Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
reece
Style_council
reece

So, I don’t know if i’m alone in this, but I’m often at a loss of what to wear to work. I work in a really casual office that is totally open to different ways of dressing, but I still feel like its a struggle. Sometimes I think what I wear is better suited for a night out than a day at the office. But, I’m also afraid of looking too generic at work; like I don’t want to wear black pants and a button up everyday. I’m starting to think that “generic” outfits can be made interesting with great shoes and accessories, but I’m not sure. Any thoughts from the working set out there?

posted about 6 years ago
ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

Most of my outfits earlier this summer were for work. I had a 8-5 office job and the dress code was “business casual.” I stuck to slightly longer skirts and button up blouses or nice dresses. But I really pushed the line and inject a lot of color. Most people I know who work in offices don’t dress very experimentally but also don’t dress very nicely…I don’t get how flip flops with heels (call them slingbacks to euphemize) are considered businesslike at all!
I think finidng the basics in colors or patterns makes a big difference.

posted about 6 years ago

HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

Hi, on Chictopia, you can browse outfits by occasion. If you select “work”, it will show you what other stylish girls to work. Check it out here. Hope it helps!

posted about 6 years ago

kristina
Style_council
kristina

Where I work I generally have to dress business casual, but when I’m not out meeting clients I can wear whatever I want as long as it’s appropriate.
My work attire consists mostly of blazers, pencil skirts, (boring but cute) heels, and black skinny jeans/pants. I also add a personal touch with minimal jewelry; I usually wear a multichain bracelet and a small pendant necklace to work (I wear much more otherwise). I also agree w/ ClothesHorse that colors or patterns make a difference.
I know there is not much you can work with when it comes to dressing for your job, but you also don’t want to be THAT girl in the office no one takes seriously because you wear chunky heels, chain/studded belts, and short skirts all the time. Sure you look good, but the office is NOT the right place for that. Not to mention it’s a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen….
I once saw a girl that wore that AA U neck dress to work w/ 5” tall heels in a business casual enviorment. Yeah.. hello unemployment line.

posted about 6 years ago

Nanny
Style_council
Nanny

Accessories are the solution!
My office surroundings are rather casual but my own job requires business casual on normal days and formal when meeting brokers or going to our offices abroad. So usually I’m quite dressed up in comparison to my co-workers, but I don’t mind as I think there should be a difference in clothes for free time and for the job anyway.
I wear a lot of dresses and skirts, making them more formal with a short blazer if necessary. Also I accessorize a lot and don’t hesitate to wear also larger, unusual pieces at work. A scarf can add some more color, and nice shoes give an extra twist. These don’t have to have super-high heels to be chic, I think there are many options and after all I have to be able to walk in them! Oh, and did I mention bags? I have quite a collection, and even as of course I don’t carry them around in the office, it can be very consoling to know I got a phantastic bag sitting by my desk when I’m forced to wear something very formal due to the occasion. And if I really feel I should let go a bit, I do. Anyone deserves a casual day in between every now and then!

posted about 6 years ago

New_user 8878 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 8878 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I have the same issue with work. Lately I’ve just started not caring and it seems to be working out just fine. I do get lots of inspiration for workwear from the people on here and in the fashion blogging community though!

posted about 6 years ago

aliwishesbear
Style_council
aliwishesbear

Hahaha I just wrote an entry about this and posted my boring non chic but work safe uniform. Yes there are people that dress very nicely for work, but I work in a very small office full of guys, so they could careless what I wear as long as its appropriate, ie not sweats.

posted almost 6 years ago

GirlfriendInAComa
Style_council
GirlfriendIn...

For work I load up on the classic button up shirts…I like Express’s work shirts and bought every single color. I also invest in nice dress pants and pencil skirts (black, gray, and navy). Blazers are worth the extra buck as well. I bought a pair of black stiletto pumps from Nine West that match everything so I wear them alot to the office. I like to have fun with work clothes though…my current muse is Joan from Mad Men…but gotta tone down the “vixen” look…gotta make it work appropriate.

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I’m lucky, I don’t really have to think out what I can wear to work. At one job I have a company uniform and at the other job I’m allowed to wear whatever I want. I could even go to that job in a tank, hotpants and flip flops if I wanted.

queenlazy
Style_council
queenlazy

I find it difficult, but my job can be quite messy so I don’t like to wear nice clothes in case they get ruined. It’s generally just jeans and a plain top, but it gets really boring.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION