SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
cindy
Style_council
cindy

Hi guys,
I’m leaving for China (specifically HK, Beijing, Shanghai & Guangzhou) in 2 weeks! I’m extremely excited, it’s my first time to China and I don’t really know what to expect. I’m unsure of what to pack- a few friends have told me that the girls dress pretty conservatively, they don’t wear low necks or shorts or anything tight etc and that SUPPOSEDLY only prostitutes wear that kind of stuff????? Hahaha…which presents a slight problem as the majority of my wardrobe is made up of short dressesand I, shorts, v neck tops etc. I currently have TWO pairs of jeans and THREE tshirts in my suitcase that I’ve deemed are pretty safe. Anything else I have are for winter and its summer over there right now.
If anyone has been, would you be able to tell me how the girls dress over there?
Also what are good places to go shopping?
Would appreciate your feedback, Thanks!

posted almost 6 years ago
lindarrr
Style_icon
lindarrr

Hi Cindy,
I’ve gone to China 3 times now and each time it was during the summer and all i gotta say is that IT’S HOT!!! Hot as in 100% humidity so the second you step outside you’re pretty much drenched in sweat.
Also, the girls do dress somewhat conservatively as in not many low cut tops but not as strict as your friends may have deemed it and you are going to mostly all the big cities which are less traditional in attire.
I suggest bringing lots of light, flowy dresses that breathe because again, its humid as hell.
OOh and since you’re going to Shanghai and HK you should stop by one of their many Uniqlos since we don’t have one here in the states besides in NYC.
Have a great trip and post pics!
-Linda

MichelleYue
Style_icon
MichelleYue

I go to China every summer (lots of family there). Just wear very comfortable clothes that can stand the heat. Oh and wear things you don’t mind getting dirty. The air is humid and dusty and polluted… the worst nightmare for white clothing. You’re right about dressing more conservatively. As for shopping, the night markets are always fun, although there’s really not much to purchase.
Wear a messenger bag or something that is not easily snatched. I had my (boyfriend’s) DS Lite stolen out of my purse when I set it down on a table. >_< so be extra careful with your stuff!

MichelleYue
Style_icon
MichelleYue

I go to China every summer (lots of family there). Just wear very comfortable clothes that can stand the heat. Oh and wear things you don’t mind getting dirty. The air is humid and dusty and polluted… the worst nightmare for white clothing. You’re right about dressing more conservatively. As for shopping, the n. ight markets are always fun, although there’s really not much to purchase.
Wear a messenger bag or something that is not easily snatched. I had my (boyfriend’s) DS Lite stolen out of my purse when I set it down on a table. >_< so be extra careful with your stuff!

evie
Style_council
evie

I’ve been to Shanghai a couple of times and while it’s a little conservative, you don’t have to be covered head to toe :)
As Lindarr suggested, there’s Uniqlo (I heart Uniqlo!). There’s also this street called Changle Lu which I checked out about two years ago and it’s got tons of boutiques – you’ll have to sift through quite a few as not all are gems but there are a few with unique, trendy locally designed stuff.
Have a good trip!

HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

Cindy,
I used to live in SH and BJ and worked for this magazine. http://shanghai.urbanatomy.com/thatssh/
It’s also in print and distributed at all major hotels in SH and BJ. Great resource for English speaking folks to find out where to shop. Here are some areas I like to visit:
SH:
http://shanghai.urbanatomy.com/listings/list.cf…\
Shanxi Nan Lu (boutiques)
Taipingyang Bai Huo at Xu Jia Hui(mall store but great selection)
Huai Hai Lu (big brand name stores)
BJ:
San Dian San (near the bar district in sanli tun)
Sogo (mall downtown)
Another recommendation is to get a travel guide book – Lonely Planet China. They sell this at Amazon.
As far as packing goes. Yes, it’s true, ppl are more conservative and if you look Asian, exposing too much skin may get you into trouble. My recommendation is to pack enough for three or four days, and just buy more when you are there. Let me know if you have any more questions. I am heading to BJ in August myself

cindy
Style_council
cindy

Thanks so much for the input guys, the advice was really helpful! I’ve written down all the places everyone has suggested and will try and visit them all.

jackierosestyle
New_user jackierosestyle is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When jackierosestyle reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jackierosestyle

the shopping is amazing there! im so happy for you. Make sure you go to Shenzen, that is where all the factories are! Lots of great tailors you can go to fabric stores with and design your own clothing! have fun!

posted almost 3 years ago

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

Hey what a nice post! I have no idea what to wear or where to go there because I never been there, but thank you for this topic because now I can read what other people are saying and that also gives me the idea to create a topic like that everytime I go travel to a a place I never been before and want some advice! Thank you a lot!

posted almost 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION