Forum > Careers

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Senta
Style_council
Senta

Hey there,

so I’m sure now, that the subject I’m studying now (law) won’t make me happy in the future. I’ve realized that I’m too sensitive for this. So I’m quitting after my third semester and searching for something new.
As fashion’s my passion I’m looking for something that has any connection to fashion. Maybe fashion editor, maybe an education in sewing and then studying fashion design or costume design, maybe even story writing or artwork designing for video games (okay, that’s very different from fashion but also a passion).
Btw., fashion and passion makes great stave rhymes. Aw, well. Any ideas where to begin? Or what is even possible at the age of 21?
I’m kinda desperate now that I’ve realized I’ve wasted over a year. Well, maybe it wasn’t wasted. Maybe I’m more confident in trying something creative now that I know that I NEED a creative part in my future job.

posted about 1 year ago
ElloLove77
Style_council
ElloLove77

I went through a similar thing last year. I started out as a pastry arts major, and discovered it wasn’t for me. I switched majors, schools, and even moved to a different state. Switching life plans like this can be really challenging, but it’s worth it once you finally find the place you belong.
Something that really helped me was online “career quizzes.” I took about half a dozen, and they all pointed me in the same direction. They also had narrowed down lists of careers, majors, and job that would suit me, and from there I researched the ones that most interested me and was able find my true calling.
Good luck!!! <3

posted about 1 year ago

Blessedwithmusic
Style_council
Blessedwithm...

I’m in a similar situation. I was a Psychology major in college, but now, out in the “real world” I find that it’s hard to apply in the way I had originally intended to. I’m also realizing my need for a creative-type job. I’d suggest job shadowing someone. Perhaps there are local shops in your town that sell owner-designed clothes or jewelry? It’ll hopefully give you an idea of exactly what the jobs entail and it may lead to an internship or something.

I feel like I wasted a lot of time too, but people around me laugh when I say that and insist that I’m still young, I have time to figure things out. Don’t worry, it’s normal for us “early-twenty-somethings” to be confused about careers at first.

posted about 1 year ago

LittleBee
Forum_moderator
LittleBee

You’re still 21! You’re lucky that you realized what you want in life at an earlier age. I have a lot of friends who decided that they weren’t happy with theirlives at a later age. The early 20s is a perfect time to find your passion.

If you are really interested in the creative world I would recommend meeting with people in that industry first. Ask them questions and see if that’s their field is really the right fit for you.

posted 12 months ago

SaimaStyle
New_user SaimaStyle is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When SaimaStyle reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
SaimaStyle

I also went through a similar realization although much later then you – if I were you I would intern till I’m blue in the face! Look up various websites that display fashion internships, see what the requirements are, fix up your resume and just start applying to all internships that interest you. It is the best and fastest way to figure out what is a good fit for you! Hope I helped :)

posted 11 months ago

debiparna_c
Style_council
debiparna_c

it was not time wasted if you learnt what you can never be from it. been there so can tell you with confidence. try and get a basic course and get a job/internship in fashion. ask around if there is anyone you know who can help you based on where you are.

posted 11 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION