Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
RoswellVixen
Style_council
RoswellVixen

so i just recently noticed something while browsing the People section of the style gallery… on THIS post, Cheri commented saying that chictopia DOES NOT ALLOW watermarks on photos… now this kind of makes me a little curious as to WHY such a rule would be imposed? (and unknown to most of us im sure) i mean, we’ve had quite a few impostor chictopians on here stealing photos and you would think having watermarks would be allowed so that the REAL people in the photos can show that it is indeed THEM and to shoo off all the impostors. i understand that chictopia may not want people “advertising” their blogs all over but i think it should be allowed for people to use water marks. i mean how many of these unknown rules are there? im getting a little irritated because something like that makes me wonder just what the deal about it could be considering the watermarks wouldnt hurt chictopia in any way…

what are your opinions on this?

posted almost 4 years ago
magali
Style_council
magali

I used to support watermarks earlier. But now I just think they look cheesy! If you have someone stealing your pics I’m sure you can bring it to Cheri’s notice & she will do something about it.

RoswellVixen
Style_council
RoswellVixen

the problem is that most people dont notice right away. and what if they steal the pictures from chictopia and use them somewhere else? cheri cant do anything about it then because its on another site. you get what im saying? now. i mean i have only done the watermarks a few times because im too lazy too do it to all my pictures but for those people who are like big on here and have popular blogs and whatnot, they are the ones who would benefit from the watermarks the most because theyre more likely to be targeted for the stealing of photos. idk, i just think that it should be a choice of the uploader because without the people uploading, there would be no chictopia and im sure that if people repeatedly had photo stealers theyd stop using the site.

magali
Style_council
magali

I guess if it’s subtle & contains a name (not a url) Cheri wouldn’t mind. Obviously not sure though.

SaffronHaze
Style_council
SaffronHaze

That’s so interesting! I never knew that before and I watermark all my photos (just out of pride and recognition more than anything) but it’s never been brought up to me. Maybe it’s because it’s placed over the body of the photo or because it contains a URL? I’d love some clarification too!

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

if it’s just a name, it should be allowed just to protect your photos from being stolen.

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Wow! How strange. I’ve never noticed that you weren’t allowed to watermark your photos! In the past I did watermark a few of my photos, this was because a girl from this site found my chictopia and my blog and basically stole all my blog posts and pretended it was her on her own blog. D: It was a total coincidence that I found out too!! But I stopped because it was annoying to have to do and i didn’t like how it looked on my photos.
I agree that watermarking would help to stop photos being stolen, especially from bloggers who are more popular.
Maybe it was because the watermark was right in the centre of the photo and so might distract from the outfit, and makes the blog url ‘advertising’ more obvious. I think watermarks should be allowed, but maybe if they are put in a more inconspicuous place, not right in the middle of the photo.

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

I agree, we should be able to use watermarks on our photos, but what i should do with the photos of a friend o mine? Because i post some photos of an old friend on my chicblog and IF watermarks were allowed should i put my OWN watermark on my friends photo too?

RoswellVixen
Style_council
RoswellVixen

id say that if YOU took the photos of her (as in were the person taking the picture with the camera) then put YOUR watermark otherwise put her own if you can or just leave it be.

angiekje
Style_council
angiekje

I agree that it might be because it’s on the center of the image… have seen tons of pictures with watermarks… don’t remember if they were in the style gallery, but I know SaffronHaze is in there often, so…

I agree about the pictures that could be stolen, it’s a sort of protection… don’t know why it’s not allowed (never did it myself)

Jazza
Style_council
Jazza

I think it should be allowed purely for protection!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION