Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
karlamuffin
Style_council
karlamuffin

I’ve always heard people looking at those who dress up for college, but my take is that… why make college an excuse to be lazy to dress up? I mean sure there are those occasional lazy days, but I love dressing nice. It’s how I am and I don’t want to change just because of college.
What’s your take on it?

posted almost 6 years ago
1 2
foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

luckily my campus is generally well-dressed (art school). Everyone does seem to put in a little effort, whatever look they’re going for. I try to treat school as I would a working situation – take it seriously, and try to be professional in the way i handle myself.
That being said, I laugh at chicks who wear stiletto pumps when they’re spending class working the bandsaw in shop class. Seriously, there’s chic and there’s fool. And you’re the latter.

connie
Style_icon
connie

Meh. Fashion is awesome and clothes are awesome, but what I think that fashion and clothing are meant to do is to help us present to the world who we are. If you have an awesome personality and a great mind, and dress in sweatpants? Who cares. If you’re happy doing it, if dressing down doesn’t affect your life opportunities, if your sweatpants don’t have gnar gnar brown stains on it…keep on keepin’ it down. As for me, dressing down TOTALLY affects my life: I have to interact with tons of people everyday who do care about aesthetics and work in the industry. But bottom line, do what makes you happy. Just like you wouldn’t want others judging your ripped tights and exposed lace bras, you don’t want to judge others for their pajamas.

robynrobynrobyn
Style_council
robynrobynrobyn

my only rule is NO jeans to uni.

ThinkBig_
Style_council
ThinkBig_

I go to a school where no one cares about dressing up. Say hello to a liberal arts college in cow country where fashion is fluff and politics (and grass root hippies) is everything, a campus where people wear pajamas to class and walk barefoot. There’s costs and there benefits to being on a college campus. If you have a lazy day and want to dress down, it’s great that you can. I just have a problem with people who belittle the person who dresses up – or who washes their face instead of run for the door in the morning …

geenie
Style_council
geenie

dressing up does make a difference, makes you feel more energetic. i feel like a bum on those days where i put on a hoodie but those are usually days where i study or have an exam and im just not in the mood. i dont think anyone really dresses up in my school especially not during midterms and finals! i see lots of people wear uggs but my friends wear uggs too so i really dont care, as long as youre comfortable with what you wear.

posted over 5 years ago

dress
Style_council
dress

Wearing full stilletos for a lecture is ridiculous, well, to some. If you have rolling hills, and pebbled side walks, etc. it would definitely be smart to opt out.
But, that doesn’t mean it’s sweat pants, bed head hair, flip flops. The way you dress takes effect on how you study. If you’re in your pajamas or lounge pants, it’s harder to concentrate.
Wearing comfy yet stylish flats, jeans, a nice top and a cardigan for when it gets chilly, is probably the best way to go when it comes to classes.

posted over 5 years ago

carrotlove
Style_council
carrotlove

Its worse for me since I live in an all Freshman resident campus. Its so weird having people in my hall stare at me for dressing up when they’re all in PJs and sweatshirts D:! Luckily, I’m moving home next semester, so more time (&privacy) to get dressed up :].

posted over 5 years ago

shmush
Style_council
shmush

i feel like all the girls at my school just discovered gladiators…and thought they went with juicy tracksuits? no joke. pretty much typical contradictory juicy/full makeup situation at my school, and sometimes i do feel weird wearing like tights and docs. also, my school is all about biking so it makes it hard to wear dresses and skirts : (

posted over 5 years ago

stephanista
Style_council
stephanista

I love dressing up for school because this could be my last chance to wear whatever I want every day, but sometimes I have to change later in the day because the things I put together early in the morning with all the lights off in my room aren’t always the best

posted over 5 years ago

GlammcouturE
Style_council
GlammcouturE

I didn’t dress up at all for classes at the beginning of the year, but when I switched my major to something fashion-related, I made a promise to myself that I would present myself in the best way possible and be fashion forward no matter what the occasion. I’m glad I did that, I feel better about myself.

posted over 4 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION