Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Vintagepearls
Style_council
Vintagepearls

I want to start dressing more adult like and looking like a 20 year old rather than someone that is style in high school! Any suggestions i love love love vanessa hudgens style everything about it. I need idea’s please help! Thanks

posted over 5 years ago
Superbeckyy
Style_council
Superbeckyy

You could:

- Value quality over quantity when shopping: instead of buying 10 cheapie tops for £50, invest the money in one quality item that you love & will last you & look great for years

- Gather pictures of models, celebrities or anyone with the kind of style you aspire to have on your computer or stuck in a notebook. Keep these in mind whenever you’re shopping or getting dressed in the morning.

- Depends where you shop already, but shop at more ‘adult’ stores if possible, or go to the ladies section instead of the teens section.

- Try things on that you’d never normally think of – experiment with different necklines and fabrics, or if you never usually wear dresses, grab some to sample.

- Someone suggested to me that button-up shirts, tailored trousers, cardigans and fitted jackets look much more mature for everyday wear than t-shirts and jeans.

- If you normally wear plastic jewellery, ask a family member or good friend to buy you a glamourous necklace or bracelet for your birthday.

I am currently in the process of making my look more mature, so I totally understand where you’re coming from.

posted over 5 years ago

murph
Style_council
murph

don’t buy anything from the juniors section. Wear things that drape nicely on you. Wearing everything skintight is definitely a younger look. A lot of people associate sophisticated looks with comfortability.

posted over 5 years ago

Vintagepearls
Style_council
Vintagepearls

Thanks so much superbeckyy your a major help! :)

posted over 5 years ago

nothing2wear
Style_council
nothing2wear

Check out banana republic. They just put a bunch of “adult” clothes on sale. I love their classy shift dresses.

posted over 5 years ago

twiggychic3
Style_council
twiggychic3

i have the same dilemma. except for me, it’s even harder. i’m under 5’0 so finding more adult clothing my size is such a challenge! if any petite girls out there have any tips, please let me know! it’d be greatly appreciated

A Musing of Sorts

posted almost 5 years ago

StyleitYou
Style_council
StyleitYou

I like stores like Zara and Mango for trendy and more adult looking clothing. I’m not sure if those stores are available in your area. Also check out Anthropologie. I think you should look for great fabric, cuts, and silhouettes and nothing too clingy. Also you can always spin a J Crew Skirt with a funkier top from Forever 21. I think you should always keep your personal style while trying to dress a bit more age appropriate.

~Yanique
www.styleityou.com

Rasjelle
Style_council
Rasjelle

I don’t know if I can help you with this, since I’m only seventeen myself. But I’ll try.

- Quality over quantity. It’s a must. Something I decided on doing a few months ago. This doesn’t mean that I can only buy things that are at least $100, but I buy less of the stuff everyone’s wearing (H&M, for example) and less trendy stuff. Just go for classics that compliment your shape and that you’ll still find pretty after two years, even after the trends have changed.

- Make some sort of inspiration book/what ever. Save everything you really like. This should give you some insight in your personal taste.

- Invest in some pretty lingerie. This will make you feel more mature and confident. And if it makes you feel that way, you look that way.

Hope I helped you!

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

I’m 26 and like you, revamping my wardrobe to look more grown-up. Some things I’ve learned.

- Dressing “older” does not mean losing your edge, forsaking colors, giving up spontaneity, or looking like your mother.

- Graphic tees are pretty much out. Not ALL of them, but most of the kind you see littering the juniors department — the ones with rhinestones, sassy quotes, or blatantly “youth rebel” visuals. Choose this rather than this.

- You’re still young, so you can get away with a lot more than someone in their 30s, but you still want to look like you’re past puberty. Most teenagers are trying to fit in, and wear short-lived trendy things, and older people have to worry about age-appropriate attire (you usually don’t see a 40-year-old in metallic-finish halter tops. Usually.) We’re in a nice little part of our lives where we’re young enough to try anything but old enough to have the confidence to pull it off. Mix things up — eras, cultures, trendy with vintage, etc. A short cheongsam with western boots? Why not? Rebellious leather jacket and nerdy oxfords? Tricky, but possible.

- Fit is important. I’m sure at 20, you still have a young-ish face. Find things that fit your body well, or you may end up looking like a little girl who raided her mom’s closet. If something doesn’t fit quite right, get it tailored.

- Something I learned when I was trying to find “instant maturity” — a good bag. Think of two women your age, wearing totally age-neutral outfits, like a tunic shirt, jeans, and boots. One is holding a bright Harajuku Lovers bag with cartoonish children splashed all over as a pattern, and the other woman is holding a well-structured Coach bag. Who would you think is the older of the two?

- Some people forget about this: HAIR. All one length and down to your waist is so fifth grade. Get a flattering, versatile cut. And no excessive teasing or purposefully keeping it over your entire face like some emo scene kid.

Michael993
Style_council
Michael993

If you’re going for a more mature look, I wouldn’t recommend looking to Vanessa Hudgens or any other flash in the plan Disney starlet.

miss_scientist
Style_council
miss_scientist

i went through this fashion conundrum when i was 18. i changed my style by not wearing any more graphic tees—they are definitely juvenile. i also tried not to wear hoodies— zip ups or pull overs. i got better fitted jeans and tops with more intricate detailing.

i think what can separate a teen look from a mature look is definitely the cut of the clothes. for example…a wife beater tank top in a bright color is definitely immature but you can wear the same color with a different cut top.

i think that interesting blouses add instant maturity, when you’re just starting off.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION