SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Careers

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Zainabsfootprints
Style_council
Zainabsfootp...

Well when I grow up, I would like to be a journalist what ever I’ll choose to be I want to write, any ways I’m wondering if anyone has any advice on which is better fashion or jornailsm. And how are your experiences with fashion and journalism.

posted almost 2 years ago
purplewang
Style_council
purplewang

Hey Zaina!

In my experience, the two are very different. Fashion journalism is mostly focused on trend spotting, celebrities, and designers versus general journalism would really be about news and features (although that depends on what company you’re working for— could be something else like travel or your city’s news). Both are great, except fashion journalism is niche and you’ll probably be immersed in the fashion culture.

You should decide if fashion is right for you. Can you spot trends first? Do you know designers, photographers, and models? Do you venture outside of shopping at H&M? Figure out if you have what it takes because it can be overwhelming. Both are rewarding in their own ways. It’s just about figuring out if you’re right for it!

posted over 1 year ago

FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

Actually I’m taking some journalism classes and it’s very helpful, but it’s a big difference between journalism and fashion writing!

posted over 1 year ago

debiparna_c
Style_council
debiparna_c

journalism and fashion are very different..neither is better than the other..you have to decide which one you prefer more and go for it.

posted over 1 year ago

debiparna_c
Style_council
debiparna_c

and o i should mention a few years ago i faced the same problem.i couldn’t decide if i should pursue journalism or fashion or film.i prepared for all the entrances and took up a completely different subject for graduation (history).around that time i did a course of films and also started blogging about fashion.i realised writing about fashion is fun however i won’t like to study it and then pursue a career in it.

posted over 1 year ago

ToyinOshodi
New_user ToyinOshodi is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When ToyinOshodi reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
ToyinOshodi

Why dont you start your own fashion blog, to give your own perspective of fashion and journalism. Maybe trying both will give you a better insight in which you enjoy most

posted over 1 year ago

AksharTroublesome
Style_council
AksharTroubl...

start with your own blog, as this is the easiest way of entering either world… journalism and fashion are very interesting from the outside, but from the inside, it really is ‘dog eats dog’ ….basically nasty. im talking from experience with both of them >.>

posted over 1 year ago

TheLoveAssembly
New_user TheLoveAssembly is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When TheLoveAssembly reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
TheLoveAssembly

Hi Zaina!

It’s interesting to hear your intended dream career!

PurpleWang has pointed out the two different types of Journalism perfectly as seen in my experience also. Fashion Journalism does focus more on trends, celebrities and the culture behind it all. I know many fashion journalists that don’t necessarily have a degree in Journalism but because they are truly passionate and knowledgable about the industry have managed to get jobs in leading fashion magazines.

We feature weekly interviews on The Love Assembly with individuals working in the creative worlds of Fashion, Beauty & Design. So if you ever need a little inspiration or insight in their roles feel free to have a read and ask questions.

Hope this helps :)

posted over 1 year ago

Lillyjo
Style_council
Lillyjo

I spoke to a student of fashion journalism and she said she wishes she chose standard journalism. She said the industry itself doesn’t favour fashion journalism and that it excludes you from a lot of opportunities. I myself have interned at a fashion magazine and it was really pathetic what they make you do there and how you get spoken to I think they don’t take it as serious as maybe a newspaper or something would.

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION