Forum
SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Careers

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
_b0mbshell
New_user _b0mbshell is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When _b0mbshell reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
_b0mbshell

Hey Everybody-

I’m a freshman in college wanting to get into the fashion industry. I am currently a Journalism major, but I’m struggling to figure out whether I want to stick with it or change my major to Marketing. I love fashion, but my passion for writing has diminished a bit since starting school in the Spring. I want a degree in something that I can use to help break into the fashion world but also fall back on if I decided to go in a different direction.

I’m at a crossroads and I have no clue what to do! Help please?

posted about 2 years ago
KateSeverson
New_user KateSeverson is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When KateSeverson reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
KateSeverson

I’d look into marketing, but also see what courses crossover with Journalism and perhaps try to minor in Journalism. Or even double major. I think that having both would really make you stand out a little more when it comes time to look for a job. Diversifying your skills can never hurt.

posted about 2 years ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

Like the others, I was going to suggest seeing if you can do both.

The best thing to do is speak to your course advisor.

posted about 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

You should try minoring in Marketing, or rather, take a masters degree in Marketing, then make Journalism your undergrad course

posted about 2 years ago

marion05
New_user marion05 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When marion05 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
marion05

For me journalism cause it is quite challenging.I remember my dad in Finland where he is choosing for retiring in his work in post office or postituspalvelu but he choose not to retire cause now a days we all know that sending letter to a mail man is really not anymore “in” to many people cause of modern technology.Hope that experience will help you to want you want to get.

posted 10 months ago

avivranthing
Style_council
avivranthing

In terms of trying to get a job in the fashion industry, I think both majors would work because journalism caters to the editorial aspect of it and Marketing can apply to any fashion company’s PR division. Maybe try a minor/major option? If your school offers Media Studies, you should definitely look into that as well – that’s what I’m majoring in and so far I’ve found that it applies to a wide range of jobs and still has the Journalism aspect without being entirely about writing.

posted 10 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION