirts with a bit of shape and structure to them – my favorite are high-waisted pencil skirts. They’re easy to take in at the waist if needed, and are pretty badass when paired with something simple like a tank or a pair of flat boots. Why fight the shape? Alternately, an a-line skirt (high waisted again works well, it highlights the middle and evens out everthing below) in a structured material (ie. not silk or chiffon but cotton, wool, or denim). As for pants, well i find well-cut trousers are a good investment – they should fit slim in the thigh and start getting wider where it hits the knee. It’s definitely a quest worth taking. I hope that helps!

whitedayburnday
Style_council
whitedayburnday

WHta do you wear with those types of pants? I dont wear heels really.. especially not to like school ; As for those types of skirts I’ve never really owned one.. I usually have a problem with things that go high rise on me and it just ends up making me feel fat/gross even if it’s not true. I think maybe I could get use to it though..Im willing to try

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

yeah i don’t really wear heels either (knee problems!) unless i really, really want to. I think if you found a part and hemmed them to wear with flats, it’d go great with a simple vintage almond-toe flat, or even wedge (like a cute wood-stacked one) for a more tailored, grown-up look. As for casually, well depending on the fabric of the slack you could go with a sandal, or a pair of oxfords might work, too. Haha i’ve been wondering that myself too, lately – with high waist full leg jeans coming back, what did chicks wear, for heaven’s sake? I have so many cute shoes that would be hidden!

New_user 6794 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 6794 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I’m a pear by definition, haha (My measurements are 33-28-39!). My style isn’t androgynous though, I tend to try and embrace my large hips by wearing things like very fitted skirts. I recommend high waisted pencil skirts. For your style I think shirts that are longer (maybe even things like mens dress shirts) that sort of drape over your hips will help make you look a little less…feminine, I guess? I also agree with mzui’s suggestion!

tiny_teesha
Style_council
tiny_teesha

I’ve got the same problem. Have you tried wide leg jeans? they are awesome. You have more height then me i think you can pull it off better then i can.
Also bubble skirts hide big thighs too. but that is if you are willing to show knees down- it is a bit dressy i’ll admit.
Maybe wear wedge heels, they are less dressy? I don’t know, i’m pretty hopeless with fashion myself!

tiny_teesha
Style_council
tiny_teesha

I also want to add, if they needed a pin up girl for pear, i’m sorry, but i WIN!
I have the most hugest waist down compared to any being on the planet (not in my head, it is a fact ) I took a photo of my profile and blacked it out, my hips are wider then my sholders and my sholders are not narrow necessarily. I’m really short (5 flat) and the pearness is just even more exaggerated by that. You can hide the hips by turning them side on in photos-which i tend to do, but i have the widest hips on earth! My legs and hips are the things i loathe! I wish to show them off and wear minis but I can’t pull them off, if i were a bit thinner i could see it working though. I’m trying to find someone as pear shaped as i am for inspiration because nothing fits or looks decent on me so i hope we can find out inspirational peeps!!! :) Goodluck!

stitchesandthreads
Style_council
stitchesandt...

I reckon I might be able to win a pear competition too! My waist and hip proportions are RIDICULOUSLY different: 31-26-38! Thanks for the dna mum! I am yet to find anyone the same for a touch of solidarity :) I have awful trouble with high waisted skirts (which I LOVE) because if they fit me round the bum they inevitably gape at my waist. This is an ongoing battle for me :(

MuffinTop
Style_council
MuffinTop

I’m a pear as well. Alternatively my mom calls it “flower vase”, haha. You should embrace the shape! It’s so spectacularly feminine. I remember seeing many old movie stars in black and white movies having that shape and they were damn sexy. What I try to do is to emphasis how small the waist is. You don’t have to wear feminine clothes to do that and it’s quite flattering. Something small on top that hugs your waist with wide legged pants underneath (like dress pants) can be quite nice in my own opinion. Play with the silhouettes.

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

i think for anyone, but especially those of us with the hourglass shape, it’s good to remember that tailoring clothes can be a good investment – it can save hours of frustrated shopping, and, in the end, money. especially if all it takes is to nip the waist of a skirt to make something work.

phantasy
Style_council
phantasy

I’ve found exercise can at least make the fat around your hips shrink. I do a lot of kicking exercises and it really got rid of the pear and made me more of an hourglass. Obviously the hip bones will stay the same, so it might not go down too much. Really pears have it awesome too though, sometimes I miss it. It is very feminine and sexy if you can dress it right. Go for loose tops and tight jeans. Skip belts, even if they are high-waisted, they’ll just chop up your figure.

weezy
Style_council
weezy

i found this site at instyle. com and mmmm i think it really works becuae u put ur measures and it tells u what bodytype u are.. coz sumtimes u just imagine ur one thing and u result on another.. i thought i was inverted triangle but im actually an hourglass… ha! funny huh!?
http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/lookyour…?xid=fab
i dont know how this works but u can cipy paste because im new haha sorry!

weezy
Style_council
weezy

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/lookyour…?xid=fab

verbosely
Style_council
verbosely

I’m a pear too and I just wanted to echo the suggestion of high-waisted wide-legs – I’m 5’7” and these are the only pants that fit me off the rack and are also flattering… so maybe try them? They also fit with your styile, I think.

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

military cargo pants perhaps.

posted almost 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

Don’t feel like you have to conform to certain styles because of your figure :) just be mindful of balancing proportions whatever you wear.
If you want to wear skinny jeans, wear them with knee-high boots with a slight (like 2.5 inch?) heel—I like traditional brown leather boots. + a shirt (not too long, but not short and tight) + blazer +scarf :)

akbay
Style_council
akbay

I’m a pear shape (though a bit taller than you). A size 4 on top and a size 8 on the bottom. I also like masculine androgynous type clothing; mainly classic tailored pieces. I found that adding a blazer jack to the top of a outfit can really even out the top-bottom like this

I also like wide legged pants for making the bottom uniformally wide rather than just wide across the hips like this
and this.

If you are willing to go less androgynous a A-line skirt/dress is the way to go. Vintage/thrift stores can be a great place to find these.
Vintage 1940s A-line dress
Vintage 1960s A-line dress
A-line skirt
I hope these give you some ideas.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION