SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Careers

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
hayleymedlen
Style_council
hayleymedlen

Okay so I’m a very creaive person, as most of us who signed up for this site should be, and I’m stuck between a few careers. Interior Design and Fashion Design. I love fashion and I get new ideas all the time, but I dont know If I’ll be any good at it. I don’t even know how to sew!!! But I know if I get an education in it I will have an advantage. I’m just really confused right now, and I’m starting my Senior year of High school in 2 months. I should know by now! :( It just seems to me that Interior Design would be the safest way for me to go ( not saying its easy becasues it’s not!). I just really need help. . . So if you guys could give some advice maybe that will help. Or if any of you know any other fashion career that I could consider that would be nice. I’ve also been considering styling.

posted about 3 years ago
clarablopez
Style_council
clarablopez

Follow your dreams!(:

posted about 3 years ago

aprilrose03
Style_council
aprilrose03

I’ve been going through the same thing since high school as well.

First of all, don’t worry! You still have a few years left to decide. I know it feels like there’s a lot of pressure by family or school counselors to pick a career path right out of high school, but your first couple years of college will likely be general classes anyway. You still have a lot of self-discovery left to do. I felt like I knew a lot about myself, but looking back, I now realize how young I really was!
Second, I would definitely recommend getting an education in what you love and are good at. Go to a college that offers design, but also has other majors. Dabble in a few classes of each direction you are divided between, and see how you like them. Also, (not to confuse you even more) have you ever thought of majoring in something like business or marketing? It’s something I’ve been pondering lately, because it would help you to be successful in more than just the creative area if you started your own business or wanted to promote yourself. And they are majors that could still be useful if you decided to switch directions completely.
Finally, DEFINITELY keep pursuing things you love. Even if you just sketch out ideas, or start learning how to sew, there are things you can do right now to give you a head start and help develop skill out of raw talent, if that makes sense.

I still don’t even have my direction figured out, but I just thought I would try to ease your worry a bit! There’s no rush, but you shouldn’t let that keep you from working towards some kind of goal.

posted about 3 years ago

KarenKay
New_user KarenKay is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When KarenKay reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
KarenKay

First off, I just want to say I’m in the same boat as you when it comes to being a senior soon and having no clue what to do.

With that being said, I don’t think either of us has a real issue. As aprilrose said above, we’ve a few years left to decide, so don’t worry! I think maybe if you have some spare time, invest it learning how to sew, drawing techniques, styling conventions, etc. Dabble in everything a little, and see if something really begins to call out to you. Definitely consider double majoring in one of the aforementioned subjects as well as marketing or business, because they could really go hand in hand and help you gain a ground/customer base. Good luck!

posted about 3 years ago

ravenouscreatures
Shop_seller_2 ravenouscreatures is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
ravenouscrea...

Who says at 17/18 you should know what you want to do with the rest of your life. If you are a creative person as you say write down your creative strengths, think about what you will be happy spending you days doing, and recognize your first job will rarely be your dream job. Styling sounds like a great option for you and yet you are still young enough to learn how to sew and create beautiful garments. There are often places in local communities that offer sewing classes, so that is an option for getting your feet wet. Don’t give up on an idea until you have at least given it a try. If you can draw your visions who says you have to be the one to create them, you can always partner with someone whom has the sewing skills and form a formidable creative partnership. Best wishes on your endeavors!!

posted about 3 years ago

Anusha_Outfitter
Style_council
Anusha_Outfi...

I am 24, am still not sure what I want to do. I am corporate trainer but love fashion, I wanted to do fashion designing in college but didn’t think it was a safe option. But now after 7 years of working, I am going back to the fashion industry.
So, do what you like to do, so you won’t have nay regrets.
Good luck with making the choice! :)

posted almost 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION