Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Pink_Champagne
Style_council
Pink_Champagne

Some of you have read this on my latest Chictopia post, but (at jerseyferarri’s suggestion) I decided to additionally make a topic in the forums.

This past Friday, the EIU contributors (myself included) were informed that we were being limited to doing our interview articles one per month. The following documents the correspondence between me and Cheri on this topic:

From: CheriChictopia Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hi Editor Message: Hi there,
You’ll learn more about editorial calendar next week. We will announce details then.

Cheri
——————————————————————————————————————
Pink_Champagne wrote:

Hello, Cheri,
Thank you for getting back to my questions. So (just to clarify things) the interviews are being limited because they’re not particularly interactive or relatable to most Chictopians? (In comparison to the trend and DIY articles which are applicable to anyone).
Also, will we have to follow the schedule of the editorial calendar in order to get our articles published, or is it merely a compliment of suggestions?
Thank you.
~Pink_Champagne

From: CheriChictopia Subject: Re: Re: Hi Editor Message: Hi there,
We are only limiting interviews right now because from user feedback, they are the ones that are receiving the least amount of engagement and offering least amount of value to our users.
We will be announcing the new editorial calendar next week, this is not to limit the number of articles you contribute, to help you generate ideas so you can contribute more. You are still encouraged to submit more articles for approval, but our editor is here to ensure that the articles approved offer value to our audience, and serves our community the best.

Cheri

Hello, Cheri,
What exactly is this new “editorial calendar”? I appreciate Chictopia’s concern for our time managment, but I think we editors have everything under control right now as it is.
With this calendar, how are we supposed to produce any articles if we are limited to simply one “interview” article per month? Are you planning on limiting the “trendspotting” and “DIY” articles as well?
If everyone is scheduled to write the same amount of articles or a limited number of articles, then how are three of us supposed to get ahead of the others to attend fashion week in the spring?
Thank you for your time.
~Hope Adela (Pink_Champagne)

Hi Editor!
We’re excited to announce that we are bringing on board some new editors and will be introducing an editorial calendar to help you manage EIU. For the time being, please restrict the number of interviews you do to one per month.
Thanks so much and keep up the good work!

xo, Cheri

I deeply apologzie to those of you who were in the process of one of my interviews. It would be great to get some more EIU contributors on board, but I don’t agree with this new rule at all, nor am I looking forward to this “editorial calendar”. angiekje and I were talking on Facebook, and we both think that Chictopia has too many rules for a website that’s all about fashion independence. The rules on here are becoming almost hypocritical in comparison to the creative message of Chictopia. If our articles were poorly-written or receiving negative feedback, I could see why they wouldn’t get published on EIU. But both of our articles have always been published and well-written, and have received only positive feedback. Why fix something that isn’t broken? Depending on what this upcoming EIU calendar is like, I might stop writing for EIU altogether and just post outfit pictures here on Chictopia.

What do you all think about this? Should there be a limit imposed on the interview articles for EIU? What do you think about the upcoming editorial calendar?

posted over 3 years ago
angiekje
Style_council
angiekje

Obviously I have a opinion about this :p there can be a limit but in that case there should be a limit on all types of editorials… AND one per month is just not enough…

what do you think of one per week or one every two weeks, one every ten days might be an idea too…

eventually people choose what they want to read on EIU and when I compare votes on the interviews and other posts they’re similar… so I think there’s another reason…

also these interviews do take a lot of time since you need to contact someone, mail back and forth, you need to edit quite a lot (long answers, repetitions, uncertainty,…) it’s work (which I obviously loved) so I do feel it to be a bit ungrateful that they are restricted… but okay… if they need to cut back, they need to, i’m just disagreeing about the amount. Anyhow, Cheri did write “For the time being” so it might not be forever?

I am VERY curious about the editorial calendar and REALLY hope it’s for the best :) we’ll see this week I guess…

I’m also curious for new style icons, hello AmandahBrohman, Chichichicjb, beware_of_my_heels??? :) I guess we’ll find out soon enough…

posted over 3 years ago

Annebeth
Style_icon
Annebeth

For me personally, I agree with cheri’s new measure. One per month may be a little on the low side, but I would prefer to see the interviews limited to special occasions, for example an interview with new style icons or winners of prizes or rising stars of chictopia, or rare male chictopians or even girls with a “fashion disability” like being pregnant or being full figured (their tips would be totally inspirational for insecure girls), anyway you know what I mean. Right now it comes across as way too much and a bit uncreative if you ask me. If I’m absolutely honest all those interviews even demotivate me to even write an article myself because a lot of time goes into writing those articles, and they just get lost in the tsunami of interviews. I would suggest having each contributor writing a max of one or two articles per week to assure quality, and letting the choice of who gets to go to NY depend on quality rather than quantity. EIU is an amazing site that deserves the very best, and even though I’m sure you guys put lots of work in the interviews, it still can come across as “just sending someone your questions and posting the answers”. It’s sort of the same every time, and like cheri said: not very interactive. I prefer articles that make you think or that inspire you to try something new for example. Interviews are nice to get to know more about people, but if you post them from time to time rather than ALL the time, it has more of an effect (or that’s just how I feel).

I hope this doesn’t put you guys off posting articles since I love both your writing styles, but I really hope you’ll just branch out more. For example, I absolutely love Angie’s informational articles on how chictopia works and how to use photoshop and I’d love to read more of those. And Hope has so much more to offer than the small trendspotting and interview articles, she has one of the most amazing ecclectic styles on this site and I’d love to read more about how she puts together styles that range through era’s and where she gets her inspiration. The articles should both be more personal (to the editors) and more broad (subjectwise, to inspire readers). I’d love to work with you guys to really make this contributor thing perfect so if you guys have tips or remarks for me, I’d love to hear them! I really see this as a preparation for my after-uni carreer, so go ahead!

posted over 3 years ago

Pink_Champagne
Style_council
Pink_Champagne

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

Angie, I think your idea of limiting the interview articles but for a shorter time period (like one per week) would be a good compromise. We’d be able to focus more on the different types of articles, and maybe even branch out and try some radically new ideas.

Annebeth, I’m glad you are speaking your mind about this! =) I think that your statement about how posting them from time to time is better relates to what Angie is saying. There can be restrictions on the interview articles, but more leniant restrictions. I love your idea about future articles! I’d actually like to make my articles more personal, but I didn’t know how people would feel reading them if more of the attention was focused on me, the editor. (If that’s something that readers wouldn’t mind, I’d be happy to make them more personal.) Hmmm…I might even try doing a post on how to achieve a good eclectic style, using some of my own outfits as examples. As for your articles, I’d love to see some DIY ones! I loved that red floral wreath you made a couple months ago, and would love to pick up on more of your crafty ideas.

posted over 3 years ago

Pink_Champagne
Style_council
Pink_Champagne

Oh, and Angie, I def agree with what you’re saying about the time and input it takes to put into an interview article. From a reader’s perspective, it may just look like we simply copied and pasted someone else’s answers down, but there’s a lot of “behind the scenes” work that goes on into publishing an interview article. You first have to scour the style gallery and stalk chictopians to find someone you think would make good interview material, you have to contact the person, compose the questions in relation to their individual style and personality, wait for their answers (sometimes over a week!), go through and edit their answers for grammatical and spelling errors, and choose five photos that best represent their style. It’s a tad more difficult that it probably appears =)

posted over 3 years ago

CheriChictopia
Style_council
CheriChictopia

Hi Editors

I want to start by mentioning that we admire your passion and dedication to the community. We appreciate your contributions and recognize you as valuable community member.
We want to address your concern about EIU and the new editorial calendar.
EIU is an editorial published by Chictopia. We want to adhere to a certain editorial voice while maintaining a high standard of quality. The editorial calendar will serve as a way for editors to ensure there is minimal overlap between articles and that all editorials are relevant, original, and interesting to the community. We want the calendar to serve as a guide, and a helpful tool in creating the best editorial content for EIU. The interview limit is only set for the time being and is meant to restrict the number of interviews per editor, giving other editors a chance to do an interview without sacrificing other types of content. We do acknowledge that there is a lot of work put into writing them, however, the goal isn’t to require that each article taking up many hours of editors time, but that EIU has a diverse type of editorials that serve the needs of the community.
We track the popularity of posts by number of page views, number of comments, and talking to other users about their thoughts. At the end of the day, we make a judgement call on who can contribute, frequency of contribution for each topic, and which article we approve. Building up a community requires a lot of decisions to be made. These decisions are made with our experience, and our knowledge of what best serves our community.
We believe these changes will improve EIU and offer more value to the community. Thanks for your feedback and cooperation.

xo, Cheri

posted over 3 years ago

angiekje
Style_council
angiekje

@CheriChictopia I already thought it would be something like that :) and I am happy for it. Irisanddaniel already mentioned a similar idea earlier at the forum and it’s a good one. Because in the end: what can be worse then spending hours on making an article, without knowing you’re not the only one making one about that topic…

@everyone who wants to know: I have one I am VERY proud of coming up this week (not yet sure when, need to read and re-read again (I always do it about 5 times)). It’s something different, this time I show almost exclusively my point of view (which isn’t that good for a journalist, but I can’t be neutral about the subject), some facts (found online), good examples from our style gallery and people’s idea’s about the matter from our own forum… yes this article is profound and huge, but it needs to be this way in order to be complete :D

(oh and yes I am one of those friends you have to try to make you all curious for your birthdaypresent weeks in advance ;) it’s exactly what I’m doing now… :D)

Hope you’ll like it, but I know some people (about 10-15% I think) won’t agree :D

Thanks Cheri and other staff of Chictopia, it’s like I said in my article about Chictopian changes it always takes a little time to embrace change, took me two days :) (stopped caring that much yesterdaymorning, you can see it in my chicblog, added a little note :D)

xo

Angie

ps: and now I’m off shopping in Antwerp and being curious about the next style icons :D (been checking and checking as I do every month… I’m sure about beware_of_my_heels, AmandaBrohman, fancytreehouse and chichichicjb… but we’ll see?

posted over 3 years ago

Pink_Champagne
Style_council
Pink_Champagne

Thank you for your response, Cheri! Like Angie, I’ve calmed down a little since the EIU changes were first announced. I’m actually looking forward to seeing what it will be like, and already have a series of new article ideas up my sleeve (think vintage clothing!) Do you know when the editorial calendar will be released?

posted over 3 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I don’t contribute to EIU as much as the others on this thread, but I agree with Annebeth.

Interviews are interesting, but there’s a certain extent at which it just becomes a little repetitive. I can’t wait to see more stuff on EIU!

PS, when will the calendar be up? I want to start contributing more.

posted over 3 years ago

Pink_Champagne
Style_council
Pink_Champagne

Cheri, I forgot to mention this in my most recent reply to this, but I was wondering if you could make a compromise on the number of EIU interview articles. Maybe one per week per editor instead of one per month per editor? I think that limit would fine-tune the quality of the interview articles (as you desired) while giving the editors who write interiew articles more freedom. What do you think?

posted over 3 years ago

CheriChictopia
Style_council
CheriChictopia

Editors,
I’m going to move this conversation off line as my message was originally meant only for editors to view. Going forward, please send me messages if you have ideas on how to improve the process. Thank you.

Cheri

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION