Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
GoXtina
Style_council
GoXtina

My Humanity brought the environnement issue today so it got me interested. I know we all love to dress up here and we looove to shop.

I was wondering… When you buy clothes, do you keep them after a season and throw them out or you try to make it last (more than a season)? What do you guys do with the unwanted clothes?

What other things(related to clothes) do you guys do that are environmentally conscious?

As for me, I never really think of the environment when I buy clothes, I learn from my mom at a young age to not throw out good clothes. When something don’t fit me anymore or it doesn’t look good on me and it’s still in pretty good condition, I donate it to charity. I try to buy clothes that I can wear them as much as I can by mix and matching it differently and usually, all my clothes last more than two seasons.

I recently turn my 6th grade skirt into a dress… I’m planning to learn how to sew sometimes this summer so I can alternate the clothes that I’ll be buying at the thrift stores. Can’t wait!

posted over 5 years ago
splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I always keep my clothes for more than one season. You never know when something is going to come back in so you might as well keep it in case it does. I have some clothes that I’ve had for at least 5 years.

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

I always keep my clothes as well… actually I don’t think I’ve ever thrown out a piece of clothing. If I grow out of them/they don’t really fit my style anymore I ‘donate’ it to either one of my two sisters haha. They don’t seem to mind :)

That’s a really good idea to learn to sew to make alterations to thrift store clothes much easier! I’ve tried learning, but it’s hopeless for me :( I can hand-sew, but for some reason, the machine renders me an uncoordinated idiot. Still love thrifting though :)

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I always keep my clothes, there’s no way I could afford to do otherwise! If it’s outgrown or if I don’t like it, I’ll donate it or sell it to some store if I’m broke. I couldn’t bear to throw out something someone else could wear.

But, it’s hard to find enviromentally friendly fabrics for low prices, which I’m very much all about. I try shopping at thrift stores, but I rarely have any luck.

I’m more environmentally concious when it comes to my eating habits and recycling plastic/paper/other materials.

posted over 5 years ago

amorpassion
Style_council
amorpassion

I try to keep as many articles of clothing as I can. However the clothes that I dont need or aren’t my style anymore, I sell them or I donate them

posted over 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Buy, beg, borrow, steal.

Fashion is all about hustling.

posted over 5 years ago

_kait
Style_council
_kait

I couldn’t imagine getting rid of clothes after only one season, or actually putting stuff in the garbage!
I recently went through my closet and cleaned out everything that doesn’t fit or seems too young for me now. It’s all going in a garage sale, and whatever is left over is getting donated.
I like keeping some older styles around.. Sometimes they come back into fashion! Or I’ll think of a new updated way of wearing it.

Other eco-friendly ideas are to alter old clothes: change hemlines or necklines, add details, or layer with some of your favourite items.
I also like the idea of turning old clothes into completely new items: taking old material from a skirt or something and making it a purse, scarf, etc.. And one I saw the other day (I have NO idea where though), was turning an old band shirt into a pillow.. You can still admire it that way, and it’s not just a shirt hidden away in a drawer somewhere.

I also try to think a lot more now before I purchase something.. Is it just a fad? Will I be able to wear it next year? This has saved me a lot of money in the past few years!

posted over 5 years ago

HOA1950
Style_council
HOA1950

I love investment pieces. I buy the basics and wear them for years to come. I also have a love for vintage. If I’ve overworn an item I give it to a shelter.

posted over 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I love going through old clothes and wearing them in a new way! I did the same thing with a long skirt I wore in middle school—wide belt + cardigan = BAM, new dress lol. But what I don’t wear, I donate; I come from a third-world country that often gets neglected (I moved when I was like, three), so we always send our clothes over there.

I never ever ever throw away clothes unless they’re no longer wearable or are stained, but at the same time I never’repurpose’ clothes (i.e., all those ‘50 new ways to snazz up your t-shirt’ books); they tend to look like a big home-ec mess—or at least it would with my clumsy hands lol. Unless you’re skilled, it’s hard to look fashionable wearing a tshirt you cut a bunch of holes in. I do, however, like to cut the hems off of some of my college hoodies.

In regards to the environment—I hate hate hate how sheltered we are from everything in the world. Even big environmental atrocities like coal river mountain are out of site, out of mind for most people. However, as a poor college student I can’t afford to shop at eco-friendly stores with clothing made from raw, organic materials—maybe when I’m older and establish a career for myself, I will.. But then again, most environmentally friendly clothing labels are not that fashionable, and cater to the hippies lol.

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION