Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
shao
Style_council
shao

So, after trying to throw out stuff and give away to goodwill and STILL not having enough space in my closet, I’m thinking I need to take a little break from buying things…Its hard though, as I usually buy something small at least once every two weeks, a sweater…a pair of shoes…a necklace…something!
But now I have simply run out of room, everything I have I want to keep, and should really just think of new ways to remix instead of buying new.

I want to try a two month hiatus from ANYTHING new.

How long have you gone without buying anything fashion related? Was it hard? Did you cheat a little? and Why did you choose to do it?

posted over 4 years ago
Cinta
Style_council
Cinta

I do that every 3/4 months.
I had realized I had a lot of clothes that I didn’t wear. So what I do is wear them for a few months.. then once I think I have a good amount of money saved. I give them away and go on a shopping spree.

posted over 4 years ago

GoXtina
Style_council
GoXtina

I had a month shopping ban… It felt good afterward and it helps me figure out what I want.

posted over 4 years ago

Averleigh
Style_council
Averleigh

The longest I’ve gone without buying anything was 4 months! It drove me crazy because I always would look online at all the new styles the stores had and thought “I have to have this!!” But I resisted buying anything. I did it because my mom got angry at me because I would always buy new things so often. She gave me a whole lecture about money and talked about how selfish I was (I am not! =[) So I wanted to show her that I actually could go without shopping. Then at the end I gave myself a huge shopping spree, haha!

posted over 4 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I don’t think I’ve gone more than week without buying something in the past 5 years. With the amount of clothes I have I could easily have a walk in wardrobe lol. I just don’t have the willpower to stop myself from buying something if I like it, even if it means spending money that should be saved for emergencies.

Why don’t you try clothes swapping instead of buying new things. Like trade a few things of yours with friends for a few things of theirs, then it feels like you’ve got new stuff because you haven’t worn them before, but you don’t have to spend a penny. Then when you’re bored of their stuff and they’re bored of yours you can swap back.

posted over 4 years ago

JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

I think I’ve gone a good four months without buying anything. I actually have a very small collection of clothes compared to other chictopians. I don’t think dressing well is necessarily about owning every new trend item.

posted over 4 years ago

cultureshock
Style_council
cultureshock

I go through phases, like around the spring time i dont buy that much because im not into hot weather fashions as much as fall and winter. I think my record is a month without buying anything fashion related.

posted over 4 years ago

taralily
Style_council
taralily

More than a good few months. When I’m away at college, I rarely go shopping for clothes and such.

I’ve bought a good amount of things this summer, and am beginning my break from shopping soon.

I agree with Jukilove, I don’t need to buy every single trend or what each person thinks is a “necessity” item. I follow my own rules with fashion, and that has made me the happiest. :)

posted over 4 years ago

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

Not including the replacement of non-fashion socks and underwear, probably a year, maybe more.

I typically only buy clothes or shoes twice a year: once at christmas and once in the summer (like right now), both times usually with gift money.

Really the only time I break that is
(1) to replace something that’s become damaged/unwearable
(2) if I’ve gained so much weight that I literally have no choice
(3) if there’s a special occasion, like a wedding, and nothing I already own is suitable or fits.

For professional meetings/interviews and special occasions I find it’s sufficient to keep a few well-chosen quality pieces since those items only come out a few times a year. For day-to-day wear I find it’s enough to revive, rework, or reuse existing pieces in different ways. And often just buying a few new belts and accessories changes an outfit to be contemporary.

I also try to do the one-in, one-out rule. If I buy something new, I donate or sell something old to create a space.

Right now I just have far to many other things to spend money on. I could buy those $120 shoes, or I could go to the doctor. I could buy that $60 jacket or I could pay for a AA membership for my car. I could go shopping every week or I could save money for a better apartment, health care, an emergency kit, etc.

Honestly, I think that in the current financial climate it’s far better to invest $100-200 in a sewing machine than into 1-2 items of clothing. ;)

posted over 4 years ago

Kassabelle
Style_council
Kassabelle

24 hours. :)

posted about 4 years ago

GlammcouturE
Style_council
GlammcouturE

a long time…

posted about 4 years ago

AttemptingStyle
Style_council
AttemptingStyle

well, when i had cancer (i know, sorry to be a downer) I didn’t buy things… but my parents bought me things to perk me up, so I don’t know that that counts :) otherwise, probably a week or so. I never do shopping sprees, but its hard for me not to buy little things (vintage jewelry esp.)

posted about 4 years ago

xxmidnightkisses
Style_council
xxmidnightki...

i cant go any longer than a month, its a torture!

posted about 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I think a couple of weeks. And that was because I was overseas. Ugh it’s so bad, gotta stop buying stuff!

posted about 4 years ago

browneyes
Style_council
browneyes

3 months

posted about 4 years ago

rawscientist
Style_council
rawscientist

A couple of days

posted about 4 years ago

SeekingStyle
Style_council
SeekingStyle

I’m sure I’ve gone months and months since I never have much money lol

posted about 4 years ago

lovestrucklucy
Style_council
lovestrucklucy

as of right now.. my friend and i haven’t shopped for almost a month !

posted over 2 years ago

carlyjean
Style_council
carlyjean

I have a tendency to shop online or go into stores for no reason at all and I almost always end up buying something.
I am a bit of a bargain hunter and not very impulsive. I have a lot of clothes, some of which I don’t even wear. It’s time to look through them all and see which ones I would like to keep.
Right now I couldn’t stop shopping because I need new clothes for my new job but after that, it’s in my plans haha.
Will it happen.. not too sure!

posted over 2 years ago

estrogens
Style_council
estrogens

I think the most I’ve gone is a few weeks. it’s so hard; I’m such a compulsive shopper. I should try to not buy anything for a while though. I bet it’ll be a nice vacation for my bank account.

posted over 2 years ago

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

maybe….5-6 days :D

posted over 1 year ago

KeilaFromPR
Style_council
KeilaFromPR

1 month

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION