Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
LadyLuna
Style_council
LadyLuna

I’m one of those people that follows a very natural looking makeup routine. I cover up blemishes and embellish my eyes a bit, but I never go overboard. I want to look like me. Still, there have been people who tell me that I wear more than they would choose to wear on my face. What do you think?

posted almost 5 years ago
Markiza
Style_council
Markiza

I passed by your blog and cannot say that you use too much of make up. Black eyes are great =) Maybe people who tell you that you wear too much of make up are just jealous since they do not dare do the same.

luceeroberts
Style_council
luceeroberts

when you resemble a satsuma that got punched in the eyes, then you know that’s too much make-up.

WonderAve
Style_council
WonderAve

When you look like a clown, or a panda.

I think most people are afraid to go out of their comfort zone (esp when it comes to makeup, even more so than fashion). Most natural makeup wearers (browns, earthy tones) wont try bright colors and people who like the more dramatic look feel too naked with a natural look. I prefer an in between look day to day, dramatic if i’m going out, and natural for family gatherings.

xvavavava
Style_council
xvavavava

“too much” really depends on your style and the situation you’re in.

day-to-day i will wear tinted moisturizer (got that SPF!) as well as brown eyeliner or some neutral eyeshadow and blush..going out, i’ll go with dramatic eye makeup (smoky eye, etc) and red tinted lipgloss.

i don’t feel uncomfortable if i don’t wear makeup-it really doesn’t matter that much to me. but if i were going to class with a smoky eye or something then i think that would be a bit much.

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I agree with xvavavava that it’s a really subjective question. There are many factors:

Age. When you’re younger, it’s easier to wear “too much.” While a mature woman may need extra coverage, full foundation on anyone under 16 usually looks like too much. Middle-schoolers with eyeshadow, mascara, and matte lipstick usually just look trashy, but the same look on a 25-year-old would look totally appropriate.

Style. You can get away with crazy over-the-top ‘80s makeup if you’re wearing a crazy over-the-top ‘80s outfit and give off a funky ’80s vibe. Not so much if you’re a quiet, conservative dresser.

Balance. Unless you’re in theater or on a runway, you don’t need drama on both the eyes and the mouth at once.

Features. If you have a really dramatic feature, there is such a thing as calling too much attention to it. For instance, Angelina Jolie does not need to wear bright red lipstick for us to notice her lips— especially if she’s just wandering around running errands. Which leads me to my next point . . .

Occasion. This is is the most important. There is a big difference between a “day” look for work and “night” look for a club or bar. There is a different between working in an artistic field and a traditional field. There is a difference between wandering the mall and work, a family Christmas party and a youthful NYE party . . . You get the idea. There are makeup standards for different circumstances.

Keep in mind that there are some people who think ANY makeup is too much— they shun makeup for religious/cultural reasons or want to fight it as a political thing, saying that makeup subjects females or is a manifestation of a shallow, image-obsessed society they want nothing to do with. If they can even tell you’re wearing it, it’s too much. Conversely, there are people who will always think you need more makeup; I’ve heard of employers who will automatically cut people out of interviews for not wearing enough makeup because they think it means they’re lazy and not interested in making a good impression. You can’t please everyone. So when all is said and done, it’s most about what you feel is a good amount and makes you comfortable to wear.

Personally, LadyLuna, from your blog I think your makeup looks fine. Yes, you can tell you wear it, but it’s flattering to your coloring and style. You may just be encountering some people who are very anti-makeup in general, or much more minimalist.

LadyLuna
Style_council
LadyLuna

Nice, I’m liking the feedback. I really do agree with all of your comments. Age and occasion are really the most important things to consider. And thanks for your compliments about my own makeup! :)

REPLY TO DISCUSSION