Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
girlygirl
Style_council
girlygirl

I seriously never know how to dress in the winter time. I am always either dressed too warm, too cold, or not stylish enough. Does anyone have any fashion tips?
I was shopping around on this site where it shows you how the celebs are dressings but I don’t know if I can pull it off.
Does anyone like this type of outfit, maybe paired with a funky scarf? http://meetthefamous.com/celebrity-closet/fashi…
HELP please!

posted over 5 years ago
TheEchosAnswer
Style_council
TheEchosAnswer

The link took me to a page with a black lace, corset top dress….I am guessing you don’t mean that for everyday?
I personally like winter, because it makes more sense to layer, which allows for more creativity IMO. In the summer, it gets so hot I don’t want to wear much :P.
I think boots and scarves are fun to play with in winter. Tights and leggings can bee fun in all different colors and prints. There’s sooo many options for winter.
For evening, I think a long coat would look really nice over a little dress. Winter white, or maybe some kind of retro cape could make it more fun. I just bought this gold trench type of coat…it’s not super warm, but then I live in California :D

posted over 5 years ago

chocofusion
Style_council
chocofusion

hey,
i’m from canada and i have the same problem. OrangeAppled has a good point, i’ve never been to california but i’ve been to south carolina in the winter, it is way warmer than canada.
in the cold canadian weather: so for pants, you can wear skinny jeans or any type of pants you like with “thermal long johns” or leggings underneath. if you don’t walk in the snow, you don’t need thick boots, just stylish leather cowboy boots or ankle boots, doc marten is enough.
don’t wear thin trench coats unless it’s like 5 cm of wool, ski jackets or anything waterproof with feather!. for indoors, wear whatever you like, it is usually over heated in most buildings.

posted over 5 years ago

New_user 20591 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 20591 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I would respectfully disagree with chocofusion that it’s usually over heated in most buildings… I’m also in Canada and am almost always cold in the winter, unless I’m really bundled up in thick warm sweaters. The university I go to certainly doesn’t overheat its buildings!
A few things I would suggest you invest in: a good pair of flat winter boots that you can wear socks in; a good warm coat; hat and mittens. That covers the outdoors, really.
As for indoors, the second I get inside after coming from outside, I always get really warm, so it’s important to layer. If you want to wear something like what you linked to, make sure you have a warm cardigan or blazer to go with it, so you can shed both your coat and the cardigan until you cool down, but still have something to wear when you get cold. Also, keeping your feet warm will do a lot to help the rest of you feel warm. And, layer especially around your vital organs, ie, your torso. I’m still testing this out, but I think that if you keep the core of your body warm, your body can send excess warmth out to your extremities, ie, your fingers.
Hope this helps!

posted over 5 years ago

rowena_jordana
Style_council
rowena_jordana

I feel this topic. Here in holland we have a (cold) sea climate. What means this cold is nasty and chilly. Not every building, train, tram or whatever is over-heated…
with other words.. i hate it. I hate it so much that i wish a skipant was wearable at the streets..

posted over 5 years ago

jetaime
Style_council
jetaime

winter style, just add woolen tights! :D

posted over 5 years ago

rowena_jordana
Style_council
rowena_jordana

in real cold, it’s not enough.. :(

posted over 5 years ago

whatswithamy
Style_icon
whatswithamy

I know layering is great in the winter. But it’s really not as easy as it sounds. I mean, I have tons of things to layer, but it’s just not enough to keep me warm. So I end up wearing an oversized black jacket that’s just too gothic looking. I think a really warm, really stylish coat that you love is the biggest essential part of winter, because no matter what you are wearing you will always have the coat to stay stylish, and most importantly stay warm.

I think it’s great to stock up on different coats too. I’ve been to the mall a few times and they always have fantastic coat sales! Oh, and always have a black coat, goes with everything :)

posted over 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

If you are facing serious cold, wear long underwear. You can add pretty much anything else on top to cover it up.

posted over 5 years ago

jehovahsfitness
Style_council
jehovahsfitness

Man, I WISH wearing wool tights would be enough to keep me from freezing to death in the winter.

The best thing you can do is layer. Get some thin long underwear to put on under your jeans, and wear a t shirt and/or tank top under your regular shirt. Wear thicker socks. Wear mittens, not gloves, and have a cute hat that covers your ears. That’s about all you can do :(

posted over 5 years ago

backseat5am
Style_council
backseat5am

I wish I knew. It ticks me off seeing winter layering tips with celebs in LA dressed in coats.

posted over 5 years ago

RadioCure
Style_council
RadioCure

As much as I love layering, Canadian winters are way too cold for me.
I always get the feeling that I’m confined to jeans for winter, but skirts/dresses can be worn without freezing.
If you can find the right pair, long johns can be worn as tights. I have friends who rock waffle long johns with skirts and boots.
Oh, and lots of socks. Wool socks especially. Layering socks can make chic unlined boots just as warm as winter boots.

posted over 5 years ago

frenchieee
Style_council
frenchieee

Invest in a circle scarf. haha.

posted over 5 years ago

Cad
Style_council
Cad

I love dressing up in the winter, I have much more winter cloths than sumemr clothes. I us an big wool jumper as dress, black tights, wool stockings and a scarf. And sometimes a hat or something.
But I often use some wool undeneat the tights on very cold days.
And on to I always use my leather jacket to block out the wind.

The key word for the winter is wool!

posted over 5 years ago

queenelizabeth
Style_icon
queenelizabeth

I wear 2 or 3 pairs of tights when it gets cold, or I wear a pair of really warm lycra leggings (they’re made for running outdoors) and they keep my legs from freezing.

posted over 5 years ago

rowena_jordana
Style_council
rowena_jordana

i think warm feet is the answer.

posted over 5 years ago

keely5
Style_council
keely5

capes = cool
i have been drooling over the sweet ones at nasty girl
http://www.shopnastygal.com/

posted over 5 years ago

veer
Style_council
veer

I am always warmer when I wear lots of shirts than when I wear one thick sweater.

posted over 5 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

My idea of winter clothes is layer—layer tights, dresses, sweaters, etc.
Also, accept the fact that you will be cold and just try to lessen how cold.
I have poor circulation (TMI?) so I will always have cold/purple hands and feet—it really doesn’t matter what I do—so I’ve stopped trying to be “warm” and started trying to just not be miserable and lose a toe…
Also: hats. Most of your body heat escapes through your head, so put something on top of that sucker!

posted over 5 years ago

SingForAbsolution
Style_council
SingForAbsol...

I don’t know if you’re into it, but faux fur coats! I just got one at a thrift store, man those things are warm, and I get so many compliments on it.

posted over 5 years ago

adrienneee
Style_council
adrienneee

Tights, coats, & boots!

posted over 5 years ago

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

burrrr
i know! i always have the same problem.
but i tend to sacrifice warmth over looking good.
though i do live in california so i cant really complain…right?

posted over 5 years ago

Idhren
Style_council
Idhren

I go for layers of thin and thick wool clothing. Also a few pairs of woolen tights should do the trick, Falke has some nice merino wool ones that are supposed to work like a miracle when put two layers together. My own trick of the season is over the knee boots. They keep my legs warm and allow me to use a bit thinner things over my legs. I would also suggest that you invest in a quality cardigan with good materials (wool, cashmire, what ever suits you) and a great finish. If you pick something simple and neutral enough, there isn’t an outfit that you could not use your cardigan with.

Speaking from the North, Finland. Kudos.

posted over 5 years ago

Idhren
Style_council
Idhren

Oh, and the point about wool layers is that the air that gets trapped between the layers isolates the cold air from the warm, keeping you safe and sound and the cold on the outside. Skiiers in Finland use this trick all the time ;)

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION