SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Careers

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
breannalrose
Style_council
breannalrose

I was wondering if you needed a degree to be able to be considered for a internship position in fashion?

posted over 2 years ago
HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

Chictopia hires interns every now and then, and a college degree is definitely required. However, it doesn’t have to be in a major very related to fashion. Intern majors vary from history, biology, to English.

posted over 2 years ago

breannalrose
Style_council
breannalrose

Thank you! :)

posted over 2 years ago

RachelPheasant
Style_council
RachelPheasant

I think it depends: are you working towards your degree? If so a lot of orgs. will take on interns who are still in school.

posted over 2 years ago

Yellowdiamonds
Style_council
Yellowdiamonds

look at it this way- If there are two applicants- someone who possesses a degree and someone who doesn’t- the person with the degree would likely have a better chance(With the exception that the other applicant has extensive experience).

posted over 2 years ago

ArmandLeg
Style_council
ArmandLeg

Definitely not. It really just depends on the company you want to work for. Many do require interns to be able to receive school credit like Teen Vogue but there are tons that don’t require it at all. Check out websites like Intern Queen, Free Fashion Internships and Daily Fashion Jobs and Fashionista.com where they post tons of new internships each day. At the magazine I am interning right now, there is a intern who is only in high school, so it all really differs with each company or internship.

posted about 2 years ago

BethanyMaureen
Style_council
BethanyMaureen

The thing is, a lot of traditional “top schools” like the ivy league, Stanford, Michigan, Berkeley, don’t offer a major specific to fashion. Art schools will offer fashion programs but you may pigeon hole yourself to a very specific profession in fashion too early. Unless you know exactly what you want to do at 18, it’s probably better to just get into a top school and hope that it will give you an edge with your interviews.

posted about 2 years ago

purplewang
Style_council
purplewang

You should check ED2010 and if there’s a company that you’re really interested, just follow their blogs/social media — you’ll probably hear about them hiring interns at some point.

About your major, I find that that’s not really an important part of getting a fashion internship. It’s all about your work experience and extracurricular activities. Did you volunteer at a fashion week happening in your city? Did you work for your school paper? Do you write for a blog? Are you good with Photoshop? That’s the stuff on resumes that fashion companies look for. Major shmajor.

posted almost 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION