Twitter
Googleplus
freshlook
New_user freshlook is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When freshlook reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
freshlook

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what their experience was like working or interning at a fashion company? I’ve been applying to internships and I am expecting to start a fashion internship soon (I hope!) but I’d like to be prepared for my interviews and for the internship itself.

I’d be interested to know what it was like working at a fashion company, if you enjoyed it, what kind of work you did.

Thanks!

posted over 3 years ago
glitterpeacock
Style_council
glitterpeacock

^ I’m in the same boat. Please comment helpful Chictopians!

posted over 3 years ago

InBetweenSeams
Style_council
InBetweenSeams

Definitely be prepared for your interview. For example, I intern at Teen Vogue in the photo department, and when I went to my interview, I was sure to know the names of some photographers that interest me, and already knew a little about the job I was interviewing for.

Dress the part! I’m not saying to go out and buy a pair of Miu Miu’s but, you know, be stylish.

And, most importantly BE YOURSELF! It’s the best thing you can do!

x Elizabeth / In Between Seams

posted over 3 years ago

HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

I agree with InBetweenSeams. I’ve hired fashion interns in the past, and this is what I look for.

1. Knowledge of the publication/website. (Can answer questions about past articles, current events going on with the publication/website).
2. Strong work ethic. (On time at the interview, fast correspondence with email).
3. Has ideas to improve the publication/website.
4. Take directions well.
5. Good references from past jobs.

This is a list of questions I typically ask:

1. How did you hear about Company X?
2. What do you like about Company X’s website?
3. What do you think we can improve here at Company X?
4. What are your favorite fashion publications? And what do you like about them?
5. How did you like your past job, what do you like to get out of this current one?

Landing a fashion internship can be challenging in this economy, but the cream of the crop always prevails!

posted over 3 years ago

FauveAndHunter
Style_council
FauveAndHunter

In what field specifically? One thing I know that goes a long way, is to be solution oriented. It might seem obvious, but Ive worked with so many people where that just flies out the window when a hitch shows up and its excruciating.

posted over 3 years ago

charlotte_adele
Style_council
charlotte_adele

Be prepared to do pretty much anything. I worked for a few weeks for free in the children’s design area of a big company and at the end of my time there they commented that I had been their best intern as I hadn’t complained about doing the more boring jobs!
You want to make a good impression,especially if you’ve only got a few weeks working for them, I’m not saying suck up to people, just make sure you turn up on time and don’t have a bad attitude, even if you’re not enjoying the task they’ve set you.

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION