Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
j_fo
Style_council
j_fo

It’s no secret that the fashion world has decided to adopt one of the most popular religious symbols-crosses. I am a christian and more specifically a devoted Catholic so this passage isn’t directed in a negative way toward anyone,or enforcing religion on anyone but i’m just curious on others outlooks on this ongoing trend. It’s been around for quite some time now, and I have to admit, I’m pretty shocked at how popular its become. It used to be mainly priests rocking this trend, but now the fashion world has expanded it beyond its purpose, introducing it as an accesory.
Personally I do not have any of the infamous cross earrings, rings, or sideways necklaces. But on my 17th birthday my mom did pass down a necklace, with a cross on it, to me. Hers wasn’t more of the fashion version but had a deeper meaning relating to our faith and I’ve worn it just about every day since, yet more as a symbol reminding me of my faith. So I was wondering what you guys thing of the popular cross trend? Do you like it? Find it disrespectful?
Funny thing is, you could be rocking the cross trend and have the least religious faith in the world…and to be honest, that kind of bothers me. For example I went to one of my go-to stores the other day, Cotton On, and they had a turqouise rosary necklace on sale. As precious as it was, I couldn’t help being slightly dissapointed that my religion was being used as a way to make money because I’ve seen many people wear similar accessories who don’t even believe or care, but see it as a object rather than a representation of my faith.
I’m not trying to belittle those who don’t share the same faith as I do, but instead trying to get a bigger view of why they choose to wear it? Or get other peoples opinions on this subject? Please comment, I’m intrested in hearing others opinions!
Oh and if you have time, check out my blog here “[ http://thesoundsoffashion.blogspot.com/]”

posted almost 2 years ago
KateSeverson
New_user KateSeverson is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When KateSeverson reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
KateSeverson

It doesn’t bother me at all, frankly.

I was born and raised Catholic, went to Catholic school my entire life and I’m atheist. The cross has so much more meaning that pre-dates Christianity so it has no religious significance in my eyes when it’s in fashion. The joining of two lines at right angles doesn’t have to immediately scream “OMG CHRISTIAN SYMBOLISM”.

Now, when people sell “rosaries” as necklaces, I can see where that would be a bit offensive to a devout Christian because that’s definitely very Catholic oriented. Personally, I steer clear of crosses in my clothing and accessories. It just holds a lot of negative connotations for me from my childhood and I prefer not to reflect on that.

j_fo
Style_council
j_fo

True..I guess the rosary definitely is more serious then the cross, I never knew the cross pre-dates Christianity..that’s very interesting, I also respect you being an atheist but out of curiosity, why did you become one after growing up in such a Catholic environment?

REPLY TO DISCUSSION