Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
thecynic
Style_council
thecynic

This may be a question for Cheri, I don’t know how to change my username. I signed up as thecynic because my friends often say that I look at things rather critically, and have a sarcastic sense of humor. I’m not cynical of Chictopia.
Having critically examined this site for a few months, I’ve grown to really appreciate the people and this site’s mission.
I just want to call out a few of my favorite things
- It’s open to everyone. I’m not pretty or thin, and have never taken great photos of myself, but I feel like I can still contribute to this fashion community.
- People are intelligent. There are deep conversations going on in the forum and in blog posts. I like it when bloggers take the time to write something.
- Polls are pretty funny.
- Chic reward. Although I still have to work on my style to get more points. One of these days. I’m hopeful.

Sometimes the fashion industry makes you feel like unless you have the right connections, you can never make it there. The current big fashion blogs make you feel like unless you are pretty with long legs, your point of view will never matter. I ‘m the editor of my school’s newspaper and I hope to have a career in fashion. I like that Chictopia makes me feel like I have a shot.

posted over 5 years ago
aranell
Style_icon
aranell

Great thread!
I completely agree! Before I found Chictopia I played a little on Weardrobe and Lookbook but I just didn’t like either very much. There’s something very different about this place – it has a real sense of community and the styles and people are much more varied and interesting. There’s never a day when I don’t log in and fall in love with something someone is wearing, and I’ve been blown away by people’s understanding of my own style and outfits.
I lovelovelove the lack of bitchiness here too… I’ve seen people ripped to pieces on other fashion communities, but there’s a great attitude here that being yourself is the best thing to do.
A big thank you to everyone working to make this place happen <3

posted over 5 years ago

YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

Great thread and words :) Love and agree with everything said by thecynic and aranell :D I also feel quite good here on Chictopia! :)

I laughed while reading “I’ve seen people ripped to pieces on other fashion communities” LOL Thank God here’s not the case :)

posted over 5 years ago

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

LOL @ aranell’s quote “I’ve seen people ripped to pieces on other fashion communities.” Chictopia is definitely something special. There is this community where people are so pretentious. I mean both Chictopia and that other community have different things to offer but Chictopia is giant pool of inspirations where not only you can post your photos but also post through, inspiration, stylebook, and chichaves to ultimately discuss your take on fashion. That’s what I love the most about it too. It’s because not only you challenge a dominant view on certain brands, and trends but also it becomes an exchange of information. I just love that!

posted over 5 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Yay I love chictopia too!! I also love the variety of styles here, and of course the different people and the different shapes they are… :)
And I love the community here! Most people here are so friendly and really genuine.
I’ve been on here about 6 months and I’ve only had one mean comment from one user on this site (and I checked her blog and i’ve noticed she has made several snarky comments to other users so anyway I think this is the exception :P )

Anyway I really appreciate how open and welcoming this site is :D

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Haha I’ve never had any mean comments – so big YAY for that! =D Actually I don’t think I’ve come across mean comments very often at all – people here seem to stick to the policy – if you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all… or they give some constructive criticism, which is helpful. :) I prefer Chictopia over Weardrobe (the only other fashion community I’ve tried), because it seems to be less.. well… dead, here. Even though ChicPoints is quite a controversial issue because some people believe that people give useless/spammy comments and posts just to increase their ChicPoints count, I gotta say it’s a good incentive for people to be more active on this community. Plus there’s a forum here and reviews and a style gallery of new outfits that changes pretty regularly, so it’s a nice place for swapping ideas, advice and inspiration.

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

agreed. this is by far my favorite style networking site. very genuine and fun. i think i can easily credit the chictopia community for helping me to improve my style on a daily basis! hooray! ;)

posted over 5 years ago

kl08
Style_council
kl08

I have been searching for a great place for a while and when I found chictopia, I loved it. So true, the people are kind and welcome everyone. Other sites I have found are rude, excluding and disrespectful. Anyway, can’t wait to chat more.

posted over 5 years ago

summerkay
Style_council
summerkay

I’ve noticed a difference between Chictopia and other style sites too. On other sites, they’re either all stuck up (coughLookbookcough), never comment (coughWeardrobecough), or are just there for the wrong reasons (coughLookbookandWeardrobecough). Chictopia kinda feels like one big family. Even though I don’t know anyone on this site personally, I still feel like I’m getting comments from friends. People here are actually willing to interact with each other instead of just ‘post and run,’ and I think it’s really important to get feedback if you’re just starting out and trying to find your style.

posted over 5 years ago

banaANAS
Style_council
banaANAS

i agree very much.
i would browse the internet looking for fashion advise, and new ways to try things, … INSPIRATION, and when i bumped into chictopia i was like a little kid with a new toy i was so exited to see how cool and relaxed the people seemed, and of course fashionable, they give you feedback and suggestions, its by far my favorite fashion community :) there is so many fashionable people here andi love to express myself through here :)

posted over 5 years ago

RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

I joined Chicptopia because of all the nice people. I also felt weird about joining Lookbook, because it came off as snobby, like what summerkay wrote.
I enjoy all my feedback and I always give back comments and shout outs to other users.

posted over 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I agree with everyone else that chictopia has a sense of community that a lot of other fashion sites don’t. Also I like that everyone and anyone has a chance to shine here. There’s so many invite only communities out there so it’s great to have one that lets everyone join and have fun.

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Yeah, with lookbook, even though I do find the members’ outfits inspiring, I just felt so… stupid… when I realised that to join, I had to fill out a whole application composed of questions such as “What can you add to the lookbook community?” I mean, kudos to anyone who actually is on lookbook, I know it’s a very exclusive community, but to me, it felt like it took itself too seriously.

posted over 5 years ago

maddiejayy
Style_council
maddiejayy

I agree, I feel like Chictopica is a much more open and accepting site than lookbook. I get a lot more responses here than I do on lookbook. People are so much kinder here.

posted almost 3 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

this is really such a fun and kind website!i have never been put down!

posted almost 3 years ago

nnoemi
Style_council
nnoemi

Me too!

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION