Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
TAGS:  careerstudies
Rebel_Lady09
Style_council
Rebel_Lady09

so hey fashion lovers !
I desperately need your advises !! ..I’m still studying, specialized in physics but I have a huge passion in journalism… I don’t know what should I do next… I always wanted to be a journalist, but my parents want me to continue studying physics in college !
so what would you do if you were in my position ? would you do go for what you always wanted OR would you do what your parents think is best for you ?

posted about 1 year ago
adriennee
Style_council
adriennee

I’m in a similar position. What I’m studying in school doesn’t exactly fit with my journalism pursuits, but I try to think of it as a take on the liberal arts education.

Study physics, and write on the side – submit pieces to various media outlets, and you can work on building your portfolio while getting a degree in an equally badass field of study, like physics. Your major lends itself to your career, but it definitely doesn’t dictate it.

posted about 1 year ago

aboutthatnerdlyfe
New_user aboutthatnerdlyfe is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When aboutthatnerdlyfe reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
aboutthatner...

Journalism is an awesome major, but unfortunately, the job market isn’t really that easy for journalists right now (I could be wrong, but I’m basing this off of my friends). I suggest you continue with physics and do journalistic work on the side. There’s online magazines, blogs and newspapers that would be willing to take you in, given that you provide them samples of your work.

You could always minor as well, so you could put this as part of your credentials!
But in the end, I always have to say that it is up to YOU. If this is something you are TRULY PASSIONATE about and are willing to make major sacrifices, then go for it! In the end, YOU are the one living YOUR life :)

Cheers.

posted about 1 year ago

fashionophile
Style_council
fashionophile

I agree with the ladies above. You can always do freelance works to build up a portfolio of writing samples. Studying physics doesn’t bar you from that. Dabble in journalism and see if it’s for you. The idea of something can be very different that how that something is once you actually pick it up.

posted about 1 year ago

Raivyn
Style_council
Raivyn

I wish someone had written this sooner, but you need to do what YOU want to do. Obviously, when you ask such a question in a public forum, you're unsure and confused... and, when it comes down to it, you really need to listen to your gut instinct and do what will make you happy. I think you already know what makes you happy, and you just need to go from there. It's hard to get a job as a writer most of the time, but if you really love what you do, and know you can make a difference, and would do it just because that's what you think you should do (not for the money), then that's probably what you need to be doing. Anything worth doing isn't going to come easy, and it all comes down to having the guts to be yourself, and keep doing it every day. F*** what other people think- in the end, it doesn't matter. 

posted 8 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION