Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
londondude
Style_council
londondude

HI everyone, hope you are all fine and enjoying a nice evening and perhaps a glass (or bottle) of wine…

I would consider myself to be rather orginal and quirky in my dress sense. I have been loving the whole preppy look for a while. Chinos, shirt and skinny tie, blazer etc. I have felt very comfortable and enjoy wearing that style for some time. I have recently brought a dark – black kilt with faint tartan design. Now I plan on wearing it perhaps in a rather everyday scenario. So I would like to tone it down, perhaps with plain white shirt and a v neck cashmere, either burgundy or navy blue.

What do you guys think? And what is your opinion of kilts? My girlfriend thinks I am slightly mad, but she loves the sight of me in it!!

Appreciate any serious answers

Thanks x

posted over 4 years ago
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

Welcome to chictopia! I think of you like the kilt and feel comfortable wearing it, go for it =]

posted over 4 years ago

Jazza
Style_council
Jazza

Welcome!

posted over 4 years ago

irisanddaniel
Style_icon
irisanddaniel

LOVE kilts. I think any sort of blurring of the gender lines while still keeping it in a wearable way that looks “society appropriate” (although I say just wear whatever you want) is so interesting and great.

I think wearing it with button ups and blazers would work well, especially if they are of a more preppy style, mixing navy blues with the black of the kilt. If you are dressing it down keep all of your items (except neutrals) along the same tone of color, so darks.. I agree with your burgundy or navy blue ideas.

Also, try covering your legs with either wearing pants under at the same time, or tights.. I think this would dress it down as well and make it less shocking but only on occasion because it seems that you want the kilt to be a more standout piece, while keeping it wearable.

posted over 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

haha i remember when i used to swordfight all the guys wore kilts. if it looks good, work it! i’d love to see a picture of your style

posted over 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

If you’re comfortable wearing it and you think you look good then go for it! I like it when guys challenge the norms in terms of dress :) Unfortunately I think you will probably still get looks and stares… :( I agree with irisanddaniel about maybe trying to wear pants underneath, I think that would dress it down. Let us know how you end up styling it!

posted over 4 years ago

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

welcome to Chictopia~ just wear what you think is the most comfortable with you. :)

htto://carizzachua.blogspot.com

www.mysparkleshop.com

posted over 4 years ago

FrivolousDistinction
Style_council
FrivolousDis...

I live in Scotland, so kilts are completely normal to me. I see them all the time, I love them and I love it when my partner wears his. Guys wear them to black-tie occasions with brogues, socks and flashes, sporran, Argyle or Prince Charlie jacket, dress shirt etc. I often see people wearing less traditional ones, e.g. solid black, or their traditional kilt with an ordinary shirt/T-shirt/sweater for a night out. The combinations you suggested sound great and if you wanted to dress up you could wear a shorter fitted suit jacket with the white T-shirt. I also really like chunky boots worn with kilts. Google Howie Nicholsby – he’s a kilt designer here in Edinburgh on a one-man mission to reclaim the kilt as everyday wear and he has loads of styling ideas.

I do think there’s something pretentious about anyone who isn’t either from here (or any Celtic country) or has lived here for a long time wearing a tartan kilt, because obviously your tartan depends on your clan. I find randomly choosing one you have no connection to is a bit wannabe-ish. (Plus “proper” tartan kilts cost hundreds of £ and are made to measure, so why would you go to that trouble unless the tartan was meaningful to you?) But yours is mostly black with a nod to tartan, and a style statement rather than a statement of belonging to a particular clan, so I doubt it would offend anyone. In Scotland, some people are very sensitive about English guys wearing kilts, for obvious political reasons.

I’ve never seen anyone wearing trousers underneath a kilt – I know I have a different perspective coming from a place where kilts are ordinary and acceptable, but I would stare far more at a man wearing trousers or tights underneath. I think that would ruin it, personally, although as part of a grungy look could be great. It doesn’t sound like that’s really you, though. Kilts look fantastic as they are. They’re knee-length, so you won’t be showing any more leg than you would in shorts! It may take some bravery to wear it in London, but less so there than a lot of places (outside Scotland/Ireland/Wales). I say just wear and enjoy it. Every man I know loves wearing one.

posted over 4 years ago

mackenziemagic
Style_council
mackenziemagic

I wouldn’t let my boyfriend wear it, but if you feel comfortable in it, then go for it! But, I’m a bit more casual than most of the users on here, so it’s kinda just my opinion (:

posted over 4 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

If you like it, wear it! Sure, it may seem a little strange, but that’s what makes you unique and who you are Lol You should go over to the Utilikilt store, I went there and the guy gave me a whole list of reasons kilts kick butt. I just can’t remember any Aha

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION