Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

I’ve noticed something about Chictopia:

We’re nice people.

Well. There’s a caveat there. Maybe we’re all too nice.

I’ve noticed that there’s a lack of really pointed criticism and honest discussion about fashion, style, and dressing for yourself. I would say that the vast majority of people on Chictopia want to learn, want to share, and want a strong, vibrant community of people. That being said, I think we need to cut out our bad habits.

When I post a comment on a person’s photo, what am I really saying? Am I actually trying to contribute, trying to share some little nugget of fashion knowledge that I have in the hopes that someone else reads it, digests it, and it makes their fashion universe just a little bit better or brighter? I’d like to think so. But that means we can’t just post comments to be popular, to leave a “nice” remark, or to just say “Great look! So chic!”.

If we want Chictopia to be a worthwhile place to post pictures and share our thoughts, we’ve got to start cutting out these habits of ours that don’t really contribute anything of value. Posting a fluffy comment just for that one little chic point isn’t really worth it if your comment isn’t meaningful and insightful. This isn’t to say that every single comment needs to be a long, drawn-out diatribe about aesthetics or economics. Everyone should definitely see Chictopia as a place where they can have fun, meet people, and while away their hours in a sea of fashionable photos.

But think, before you post. Think hard, make it worth someone else’s time to read, and maybe we can make one another want to write, to talk, to share, to learn, to style, to find our individual fashion perspectives.

posted over 5 years ago
1 2
raiscake
Style_council
raiscake

I think there are some trolls here in Chictopia who vote down outfits just to spite you. I know one user who posted pictures of other people claiming to be themselves. They’ve been banned now. :P

The Myspace-style pics bother me too… At the risk of sounding elitist here, if it’s not about fashion, don’t post it. Ultimately, Chictopia isn’t be about you, in the sense that it’s not about how skinny you are, how pretty you are, how popular you are, etc etc. It should be and only be about your style. Bonus points of course if you’re any of the above, but in the end, I’m only interested in what you’re wearing and how you translate that to me.

posted over 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

“The reason I bring this up is because I got about 20 lovely comments in about 8 hours of posting a pic, then all of of sudden my rating was ok. Well, not one comment told me what they didn’t like about the outfit or how to make it better but a whole lot of people didn’t hesitate to give me a less than chic rating.”

It’s likely it only took a small amount of bad ratings to make your average drop that far. I think why people don’t tend to comment when they give bad votes is that not everyone wants the criticism and the voters probably don’t want to come off as harsh or mean.

As for using those options, I tend to use the good one quite lot, and the ok one sometimes, and I’ve used doubtful and not a couple of times but not a lot. An outfit’s got to be really bad imo for me to use them, if it’s just bad according to my taste but something that other people probably would find stylish I just don’t vote as it’s a bit unfair to vote according to personal taste instead of how the other person actually looks.

posted over 5 years ago

flattery
Style_icon
flattery

I half agree half don’t.
I agree that some comments such as “cute!!” are rather lazy, but it is better than nothing at all, and some people are better with words than others.
I honestly don’t comment on outfits that I don’t like. I agree that there are NICE ways of saying an outfit is bad but I really would hate to see chictopia become a malicious site or worse, a site with trolls who simply patrol to put people down.

This kind of reminds me of something;
I was on MsRoboto’s blog (I hope she doesn’t mind me saying this, if so i will remove this comment..), and I saw a post saying how she won the spring contest and how people were saying her outfit was horrible,etc. I think that these types of comments that people were leaving are extremely unneccessary and most of the comments were like, “oh you would get made fun of if you wore this to school..”
Well, anyways, my point is, a lot of people don’t understand or appreciate different styles. I would rather not have their negative comments if they aren’t willing to be open to different looks.

With that being said, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is always welcome if done right.

posted over 5 years ago

KristaniA
Style_council
KristaniA

This might be a bit off topic, but still (somewhat) related to geekbonchic’s original post.

I’ve been noticing lately that a lot of people who comment on the outfit posts don’t leave a chic vote for the same outfit.

my question is: WHY ????

this issue really bothers me to the bone and I’ve written a post about this on my account

Why can’t people click on that ‘chic vote’ box after they leave a positive comment?

I’ve tried to come up with some reasons as to why they dont:

1. they don’t want others to gain popularity by getting their outfit on the style gallery page (chic votes get you to the style gallery page, not the # of comments)

2. they just want to gain more chic points, so the only ‘positive’ comments they give out are “nice”, “cute”, “love it!”, “cool outfit”, “great”, and all that jazz.
these comments have no depth to them.

3. they comment (short comments like i mentioned in #2) on almost all chictopians’ posts hoping that others will look at their posts and give them positive comments (and votes) in return. This is wrong because comments should be genuine, be that positive or constructive.

I’m really upset about this.
People might think I’m taking Chictopia too seriously, but believe me, I’ve spoken to some people who expressed the same kind of disappointment.
I do take Chictopia seriously, that’s why whenever I leave a positive comment, I always explain why I like that particular outfit AND I VOTE for it.

Since every style is unique, I try not to judge outfits which style doesn’t appeal to my personal taste. If I don’t seem to like what I see (because it’s not my cup of tea or too bizzare for my taste), then I won’t comment or vote.
It’s thats simple and I think it’s fair.
It’s better than leaving a short positive comment with a hidden intention to make yourself look good.

There are many posts that with 30-40+ (mostly positive) comments BUT only get 1/2 the amount for chicvotes. Has this ever happened to you?
This is simply based on my general observations on other chictopians for the past few months.

Anyways, enough ranting about this.
I don’t know if this post would raise an awareness about this issue or the editors would simply ignore it.
I don’t know if I should write to CheriChictopia or not.
What do you guys think?

posted about 5 years ago

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

i’ve noticed too that many who take the time to write a comment, don’t vote. Sometimes i forget, and navigate away before doing so (oops) but i try to do both all the time.

but yeah, i agree with geekbonchic – I’m here to improve my style! I love the positive feedback, we all like it – but some contstructive feeback would be awesome.

i think a good model would be to start by pointing out something that works/you like, then what isn’t working and how to improve it:

that dress is adorable, but I feel the shoes are a bit too dramatic – maybe a pair of flats? and so on.

posted about 5 years ago

magnesium
Style_council
magnesium

I think I have to agree with Princeoftennis on this one. In theory constructive criticism is best, but in realty, critism that isn’t tempered with praise can be hurftul. Chances are, anyone who posted a photo probably spent a lot of time and thought into their outfit, enough to air in a hyper-public forum such as chictopia.

I usually just don’t comment, or don’t vote for outfits I don’t like. And trust me, there are no shortage of stuff that I “don’t really get.”, so to speak. If I left a “constructive remark” for each, I think I would become a Chictopian pariah very very quickly.

I think the best course would to offer “suggestions” to something you already like 95%, but could love MORE with another 5% of tweaking. It’s less hurtful, than say, trying to alter and entire outfit.

In short, I’m Anti-Brainless comments, but I’m also Anti-Rampant Outfit Bashing.
The best rule of thumb ? Comment because you Care

posted about 5 years ago

victoriaah
Style_council
victoriaah

I’m sort of ‘on the fence’ with this topic. As a relatively new user, I’m currently just enjoying having a nose through other peoples wardrobes (heaven!) and posting pictures of my clothes. I’m currently trying to think of fun poses so my photos are a little more than just me standing there in my newest outfit.

I certainly like getting positive comments, and it makes me feel really good about myself, but at the same time I think some constructive criticism wouldn’t exactly destroy my confidence. I think honesty is the best policy, and it’s more about how you word your comment than anything. You can say you’re not keen on a certain element of an outfit without having to say, “man, what were you thinking?!”

Because I’m new here, I’m happy to get any comments – regardless of what they say! As long as they’re relevant to the outfit then I’m happy :-D

posted about 5 years ago

Kamicha
Style_council
Kamicha

Personally I would avoid any suggestions or “constructive criticism” – except if the person specifically asks for it. So if you want feedback (other than those “Oh, cool!”s) why not ask for it in your post? I don’t like the idea of polls used for this, style is a complicated thing and discussion is very important.

Style is also a personal thing and I want to respect it. And if I’m asked for feedback I would like to know a thing or two about the person (age, what kind of work, what kind of budget for clothing…) before I open my mouth.

Although I’m pretty new in here I have to say that I’m not big fan of Chictopia chic points system, I totally agree with KristaniA with all her points about it. But I also understand that it is not easy to develop a system that is both engaging and pinpoints the interesting material with certainty. Chictopia does great job in that sense, that the overall feeling in here is positive – and very active.

This is probably pretty hard comment – and might not even be true in this site, don’t know CT that well yet. Personally I have been somewhat active in StyleDiary and some other sites before. I do post some of my outfits but even more I would like to get ideas and inspiration, so I do browse a lot. In my opinion the problem is not that there are lots of people who pick wrong kind of clothes for their body type or create unstylish outfits. No! The problem is that interesting outfits are buried under the masses of very conventional – although nice or at least OK – stuff. Most of us can combine a good pair of jeans and nice top or blouse and skirt with harmonizing colors – or even copycat the latest trend look from magazines (and I’m not saying that I can do better than that or even that =) ). There is nothing wrong in that that outfits like that are around in sites like this – but I would like to see a system that really helps to dig out the creative and unique takes on clothing.

And that gets me back to the original topic. I have to say that my main fear about that kind of spontaneous “constructive criticism” does not promote creativity and uniqueness. What if your “constructive criticism” steers a creative but inexperienced and insecure young person off from his/her own, unique track?

posted about 5 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Yes! I agree with you KristaniA, i really find it strange when people take the time to comment but then don’t bother to spend one second clicking their vote.
I agree with the reasons you came up with, about people only commenting to gain
chic points, and to gain recognition so that people will be more likely to look at their blogs. and maybe also about people not wanting others to get into the style gallery??
“I try not to judge outfits which style doesn’t appeal to my personal taste. If I don’t seem to like what I see (because it’s not my cup of tea or too bizzare for my taste), then I won’t comment or vote.
It’s thats simple and I think it’s fair. It’s better than leaving a short positive comment with a hidden intention to make yourself look good.”

Yeah I agree with this!! I don’t mind if people don’t like my outfits that much, but i’d expect the people who Do comment to vote because they actually enjoy my outfit, not just comment for the sake of commenting so i’ll look at their blog, or comment to receive a point.

Whenever I put up a new photo I always get about 5 or 6 positive comments before my pic gets into the style gallery, and then a few days later end up with 1/2 to 2/3 the number of votes than comments. I realise that people can forget to vote, but sometimes the first couple of comments I get on my pics can even say “chic outfit!!”— but I still don’t get a ‘chic’ vote (or even any vote) from them.

I enjoy chictopia so I try to vote on all the outfits i like (though I don’t comment on all of them.) I’m not trying to gain chic points or become more popular by commenting on almost everyone’s pictures and therefore making my blog more likely to be looked at, I only comment on pics that I genuinely really like. A lot of the time I probably don’t comment with anything particularly constructive, but I do vote and try to say what I like about the outfit.

Maybe the editors should think about something where you can only comment if you’ve voted first??

posted about 5 years ago

kkkeiOK
Style_council
kkkeiOK

I think everything boils down to the chic points and style gallery system. Personally, I find it annoying.

Why isn’t everybody’s photo given equal footing? Why make Chictopia into such a competitive arena? It kills the fun and freedom that fashion should be.

I think there is no need for me to go into details of the myriad of problems the chic points and style gallery system generates. THIS. And everything people keep bringing up, overrr and overrr again.

I can’t believe the Chictopian mods are blind towards it – I as a new user noticed it within 2 days. I’ve read repetitive comments ditto-ing the same problems, narrowed down to the same old problem. What I can’t understand is why the Chictopian mods don’t, or won’t, do something about it.

If we want Chictopia to be a worthwhile community, then you have to first remedy the root of the problem. Just air-brushing over the superficial symptoms of the main problem isn’t going to achieve anything towards making Chictopia a better community.

I hope the Chictopian mods do listen. Or else I can guarantee that we will be seeing the same comments under different headings overrr and overrr again.

posted about 5 years ago

Michael993
Style_council
Michael993

I think people should be more discerning with what they vote ‘Chic’, because when I first joined Chictopia in September 2008, every outfit in the Style Gallery was perfectly put together. But so many people have joined since then, and I think the site has become watered down by the cute-T-shirt-with-ballet-flats crowd, who flippantly give everything a ‘Chic’ rating.

posted about 5 years ago

StrawberryFields
Style_council
StrawberryFi...

If i ever vote on something i always leave a comment.
If someone asks if they need anything added or taken away from their outfit i will say if i beleive they do.
But it may just be they need to add a splash of colour or wear a belt,its nothing ever rude.
I beleive my constructive criticism is done in a tactful positive way,but then perhaps i wouldnt really say im giving out criticism.
And im not one to talk ive yet to post a picture,but i do like to look at fashion and peoples own perspective on it.

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

as a new member I’ve found this discussion very interesting and wanted to throw out some observations from a newbie point. :)

I respect the OP’s desire to improve the community interaction and quality of effort here. The responses here have brought up very valid points.

on the subject of critique

Judging by the pics it looks like Chictopia is mostly made of mid-teens, some early 20s. Which means I’m considerably older than most. I also come from a graphic design background. Both of those mean I’m quite comfortable giving and receiving constructive criticism. However, I suspect that that the majority of the user base is both unfamiliar with the process of giving & receiving constructive/productive criticism, and also lacking in the emotional and life experience to do so gracefully.

Which is not to say that younger members are inherently immature or unfit to do so, just that a lack of experience combined with the anonymity of the internet could very easily be the recipe of a big knee-jerk hatefest. “you’re too fat to wear that” rather than “perhaps a different cut would be more flattering”. “Your style is so ugly” rather than “I wouldn’t wear that myself, but it does look nice on you”.

My habit when leaving comments has been tell people WHAT I like and WHY. Partly to help solidify my own understanding of what I’m reacting to by “talking” it through. And partly in hopes that such information will be helpful, or at least let the individual know that their details and efforts are appreciated.

If there’s something I really do NOT like, I usually just don’t mention it. For example, if I think the shirt is fantastic, but the shoes are hideous I just say I like the shirt. Again, figuring that at least it’s helpful for someone to know what worked in the outfit, and by inference what doesn’t.

I don’t leave critique unless it is specifically asked for. I’ve tried to pose questions or request feedback in my blog posts so others know it’s ok to share both the positive and negative with me. But I rarely feel comfortable volunteering a critique that isn’t requested.

As with any member-driven community, the members themselves will determine the dynamic here. When dealing with a large member base this usually nets out in the mediocre/generically palatable area, with a minority group striving for connection and quality. I think that’s just the nature of the internet.

posted about 5 years ago

10 points - Become a fan

Regarding the chic points system and being seen in the gallery:

(As an aside, Chictopia isn’t all that intuitive and lacks any new user info or help section. I think this accounts for some of the problems with votes vs. comments.)

I do feel it is difficult for new members to be seen, anywhere. Which makes it difficult to gauge the style vibe here, get connected, and most importantly get feedback.

Friends’ and fans’ images show up on member’s home pages, which means if you have a good number of either all of your images are being displayed to many people each day. Which starts to create a self-perpetuating system of views and subsequent votes/comments.

However, it can take us newbies weeks or months to acquire a decent friend base (especially if we’re trying to be discerning and not friend-whoring). Which means that during our first months here we are almost completely reliant on the new images section of the Style Council… AND those council members actually taking the time to click and read our posts… AND taking the time to vote on our images… AND doing so within the first 24 hours.

That’s a lot of “ANDs” just to get an image visible to the larger Chictopia community, so we can then connect on our style. (which goes back to the comments-but-not-votes issues others have mentioned.) And in the meantime it can make for an isolating environment, where you feel you’re sort of shouting into the void. ;)

my own experience

I’ve been fortunate enough to have met a handful of wonderful people my first week here. :) But it still feels like I’m talking to myself 90% of the time I post in my blog. Even clear, non-pixelated, well-cropped images don’t make it into the galleries. So I often can’t get feedback to know if something sparks ideas for anyone else, or what I can do with something just bought/made, etc. because most of the Chictopia site doesn’t know I’m here. ;)

I’m happy to take the time to build connections, I’m not in a rush here. ;) But as I said it’s a bit frustrating feeling as though I can’t find many who share my interests or thought process. Meanwhile it’s a bit of a one-way relationship with the site.

To be clear, I’m really not interested in popularity here:
I don’t comment to up my point value, I comment when something strikes me as particularly fun, creative, inspiring, or stylish.
I don’t post in the forum to up my point value either, I reply when something interests me or I think I may be able to help with a question.
I don’t blog with images that I think will have universal appeal so they get selected, I post things that truly inspire or interest me.

That said, as a new person I would like more opportunity for exposure for the purpose of having more opportunity to connect. I’d like to know who else out there shares my sense of style, or has a creative process similar to mine, or gets inspired by similar things. I’d like to get feedback for suggestions from those with similar or well-developed sensibilities.

Which brings me to the end thought…

posted about 5 years ago

10 points - Become a fan

what can be done?

I think a juried system is definitely necessary in a site like this, otherwise there is no level of quality maintained. You’d end up with hundreds of blurry, dark, blownout, or indecipherable images that erode the quality of the site. Making it look on par with a bad MySpace page. Which results in turning off those new users with great style and quality.

On the flip side, you don’t want to over-regulate and squash creative but unpopular stylings. New, avant-garde, or simply niche styles take awhile to become accepted by the mainstream. If they get immediately vetoed for being uncool or unfamiliar that won’t help the site either.

However, my sense is that there isn’t much of a middle ground right now for new members. I continually see tons of images that I’m truly surprised were voted as hot enough for the public gallery, while later discovering great images buried in someone’s blog that seem to never have made the cut. It appears that much of the voting system is based on what is popular rather than what is creative, exciting, sophisticated, new, or stylish. Of course that’s not always the case, but I’ve seen a few comments on blogs lamenting this.

So I can understand why new members feel they have to resort to either (a) friending and commenting indiscriminately or (b) posting the same dang outfits and images everyone else does just to get an “in” with the popular kids, so they can finally feel immersed in the site.

What’s causing these problems?

- Perhaps this is because the Style Council is (seemingly) composed of individuals mostly perpetuating the same style rather than simply good style irrespective of personal preference.

- Perhaps it’s because you can make it on the Style Council through sheer popularity or just by leaving a bulk volume of comments, which then perpetuates the “I only vote for what I wear” issue. You end up with a council that’s made of those who want what is popular, not those with impeccable style (as the name would imply).

- Perhaps it’s because the minority who are interested in less conventional style or interested in more in-depth critique take longer to earn enough points to make it on the council, so they are under represented. Which causes a catch-22.

Those with more experience here likely have more insight on that. I do very much enjoy it here. And I recognize that I am likely not the typical Chictopia user. ;) but I am interested in having a more rich experience here.

ok, that’s like a week’s worth of “talking”. I’ll shut up now. ;)

posted about 5 years ago

BirdsandBees
Style_council
BirdsandBees

Woah, big thread! Lots of nice opinions, can’t believe I haven’t come across this yet..

I’ve found that people are pretty nice and inviting here. That’s why I like it.
I didn’t come here with any expectations, so to make a few acquaintances has been really cool! And I’ve also had a ton of fashion inspiration, learned a lot more, and attempted to open up my own personal style a little bit.

I think it’s great people are open to others’ styles. I am trying to open my eyes and take others style in. HERE IS THE PLACE TO DO IT!

posted about 5 years ago

anonymours
Style_council
anonymours

i agree…although all my posts are “nice” “awesome” and of the liking. i’ll try to be more criticizing i suppose (but constructive of course)

posted about 5 years ago

amorphous_face
Style_council
amorphous_face

Sometimes i comment and don’t vote because I may really think there stars and stripes high heels are cool buy the rest of the outfit is lacking so I don’t hit the chic button.

posted almost 2 years ago

lizolsen2011
Style_council
lizolsen2011

One reason that I can say I’ve personally commented and not voted is if I like a particular part of the outfit but not the whole outfit. Like I love their shoes but don’t love the outfit. I will comment on the shoes or the bag or some aspect but I don’t like the look as a whole so I don’t vote for it. The only reason I haven’t given constructive criticism is because I’ve never seen anyone give any and so I thought that wasn’t the thing to do here. I didn’t want to be the only person saying something not 100 percent positive when everyone else is just saying what they like. Maybe if more people started making constructive comments people would see them and follow suit. I think it would also be good if the person who posts the look says if they want input.

posted 11 months ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION