Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
saintlillium
Style_council
saintlillium

A friend and I were discussing Chictopia the other day and the topic of expensive pieces came up. The majority of Chictopians are in their early 20s or younger, are in school, and maybe even working on the side. My friend feels that in most cases the people who have these expensive items are probably wealthy and their parents just dish out money to them willy-nilly because their child couldn’t possibly wear anything that wasn’t fashionable. My stance is that a lot of you are probably good savers and put a little to the side for yourselves every so often so when something nice does come along, you can get it with no problem.

So the question is, for the Chictopians that have several expensive pieces in their wardrobe, how did you get the money to acquire them?

posted about 5 years ago
SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

First, you used the term “willy-nilly”, which I think is awesome. :D

I’m in my mid-twenties, working full-time at a law firm. I pretty much stash away $100/month of my direct deposit into my savings account. I don’t save for anything in particular, but it’s nice to have a cushion.

Also, I rarely pay full retail price for anything. Thrift stores, Ebay and vintage sellers on Etsy are a few of my frugal favorites. I just snapped up a pair of brown J. Crew Glenbrae boots for $65 (they’re normally $300) on Ebay. And groups like Gilt and Hautelook are pretty spiffy for high-end designer stuff heavily discounted.

I totally understand what you and your friend are talking about. I’ve seen some Chicblogs with extensive entries chock full of designer items, and the user is often an age that still necessitates living with and being entirely financially supported by their parents. I don’t know if it’s big allowances or the fact that they don’t have to worry about things like rent/mortgage, car payments, insurance, etc, or perhaps a combination of the two.

posted about 5 years ago

Tho
Style_council
Tho

Haha, I’m still in high school with no job.
But I LOVE buying expensive branded items…though, I never seem to wear them… :P
The way I acquire the money is called a process of “begging the parentals”. :]
Or I would always find some chore to do and tell my parents I worked hard and that I deserved it (which doesn’t work most the time). - Haha.

posted about 5 years ago

flattery
Style_icon
flattery

I’ve had a job since grade 10, working 3-5 times a week during the summer and 1-3 times a week during school. I am good at saving plus I don’t buy expensive clothing often, I’ve never spent more than 100 bucks on anything other than a jacket. Also, for university, my university is about 4500 dollars a year, and this year is paid for by scholarships and after that my parents are paying for my education :). I don’t get money for clothing from them though, sometimes my mom comes home with a present though!

posted about 5 years ago

antebellum
Style_council
antebellum

“because their child couldn’t possibly wear anything that wasn’t fashionable.”

That’s unnecessarily condescending.

posted about 5 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

I’ve never spent more than $100 on an item, so I’m not sure I qualify on an owner of “expensive items…” But that is expensive for me! Anyway, the way I afford what I do spend in my wardrobe is budgeting. I don’t eat out, go to movies often, and I don’t even usually buy magazines (I visit the library).
I’m also with SpammishRice; I’ve bought a couple of items that normally would cost a lot through eBay or recently Gilt, for cheap.

posted about 5 years ago

saintlillium
Style_council
saintlillium

@Antebellum: That’s how my friend phrased it. It isn’t my thought.

posted about 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

The few designer things that I have are either presents for my birthday and christmas or heavily discounted stuff from TK Maxx.

posted about 5 years ago

elizabethmd
Style_council
elizabethmd

I am in high school with no job, as well. My parents are my income, but I only really spend for a real reason (formals, holidays, parties) when it comes to clothes. My parents have to entertain a lot, so I kind of have to dress up a lot. So they’ve bought me a few expensive peices that will last me a very long long time, but I usually would just but more cheaper things. I mean, I personally would rather have many cheaper clothes than just several high end pieces.

I think for my parents, it’s a case-by-case basis. Because they pay for everything for me, since they don’t want me working whilst I’m in school. But when I get a summer job, this will probably all drastically change. :/

posted about 5 years ago

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

Good lord, 14? If I remember what I was taught back when I started working, I’m pretty sure anyone under 16 isn’t allowed to work more than 3 hours per day, 18 hours per week, and only between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. And it was very, very rare for an employer to hire someone who had very strict laws limiting their employment like that, so most kids didn’t start work until 16. Not to mention, in this market, ANYONE is lucky to still have a job. You’re very lucky! Your parents must be proud. :)

posted about 5 years ago

cloedi
Style_council
cloedi

well i usually buy clothes which i can combinate with many many many things. of course sometimes i buy something which is quiet difficult to combinate and these pieces often are the most expensive one .
at the moment i during a apprenticeship so i have a litte more money just for me (i’m still living at my partens home and i don’t have to pay anything fpr my foot)
nevertheless i’m still wondering how a young school student without any job is able to accomplish expensive designer clothes.

posted about 5 years ago

jetaime
Style_council
jetaime

i don’t really go shopping much and i prefer charity shops, vintage and cheap basics. designer clothes are gorgeous but the idea of buying clothes for their label does not appeal to me. i am a sixteen year old student and i am also a self employed photographer, so i don’t really have money to spare, and if i did, i probably wouldn’t shop any differently to the way i do now :)

posted about 5 years ago

gwozdzy
Style_council
gwozdzy

im sixteen and only have a summer job. my parents will buy me clothes but usually i feel bad about it. The only time I splurge is on pants (like joes or seven jeans) but even then, i buy them at outlet stores. I mostly get skirts at forever21 because theyre under $30, and then most of my tops are from target, sales at gap, or salvation army/ st vincents.

posted about 5 years ago

_megee
Style_council
_megee

I don’t see the point of buying something just because its designer, when you can find things just as nice much cheaper!! The only thing I might go all must-have designer is Converse, because the knock-off never look as good!!

Anyway, I just try to re-vamp old clothes, or things from op shops. I’ll buy things like basic tees, and buy jackets, handbags etc, in black, so they I can wear them with every outfit, without them clashing!

posted about 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Make sure that your eyes aren’t bigger than your mouth (I’m sure there’s a way of making the metaphor a bit more fashion/consumerism-oriented, but I can’t be bothered). If you can afford nice things, then buy nice things. If you can’t, then get creative. In the long run, people with good taste realize that it’s about how well you can put things together, not how much debt you can amass for one bag or outfit.

posted about 5 years ago

TLDANG
Style_council
TLDANG

I try not to buy designer things all the time but when I see something that I am in love with I’ll buy it. I’ve been obsessed with Gucci hand bags so I get what I like. If u got the money why not.

posted about 5 years ago

caffeinerush
Style_council
caffeinerush

I have had a weekend job since I turned 14. I get paid £4.50 an hour and don’t normally spend my wages on myself. In fact, the majority of the money I earn goes straight into my savings account, but I leave some aside if I need to buy presents for friends (at the moment I’m keeping all of my wages to save up for Christmas presents). I consider myself lucky because my parents pay for the roof over my head, food and drink, school equipment, piano lessons, guitar lessons, riding lessons, school fees and school trips. I do rely on my parents, but I do my bit around the house with chores etc and strive to achieve top marks in my classes at school. If my parents weren’t about, I wouldn’t have the privilege of being able to attend the school I currently attend, so I’m very grateful.
However, if I want to go out with friends then I have to pay for the day out myself. My parents pay for my clothing “essentials” (which can normally be quite a lot of things), but if I want to indulge in anything I don’t really need, I buy it myself. I tend not to buy expensive things, though. I love vintage and charity shops, and the occasional cheap thrill from the high street. My sister is a terrible brat. She does not have a weekend job; she doesn’t help around the house; she only wears designer (in public, anyway) labels, and thinks she is above everybody because she has money behind her. I don’t ever want to be like my sister.

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION